1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Looking to step my game up

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Thisguy93, May 5, 2016.

1. Thisguy93

Thisguy93 Loaded Pockets

So I talked to SWMBO. she said if I quit smoking, I could buy a NICE knife. I'm finally going to do it. I'm getting healthy AND a reward! So. I'm looking to spend about 150. I'm in love with the idea of a ZT 0350. what do you guys think of this knife? Are there any similar that are an outstanding quality with a great warranty? I really appreciate your input

2. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

My 350 is really the knife I carry the most and I like almost everything about it!
    It is a great heavy use,never worry about over stressing it work every day knife and is big enough to tackle heavy jobs while still being easily carried for me too.

The only downside is that it is a pocket shredder to say the least,but worth it!
    Sort of like your Marriage sounds to me?
    Man am I glad I am not married anymore!

There are also a whole lot of other great knives in that price range so why not give a little detail about your use?

3. Thisguy93

Thisguy93 Loaded Pockets

Man, it's the usual cutting stuff. Anything from mechanics work to trimming the blinds, food prep to cleaning my nails. I'm the person everyone goes to for a knife

Sent from my ASUS ZenFone 2E using Tapatalk

4. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Well I keep trying different knives and the 0350 is the one that seems to always end up back in the pocket.
    I also really like the 0900 which I have been carrying for several months now but somehow I keep cutting myself with that one?
    I also prefer a larger blade than that for EDC but otherwise can not say anything bad about it at all,its me that seems to be the problem there?!

The 0566 is also really nice but not nearly as Beastly as the 0350 and so its a lot easier to carry.

I would also take a look at the Spydie Gayle Bradley,amazing knife and steel and much,much more heavy duty than you think it would be given its good looks.

Same for the mighty Griptillian knives and the AXIS lock is sweet too for not being a flipper.
    If you decide you like the AXIS also look at a Benchmade Contego,trust me if you hold one you will want one!

I have also been carrying a Rat1 recently knowing I would be cutting in a destructive manner and not wanting to kill a more pricey knife on purpose and I have to say the Rat is a crazy good knife,I mean CRAZY!!!!! For the price I don't see how it could be beat and I am trying to beat it too!

soundlessnut likes this.
  5. Thisguy93

Thisguy93 Loaded Pockets

Does the recurve help the usefulness? Does it lock up solid? Factory sharp? When you use it, does it feel too overbuilt? Sorry for so many questions, I'm just nervous about my first expensive knife. I don't want to buy it, then hate it, because I won't keep a knife I won't carry. Except my pops sharps 300. But that's sentimental :)

6. Wolfman Zack
    • In Omnia Paratus

Wolfman Zack Loaded Pockets

I'd recommend a ZT 566 over the 350, easier blade shape to sharpen, and the handle is much more comfortable for large hands.

If you don't need something massive, the ZT 450 is also right at that price point.....its an amazing quality knife without being as overbuilt and heavy.

Other knives to consider are the Spyderco Manix 2 or Manix 2 XL, and Paramilitary 2.

7. M4Lki3r
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

M4Lki3r Loaded Pockets

Love my Manix 2XL and the Paramilitary 2. Even though the 2XL is larger than the PM2, the PM2 gets sideways looks from non-knife people as it looks 'aggressive.' The fatter, leaf-style blade of the 2XL makes it less aggressive looking.

[​IMG]

8. Thisguy93

Thisguy93 Loaded Pockets

Those spyderco's just look fragile to me. Plus I like a wider blade

Lightnig likes this.
  9. Wolfman Zack
    • In Omnia Paratus

Just FYI, the Manix 2 XL blade is actually wider than a ZT 350.
    The blade stock might be a bit thinner, but not by much.

The PM-2 is thicker than my ZT's at the spine, but it has a thin tip, so I'll buy the fragile claim on that, but there is nothing weak or unsubstantial about the Manix 2 XL.

10. Strayz

Strayz Loaded Pockets

Something in between the 350 and 566, take a look at the 562. it is a nice combination of features and fits the hand better than the 350, doesn't shred the pocket. It is a bit larger than the 566, but you will like it.

Wolfman Zack likes this.
  11. Wolfman Zack
    • In Omnia Paratus

The 562 is great, I'm carrying mine right now.

It's a bit above the OP's $150 budget though.

12. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

This is why you need to handle knives yourself before buying one.
    I feel the exact opposite about these 2 knives and I also have larger paws.
    In mine the 0350 is just a great fit but the 0566 seems to be a little lacking.
    Different Strokes as they say!
    Also I have had no issues sharpening the recurve at all,the Sharpmaker just does its thing as long as I do mine.

I also prefer the flippers for work as I often have just one hand available and for me they are by far the simpler way to deploy a knife reliably.

I understand the thoughts about the PM2 too but it is in no way fragile or prone to breaking even if it might look the part,there are plenty here who will attest to that too.

Wolfman Zack likes this.
  13. Roger

Roger Loaded Pockets

I carried a 350 for the longest time and had been considering an upgrade to the 0566 for a LONG time. After a recent life changing event I decided I was going to go for it and pull the trigger. I got the 0566 Carbon Fiber and was happy as heck....for about 2 days. I've since gone back to the 350 and will probably be selling the 566 :(. Maybe I would have been happier with the G10 scales but as of now the 350 is the one for me!

14. Lightnig

Lightnig Loaded Pockets

Between the 0350 and 0566, I much prefered the 0350. It just felt more like a quality knife, fit my hand better, and I found more utilitarian.

The biggest impression about the 0566 I had was that it was trying too hard be be what it was supposed to be - but never achieved. Plus the spring in the 0566 broke onme twice; the first time within a week of bringing it home, the second time it was a week after I replaced the first broken spring. I sent it to another home shortly after that...

That said, if you want a truly robust and quality knife, get one of the new Benchmade -1 grips. G10 handles and 20CV blade make it well worth the price of admission.

15. Thisguy93

Thisguy93 Loaded Pockets

Thanks you guys for all the awesome advice! I will definitely check these out!

16. Thisguy93

Thisguy93 Loaded Pockets

What is a good benchmade without serrations in the approximate price range?

17. USMC1911er

USMC1911er Loaded Pockets

Of the ZTs I have I much prefer the 0200 over the 350. I ljust prefer the ergonomics of the knife better. But that is no knock on the 350 it is a great knife. The only drawback for me was I had to remove the torsion bar to de-assist cause I just could not get used to it and I am a big fan of assisted openers. If you are a fan of big over-built knives I would definitely recommend the Benchmade Adamas. It is $25 more than your listed budget but it is an awesome tank of a knife that super smooth. You will not regret going with any of these. Get one and don't be afraid to put it to work.

Thisguy93 likes this.
  18. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Most of the Benchmades can be had with either serrations or not.
    The Grip as many have already said are a reliable choice and the new versions up the game all around too.
    There are a lot of choices though and you need to get some in your own hands and see what you like,I think they are mostly all great knives.
    I own several and like the AXIS lock OK but prefer a flipper for work in general.

Thisguy93 likes this.
  19. Thisguy93

Thisguy93 Loaded Pockets

Thanks!

20. Kev2488

Kev2488 Loaded Pockets

Check out Cold Steel, great knives now with upgraded steel. Great lock and surprisingly tough. I've pryed with my Voyager Tanto and never had a problem. Also check out a Ritter RSK it's a Benchmade Grip but better steel at about $120 $130. Also the above mentioned Spydies as well. I have a ZT 350 TS and thought it was the best knife until I brought my Voyager and then my Manix 2 and PM2, I don't even carry it anymore

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk

Thisguy93 likes this.