1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Lost my EWP-01 :-(

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by b.s., May 28, 2017.

1. b.s.

b.s. Loaded Pockets

Well, the inevitable happened. The clip on my EWP-01 finally broke and before I could get through to Surefire CS for a replacement (they just didn't pick up) my pen slid out of my pocket and disappeared.

I figure that I got my money out of it after 6 years of continuous use.

I had my gripes....

- the anodizing was slick
    - the tip backed itself out all the time
    - the triangular shape didn't give the user much freedom to grip the pen normally.
    - the loud crack it would make if you dropped it on a table during a meeting was distracting
    - And the worst part ... it seemed slightly top heavy for comfortable writing.

I do miss being able to use nearly ANY refill. And this negated any complaint I had.

My question:

Are there any EWP-01 users that recommend another pen.

Something that gives me the same flexibility, but resolves some of my issues (with the pen)?

2. bj warkentin

bj warkentin Loaded Pockets

Not an EWP-01 owner, so take this for what its worth...

The Ti Pocket Pro, a kickstarter project, that is due out this fall (just was massively successfully overfunded), seems to address many of your issues. It has a round barrel, with a non aggressive grip, uses a innovative clutch mechanism that allows the use of many different diameters of refills and adjusts for overall body length to fit both Parker style (short) and G2 style (long) refills. It is specifically designed for deep pocket carry with a top mount clip. Basically all titanium, so is a fairly light pen, but still is all metal so would probably be noisy if dropped.

I have backed a number of Big Idea Designs projects and they have all been very well made. They also run very professional Kickstarter projects with things shipping on time.

Time will tell if they nailed this one, but I am excited to get mine as I have been looking for the perfect pocket carry pen for many years.

3. b.s.

b.s. Loaded Pockets

Hmmm very interesting.

I think this does solve most of my issues. I'll have to keep an eye on this one and maybe grab one of their click pens while I wait. Thanks for the heads up!

4. RMinNJ

RMinNJ Loaded Pockets

I think the slider or glider would work for you...
    Grooved finish keep the grip not slick.
    The glider can accommodate g2 length refills...the slider can accomdate g2 with cutting or parker.
    Strong clip.
    If you get the stainless steel may even weigh as much as the ewp01? Ti is the lightless. Mine has been durable.

5. bj warkentin

bj warkentin Loaded Pockets

I have both the Shaker (parker refill) & Mover (G2 refill) in a number of different materials, and Will's latest the Glider, in Titanium. The Mover used to be my pocket edc. I love this pen but had the occasional issue with the clicky mechanism getting bumped and deploying the refill. I really like the Glider and the bolt action has a very high fiddle factor but I don't like it for pocket carry. Reason is that I carry my wallet and pen in right front pocket, and a minitool, TPT and flashlight in the watch pocket, with change and key in the left front pocket. I find I end up rubbing up against the bolt mechanism when I get my wallet out and it bugs me.

OTOH, Will's clips are outstanding and have stood up to many months of front pocket carry. If you like heavy pens, I cannot recommend a Mover or Shaker, in brass, stainless, or copper enough. The Mover in copper, is hands down my current favourite pen. I love the barrel size, the subtle spiral grooving, the weight, and the patina as it ages.

If you are into capped pens the TI Arto is a nice pen. The clutch mechanism accommodates a truly absurd number of refills, and the clip is perfect for deep pocket carry. Only issue I have with mine is that I am not thrilled with the aesthetics of the threading on the back third of the pen, used to post the cap.

Ckundred likes this.