1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Looking for the details on the NEW rush 24 from 5.11?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by Crude, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Crude

Crude Loaded Pockets

So, it only took from june 15 till now to get the updated Rush 24 from 5.11. If you want to hear the story I'll add it later. The one good thing that came from it all is that I ended up with the OLD and the NEW rush24 for a few days before I returned the old one. So I figured I'd make some lemonade and snap some pics so people could understand the difference.

I took this one with a flash to show how much the color of cordura changes with lighting. The other pictures are taken with daylight and the colors are closer to what the packs look like.
    [​IMG]

Now to the changes. The old style is on the left while the updated Rush 24 is on the right. Instantly apparent is the continued molle on the NEW style and a third row of velcro in the center for even larger (or multiple) patches.

[​IMG]

The new one has rain flaps over the zippers of the two larger compartments. The side pockets have rain flaps on both styles ( though this may have been a small update a little while ago that went largely unnoticed, I'll come back to this). I'm not sure what they were designed to do but the OLD style has 3 loops on the lower side of the pack. Interestingly these were omitted from the NEW style. You'll also notice the top row of molle on the new style just above the compression strap. This is largely for the addition of a MOAB pack, but others have figured out a workaround for the old style.

[​IMG]

On the back they are nearly identical with the exception of the buckle location on the shoulder straps. This allows the straps to be tightened an extra 3 inches AND places the buckles on the pad where they aren't likely to pinch you. Some thing odd is that the straps are identical even though 5.11 claims the straps are wider and have more padding. Again I think this was part of a small update that went unnoticed. I say this because the tag on the bag points to a few updates that both bags have. The wider straps being one and rubber pannels on the lumbar region of the back to help keep the back from sliding around the other.

[​IMG]

And here is a close up of the rubber pads. Also you'll notice 5.11 added an extra 1.5"plastic loop at the base of each shoulder strap. Again, I don't know what's it's for but I imagine you could add a waist support if you wanted one. You might notice there's a slight difference in color too. I suppose 5.11 is still trying to get the color just right on the Flat dark earth bags.

[​IMG]

On the bottom of the bag I indicated with arrows the rubber pads and the 1.5" loop. Along with 4 lashing points on the NEW style. This is for adding a tent and/or sleeping bag to the bottom. It's unfortunate they didn't continue the strapping from left to right. As it is now it looks like an after thought.

[​IMG]

The new style also has some zipper pulls in places were the old one did not. This is kinda a moot point for us as most of us have 550 cord laying around, heh.

[​IMG]

One thing I like but wasn't mentioned is that the hydration pack has opposing zippers on the NEW style. What has been mentioned by 5.11 is the seam(s) location on the OLD vs NEW style. Also the seam is really thick on the NEW style.

[​IMG]

And then lastly a few different packs for size reference. The hazard4 pack is literally half the ci as the rush24 at 2000ci. The Rush24 is Flat dark earth, the Hazard4 pack is coyote brown and the maxped is foliage green.

[​IMG]

amdmaxx likes this.
  2. artblur

artblur Loaded Pockets

Excellent info. Thank you

3. Force Attuned

Force Attuned Loaded Pockets

Interesting...good work!

4. sweetdaddyroses

sweetdaddyroses Loaded Pockets

i've been carrying a black 24 for almost a year now and i really like it.

the molle on the bottom of the new bag is an improvement. like you said, though; too bad they didn't continue those rows all the way across. it's also too bad that they eliminated the tabbed loops -- 3 on each side, as you mentioned -- on the new bag. those loops come in quite handy as attachment points for any number of things. including lashing a bedroll, tent or whatever under the pack.

yep. moot point on the interior zipper pulls. that was one of the first things i did on mine...
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

it was nice to see the 2 side by side. that was a great comparison! thanks for the lemonade!

cheers!

*sdr*

5. willydigger

willydigger Loaded Pockets

What a cool pack. I was 50/50 on this and the COVRT 18. Might have to get both!

6. medved

medved Loaded Pockets

So question is - how to buy a new version? Even 511 website has a photo of an old version.

7. Soulriot
    • Administrator
    • In Omnia Paratus

Soulriot EDCF Rule Enforcer
    Staff Member

The only 100% way to get a new one through online is to get the new colors, ie sandstone or multicam.

8. Television

Television Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the info, I love my Rush 24 to bits (first 'serious' backpack I've had). When this one dies I'm thinking I'll buy another one just like it. I'm considering getting the Rush72 for longer trips as well, but that may have to wait until the GF is away :p

9. vizsla

vizsla Loaded Pockets

nice review great bags

10. r1dg3xrac3r

r1dg3xrac3r Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the great review. I also too wanted to buy the new version from amazon. But they still have photos of the old version. Are there anything beneficial usage with the new style versus the old one ? Besides the ability to attach another backpack to it ?

11. Crude

Crude Loaded Pockets

For me the patch on the front of the old one was a killer. I wanted the full molle. Other then that and the attachment points I see so difference in functionality.

12. jegrundh

jegrundh Loaded Pockets

I bought one several months ago in Black from LApolicegear and it was the new updated version, and i emailed them prior to ordering to make sure i could return it if it was not the new bag and they were ok with it. Sometimes LApolicegear takes forever to ship and doesn't keep an up to date inventory / charges a fair chunk of change for shipping, but they were pretty good with customer service for this bag.

13. gremlin078

gremlin078 Loaded Pockets

How do you like the yoke system compared to a regular strap set up? I usually EDC a pack on one shoulder unless its a heavy load/long distance. Was wondering whether that would hang wrong.

14. Kraid

Kraid Loaded Pockets

Thanks for this review! I used to own one of the old styles but I just placed an order for the new version. This review is exactly what I was looking for!

15. Adamm

Adamm Loaded Pockets

nice review, i just bought one of these from la police gear, Wonder if its the new or old version?