1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Lost my first item to the MAN

Discussion in 'General EDC Discussion' started by gatorbait1872, Jul 10, 2017.

1. gatorbait1872

gatorbait1872 Loaded Pockets

Apparently a Leatherman Micra is a matter of national security at Universal Studios in Orlando. They gave me the opportunity to walk the mile or so back to the car but with antsy kids I just surrendered it. Really ticked me off, don't know what kind of damage I was gonna do with a Micra but oh well. Guess I'll order another one when I get home.

2. Trickster

Trickster Loaded Pockets

There should be a law against this ... Basically something like "If you forbid people from carrying stuff in your establishment that they are allowed to carry in the streets you must have facilities to store the items and are responsible for any losses that might occur."

jstert, surefire7, 16VGTIDave and 9 others like this.
  3. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

I agree. Make the locker rental available right at the security gate.

4. Journo

Journo Loaded Pockets

That sucks, I lost some EMT shears the other week at a museum in London, they found them during a "security" search, which is odd cos they didn't find the knife in my pocket.

5. Ethos

Ethos Loaded Pockets

They would make a lot more money even at $1 a locker, but then their staff wouldn't have so many cool toys.

6. gatorbait1872

gatorbait1872 Loaded Pockets

That's what ticked me off, I know it went in his pocket as soon as I walked off.

jstert likes this.
  7. ArkansasFan30

I've posted here before about a guard from Newark who accosted me over a pair of trauma shears at Disney World - Hollywood Studios. An older, kindly gentleman guard rolled his eyes, pushed his hat to the back of his head, and said to her with a surprised tone "it's fine, let him pass, they're here to have fun."

Rfpd29 and jstert like this.
  8. quietconundrum
    • In Omnia Paratus

quietconundrum EDC Junkie

I nearly had this happen at a Sounders game at Centurylink Field (Seattle). Forgot to leave my out-of-state EDC back at my brother's house (knife, flashlight, LM Charge ALX, etc) and had a panic moment when I saw the bag/pocket check lines w/ security guards searching everyone. We covertly halted, reversed a few steps and I stashed everything at the bottom of my brother's Mission Workshop messenger bag, and luckily, the security folks were not thorough at all and we made it through without incident. It was also a bit disconcerting, considering what else they probably miss on a daily basis amongst so many thousands of people. Ultimately, I was just glad not to have my tools confiscated. Sorry to hear that your situation didn't have such an easy out.

JHGM likes this.
  9. Ross2187

Ross2187 Loaded Pockets

As someone who grew up with Disneyland seasons passes, you bring with only what you need, its Disney after all! A water bottle, cellphone, wallet, car keys. You don't need a knife, tools, or a flashlight in such places. Parks like that are run like such tight ships that the staff is on top of it, and you treat those parks like TSA facilities.If you do that, you'll stay out of trouble. I'm all for being prepared, but such tools are simply not necessary at these parks

herries and ItsHardToKnow like this.
  10. ArkansasFan30

Annual Passholder for WDW myself. We stay on property at the Deluxe Resorts.

Wife gets blister. We take tape and scissors.

Otherwise, no, take little, buy a lot. Great times!! Happiest place on Earth indeed.

I'm a sucker for that Swiss Family Robinson tree house. One of my favorite movies as a little fella. Still is.

Plus meeting Mickey always makes me tear up.

#10 ArkansasFan30, Jul 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
    pujhalla likes this.
  11. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

It's been a while, but as I recall Disney World/Universal Studios had plenty of dark places where if you dropped something, a flashlight would be greatly appreciated. As soon as someone tries to rationalize a flashlight being a security threat, they're at least going to be treated to a look like they might be the stupidest person on the planet. Crikey, even the TSA hasn't stooped to confiscating flashlights.

Tight ship or not, everyone the world over should be a little bit sadder and feel a bit diminished when a Micra is seen as posing a security threat.

ATB,
    Sam

JHGM, Cape, jstert and 3 others like this.
  12. earthman

earthman EDC Junkie!!!

The same could be said for the majority of places one might visit, 99% of the time you won't need to use any of those items but what about the one time you might?
    In these modern times, what with terrorism etc, a small knife or torch with strobe function may just save your life or aid you to safety,........I don't want to rely on the staff at such venues for my safety, there's no way that they can be there for everyone.

13. ItsHardToKnow

ItsHardToKnow Loaded Pockets

Now youre thinking - they could make a killing off of people like the OP who doesnt want to lose his tool, but wouldnt mind spending a buck or two on a locker for the day.

Smart.

Now to get that idea to the various amusement parks etc.

Had another idea - if carrying a small bag, what if you could make a false floor in one - people do it in cars, Dont think it'd be too hard to make a pack with a very shallow false floor, just for a light and tool.
    Thats also considering they arent waving a wand, just browsing through.

huntnow likes this.
  14. ArkansasFan30

Disney has metal detectors now.

jsl6000 likes this.
  15. ItsHardToKnow

Ah, havent been in decades.

16. ArkansasFan30

You're missing out!

17. ItsHardToKnow

Maybe one day, as a bachelor I dont know that it has a lot to offer me at the moment.

18. ArkansasFan30

It's made for adults. A lot of it doesn't even apply to modern kids. My wife and I were going before we were married. I didn't go until I was 32.

19. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

No, I am not missing out. Fly fishing, camping, hiking or even flying my RC planes is more appealing.

We have taken our boys to 5 of the 8 open Lego Land locations. 2 in the US and 3 in Europe. New York opens in 2019. The big sword fights in the lobby can be alarming when your 4 year old joins in the fray. The Carlsbad location is where my sons discovered poolside service. Just show your room key and we don't have to get out of the pool for dinner.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  20. ArkansasFan30

There's nowhere else I'd rather be, LOL. Poolside service at Hurricane Hanah's, relaxing in the lazy river followed by a night of festivities at Epcot.