1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Lost my Microstream, replace with?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by swedishelite22, Aug 20, 2020.

1. swedishelite22

swedishelite22 Loaded Pockets

I lost my Microstream on a job site and am debating if I should replace it with the same, or if there is something better out there.

I love the size, shape, feel, function of the Microstream C4 but the 45 lumen often wasn't enough. The new USB version is nice but I don't want to be tied to recharging and like the ability to simply throw in a new AA or AAA as needed.

1) Short Essay Question: What do you intend to use this light for?
    EDC in 5th pocket, seeing both in tight spots (think engine compartment), up into 20-30' high racking in well lit warehouse, general every day use in the dark.

2) What Region/Country/State will the light be purchased in?
    I will likely be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

3) Price Range:
    <$50 ideally

4) Format:
    PART A
    I want a flashlight.

PART B
    Length:
    2-4 inches. (Pocket carry)

PART C
    Width:
    I prefer a short narrow light (eg 3-4" long by 1/2" wide)

PART D
    Weight:
    With the size requirement this doesn't matter

5) What kind of "bulb".
    Don't care, just want the best fit for my needs.

6) What batteries do you want to use?
    I want common Alkaline batteries ideally. (AA, AAA)

7) How much light do you want?
    Minimum 40/50 lumen on a low mode, 150+ on high

8) Throw vs Flood:
    Throw

9) Runtime:
    I don't run it for long periods of time, but don't want to change batteries every 5 minutes either.

10) Durability:
    Is not thrown around intentionally but it will be dropped and bumped.

11) Switch Type:
    Momentary and clickie

12) Switch Location:
    Tail

13) Operational Modes:
    2 modes is ideal based on brightness, strobe is a waste.

14) Is it important whether the body is metal or plastic/composite?
    Doesn't matter, metal is ideal but as long as it's durable.

15) Special Needs:
    Comfortable deep carry pocket clip that doesn't just your finger (nail) to use.

2. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

Take a look at the UltraTac A1 V2 . For $16, it's a pretty solid flashlight.

Edit to expand a bit on my post....I have a Microstream. I love it. It's size, simplicity and reliability are top notch. I don't like rechargeable flashlights. For some irrational reason, I don't trust them. I like knowing that worse case, I can run into a convenience store to replace batteries.

I got the UntraTac a couple weeks ago. I wanted something with more output than the Microstream for my bike rides. It uses a single AA battery and can take a 14500 too. It has three modes without memory. The tail clicky is easy to engage for powering on or changing through modes. It generates plenty of light for whatever occasion. It's been dropped on concrete a couple of times accidentally and has suffered no damage. Build quality is very good, but not up to Fenix or Olight standards IMO.

Long term reliability remains to be seen, but I like what I've seen so far.

Last edited by Wishoot, Aug 21, 2020
    #2 Wishoot, Aug 20, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2020
    creekfan likes this.
  3. kukla

kukla Loaded Pockets

4. swedishelite22

Yup, I'm well aware of where and how to buy a new one... My question is if there is something else I'm unaware of that may be a better fit for my needs ... As I mentioned in the first part of my post which you should probably read before commenting on how easy things are.

John F. and Fishin Fool like this.
  5. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I get it. I've been a Microstream and Stylus Pro user for quite a while; both suit my needs. Regarding the USB version of the Microstream, USB charging is 'nice', but just about equal in convenience is just throwing in a new AAA given how easy they are to find. Since I don't need to replace the cell so often I don't get overly concerned about environmental impact. On the negative side, the USB version has a multi-mode controlled by how you click the tail switch. Doesn't work for me. I can't seem to reliably 'click' with 'just right' force for this to be useful -- hugely frustrating.

Happy hunting....

Moshe ben David

6. CSG

CSG Loaded Pockets

Even though you were rather unpleasant to kukla who was simply trying to help, you might look into the Olight i3T EOS.

Willy likes this.
  7. swedishelite22

I simply replied in kind to his patronizing/sarcastic comment to a clear "or" request.

I appreciate your suggestion and will have a look at the i3T.

John F. and Fishin Fool like this.
  8. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

If you have not seen the ProTac AAA then it seems an obvious alternative to me?
    It is essentially a cranked up Microstream in some ways and though a little bigger does offer different output levels and is likely as much like a Micro as yo will find in an AAA light.

