1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

looking to buy a new knife, appreciate opinions!

Discussion in 'Knives' started by dragonbeat, Feb 20, 2018.

1. dragonbeat

dragonbeat Loaded Pockets

Hi Guys and Gals,

It's been a while since I posted but now I have the urge to buy a new knife! Right now my only EDC knife is a Spyderco Ladybug Salt. Awesome little knife that fits nicely on my keys but I feel the need for something a little bigger. I've narrowed it down to a few, sticking with Spyderco, Delica 4, Native or Manix 2. I'd appreciate any thoughts and opinions on those!

Many thanks in advance!

Matt

2. Justinp

Justinp Loaded Pockets

I have a Manix 2 Lightweight and I absolutely love it. I can’t recommend it enough. Very well made and well worth the price. The only downside I can think of is when you hand it to a non knife person they think it’s a cheapo blade because of how lightweight it is. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 Justinp, Feb 20, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    smokingfish likes this.
  3. huntnow

huntnow Loaded Pockets

Of those, the Manix 2 is an incredible knife. Arguably the best value for the money at that price point of any manufacturer. I'd highly recommend it.

4. drewthebrave

drewthebrave Loaded Pockets

Having a Delica and Native, you can't go wrong with either. While I don't have a Manix, I'd expect it to feel like a heavier duty Native.

The Delica takes up a little less space in the pocket and has a very slim, comfortable handle. The Native is similarly comfortable, and has a little more surface area to hold onto, so it might be better if you have bigger hands or just prefer a larger grip. The choil on the Native lets you choke up your grip a bit more if needed, and the lock bar is thicker lending it a tough feel in hand. That's not to say the Delica feels weak in any way. Hopefully these photos help you decide! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Moshe ben David likes this.
  5. dragonbeat

dragonbeat Loaded Pockets

thanks guys! I was initially thinking about the delica, I love the orange handled one! I do have bigger hands hence my including the manix in my options. I appreciate the pics drewthebrave! Its highly doubtful that this will be my last knife purchase and I do like the looks of the delica and native to maybe add to my collection one day :D

Justinp whats your thoughts on the ball bearing locking system as opposed to the usual lockback on spyderco's?

6. Daveho

Daveho Loaded Pockets

Delica is an absolute classic but u can’t go wrong with any of these.

7. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I'm with @drewthebrave on this. I have and like both the Delica and the Native. Steel is a bit better on the Native; I also really like the choil on the Native also. Depending on where you live or where you'll be carrying, you're much less likely to EVER have an issue regarding legality of blade size with either the Delica or the Native than you could on the Manix. Given that you don't have an extensive collection (yet -- hang around here and we'll enable you for sure!), this might also be a consideration.

Mind you, few if any of us ever run into an issue with the Law; I carry everything from a Peanut size Case to a Spyderco Endura; so its not like I hesitate to carry a larger blade myself! :)

Enjoy!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Moose likes this.
  8. Jdjernigan

Jdjernigan Loaded Pockets

I haven’t had a Delica or a Manix but I really like the Native. I have several Enduras and I like those a lot and the Delica is the little brother to the Endura. I plan to replace my Native I just need to track down the version with the wire pocket clip. I also plan to get a Kahr Arms Delica cause I really like that blade design.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Shuutr

Shuutr Loaded Pockets

Pretty much this.

The manix is a big jump from a lb salt.

Delica is a classic. And if you don’t like it, sell it for a tiny loss.

Moose likes this.
  10. Shuutr

Shuutr Loaded Pockets

I have owned all listed. I don’t like the clip on the native but everything else is great. The delica is a great size and very usable blade. Like the ladybug only so.

My favorite Spyderco was a Sage 2 but that’s a little more money.

11. Moose

Moose Loaded Pockets

I had an Endura with G10 scales a few years back. I loved it but it had lock-rock. I have yet to come across a back-lock without it so I would be interested to hear other peoples experiences but I'm loath to endorse one. To OP I suggest a Para 2 if you're wanting a locking allrounder from Spyderco. Or just do away with a lock altogether and get a UKPK or Urban :)