1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Looking into G-Shock??? Help!

Discussion in 'Watches' started by themadplumbarian, Feb 2, 2010.

1. themadplumbarian

themadplumbarian Loaded Pockets

OK, this question goes out to all my watchaholic friends,,, i have a collection of watches and have been into analog watches now for heck since i can remember, but im itching for a new watch, and am looking to go digital, but also atomic, and automatic (self-winding, solar) im tired of all my watches going dead, i have a couple self-winding, and i have one atomic, but not in one package, and im tired of setting my watches every time i wear it. So, ive started looking into Casio's G-shock, with solar, and atomic... i kinda like the mudman, or frogman, this is going to be a beater watch, some thing that can take the abuse, the only thing is that i don't know what all of the digital stuff means, or how the black read out works, and the lighting for all or it? so im clueless... so heres what im after, atomic, solar, lighted, alarm, date/day, and can take a hell of a beating, rolled all into one, i was after the compass and thermometer, but in order to get that you get 4 other reading, and i would rather just keep it simple, wear it, use it, and never have to change or set it! any suggestions? Thanks JR

heres some of mine,
    [​IMG]

2. Ropes4u

Ropes4u Loaded Pockets

I am saving for a PAW1500, but there are so many that fit your bill I would look at the watchuseek forums

3. Marlinaholic

Marlinaholic Loaded Pockets

I also like analog watches and have a couple Seikos, Victorinox, and Wenger models. However, I just got a Casio gw330a-9v and I love it so far. Its got all the features you are seeking and the gold accents and round face make it about as pretty as a G-shock can get, better looking to me than the all black or silver/black models I see. The back light works great, you can set it to automatically go on when you tilt the watch to look at the face. This really works and it doesn't go off too easy when you are not looking at it so won't drain your battery. Also, if it's bright enough, like in a normally lit room or outside during the day, it won't go off at all as it's smart enough to know you don't need it. The time/day/date numbers themselves are easy to read, though the little alarm/battery life/minute wheel are all pretty small, but most times you are not looking at them anyway. Style wise the three little round indicators go great with the round bezel The atomic time keeping feature really works, for me anyway, I'm in Nebraska so not real far from the transponder in Ft. Collins, CO where the signal comes from. This watch is also somewhat more slim and trim than some of the other G-shock models, very light weight too. Probably a good choice if you are going from analog to digital for the first time. Casio makes a dizzying array of models, so its tough to choose, I would go with the Casio that looks the best to you, as many of them have all the features you seek.

4. Simsmac0o

Simsmac0o Loaded Pockets

I own this G-Shock: http://www.amazon.com/Casio-G-Shock-Classic-Digital-DW5600E-1V/dp/B000GAYQKY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=watches&qid=1265171007&sr=1-2

I would suggest that you at least look at some non-solar/non-atomic digital G-Shocks also. I know that most of G-Shocks have one or both of those features, but the ones that don't have them have great battery life (think several months) and are very good at keeping the time you set (mine is ±15 seconds a month, according to Casio, which is more than accurate for my purposes). The watch I linked meets all of your criteria except being solar/atomic.
    Overall, it's a great watch. I like the classic G-Shock design (not to say that I dislike the newer designs), and I wanted one with a simpler module. This watch fit the bill (plus it's dirt cheap).

Simsmac

5. photomic

photomic Loaded Pockets

Apart from the solar/atomic thing, you just described every casio G-shock out there ;D

look for GW6900, GW5500, GW5600 or the Mudman, Gulfman or if you are really into BIG watches a Frogman, or a Riseman (with altimeter & thermometer)

Seriously there are no wrong choices only different tastes...

:)

6. themadplumbarian

Thanks guys for your help so far, i guess Casio it will be, but what model? too may to choose from :brickwall: i guess the next question does anyone know how the Reverse LCD works? or how the lights work on a digital-analog combo? too many questions, im just out of the digital age :shrug:... JR

7. photomic

photomic Loaded Pockets

well there is a polarizer filter in any lcd display, negative LCD have a reversed polarized filter....

The hands have a bit of lume on them & the watch dial has 1 or 2 led lights (activated by button press); usually the sub panels are a bit difficult to read in the dark...

8. theotherphil

theotherphil Loaded Pockets

Have a look at the GW 7900-B1 if you want a tough solar/ atomic with negative display.

9. ryball

ryball Empty Pockets

I have the GW1500A-1AV I think.

analog
    digital
    solar
    atomic

It has nice big buttons that are easy to push even with gloves. I love that I never have to wind or set this watch.

10. ryball

ryball Empty Pockets

Ooh, GW2500BD-1A

11. themadplumbarian

Too many choices :lolhammer: ill be looking into it for awhile, got to save up for it, unless, i can get the wife aggravated enough and she tells me to just buy the dang thing,,, :evilgrin: hum,,,, JR

12. Uncle Zungle

Uncle Zungle Loaded Pockets

+ PAW1500

Solar, Atomic and loads more:

[​IMG]

13. themadplumbarian

thats nice, its the loads more that stops me,,, im just after something simple, will take the abuse, and atomic/solar... JR

14. Weyland

Weyland Empty Pockets

Got 3 Atomic/Solar G-Shocks and just love them, particularly for the main features; never having worry about changing the battery and having that degree of accuracy is brilliant. I've got two GW5600's (one standard display with plastic strap, one negative display with resin bracelet) and the GW9200 Riseman. Can highly recommend both types; as far as the negative display goes it does look really cool (IMO) but is a bit hard to read.

15. themadplumbarian

Well thats why i figured to switch to digital, im tired of all my batteries going dead, and the ones that are winding, having to set, i have a double winder, but everything is just getting to be a pain, so i just want one watch that i dont have to worry about, dont set. dont change battery. notta! and can beat the hell out of... and everyone so far is saying that the negative display looks cool, but is a pain,,,, JR

16. antman157

antman157 Loaded Pockets

17. Kabong30

Kabong30 Empty Pockets

I just got into G-Shocks myself. We had a sale at my job and I snapped up a few.

[​IMG]

All but the 2 on the lower right are solar and all but one of those is atomic (the top center which is actually a Pathfinder). Before the Casio bug got me I was strictly into Zodiacs.

18. antman157

antman157 Loaded Pockets

Where did you find the watch box? I like it

19. themadplumbarian