There are not many AAA lights with a Momentary Tail Switch really and the combination of features of the Micro leave it in a pretty unique niche of its own in my experience.

9. jcombs

jcombs Loaded Pockets

They don’t get much love here and I’m not sure why but I’m a fan of the Eagletac D25A series lights. The basic aluminum is around $50 but I’ve found them on sale for $38 before.

I’ve owned several different versions, Titanium, CR123 and AA and they’ve all been good. I’ve owned some higher end lights Muyshondt, etc but I almost always carry the D25A and feel they’re a step up from Microstream.
    [​IMG]

burns, swedishelite22 and FiaOlleDog like this.
  10. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

11. kukla

kukla Loaded Pockets

Oh, well golly gee, I didn't know that the "or" was a requirement in order to participate in your "clear 'or' request".

12. Spartan857

Spartan857 Loaded Pockets

Macrostream just came out, an upgraded but perfect light for what your describing.

13. Gogogordy

Gogogordy Loaded Pockets

Is there anyone who ISN’T aware of, or capable of shopping on Amazon (or elsewhere on the entire internet for that matter?)

I didnt find the OP’s response any snarkier than KUKLA’s with the Amazon link included...just saying.

John F. and swedishelite22 like this.
  14. kukla

kukla Loaded Pockets

You're offended by an Amazon link, and THAT makes ME "snarky"?

15. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

The Lumintop AAA is a great bang-for-buck buy. My only complaint with it is it won't tail stand (even though I seldom use that feature).

16. swedishelite22

After going back and forth on this light, can you please help confirm I have this right. If I am wrong, this might be the prefect light.. if I am right I don't see the draw to the light.

The D25A with a XM-L2 U4 LED is listed with 2/16/232/405 lumen output but that's not real as the ANSI lumen is 2/11/167/286?

The top output is only in 30 second bursts before the light turns itself down to 60% max (essentially the 167) to pretect against heat build up? Or in a decent body recipe I was watching they said the step down doesn't happen until closer to the 5 minute mark and the light is hot then?

In terms of settings, its either:
    -high/strobe
    -lowlow/low/med/high/9-zillion burst modes
    -You program it to remember the last setting

In that, I'm left taping 3 or 4 times each use to get to a usable 167/286 (since 2 and 11 aren't typically usable in any lit setting) or programming the memory to remember the 167 upon click and fiddling with it to get another output when needed, or having to twist the head between high and low?

I also just realized it's a reverse click which (coming from streamligh) is an adjustment. Not really sure I understand why you'd want a reverse click .

#16 swedishelite22, Aug 26, 2020
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2020
  17. Gogogordy

Gogogordy Loaded Pockets

Well, the OP didn’t ask how to procure a replacement of his same light, but thats the advice you provided. There isn’t anyone on this forum who doesn’t know exactly how to buy stuff.

And while I didnt find your input offensive, it wasn’t what was being asked and inasmuch the OP’s reply to your input wasn’t inappropriate IMO, but apparently you felt otherwise.

But NOW you’re starting to sound a bit snarky about the whole thing! LOL.

18. kukla

kukla Loaded Pockets

"am debating if I should replace it with the same, or if there is something better out there."
    here, in a nutshell, is his request.
    my response was to illustrate where, at a reasonable price, he could get a replacement if that's what he were to decide to do.
    i received disrespectful comments as a result.
    have yourself a great day.

"pick a little, talk a little, pick a little, talk a little, pick pick pick.................."
    Meredith Wilson

CSG and EZDog like this.
  19. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Great MM reference!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kukla likes this.
  20. jcombs

jcombs Loaded Pockets

I’ve owned my current D25A for a long time and don’t remember if I programmed it or not, I’m not even certain what LED I have and I’m traveling and can’t confirm.

There are only 2 output levels, low and high, last mode comes on with the tail switch click, twist the front ring and it alternates to the other level. I like it as I either need a lot of light or not very much, YMMV.

There may be a strobe mode with a light press on the rear switch but I never use it. I’m not a light aficionado or snob and I like the simple operation of this light but it may not be to everyone’s taste.

FiaOlleDog and swedishelite22 like this.