1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Looking for REAL point and shoot

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by clock, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Spartan857

Spartan857 Loaded Pockets

2. Narcosynthesis

Narcosynthesis Loaded Pockets

The first thought would be that if you have no real interest in photography, a lot of the recommendations here will probably be a bit expensive and over the top - something like a Sony RX is undoubtably a superb camera, but if you really want something for snapshots rather than considered photos, then most of the benefits of a higher end camera with larger sensors and other features will probably be lost on you...

The option I would look into would be something like the Panasonic TZ/ZS series (the name being geography dependant - they are the same cameras) or LF camera.
    The things I would be looking at would be getting a solid camera with a decent fully automatic mode, with decent physical control that can be turned on and readied without looking, and ideally something with a viewfinder of some form to alleviate the problem of bright sunlight and small screens.

The one thing I would definitely recommend doing though, would be getting your hands on any cameras you are interested in and trying them out - most cameras nowadays are fairly good, but there will be differences in how quickly they are ready to shoot from powered off, so it would be well worth seeing if they will match what you are looking for, or if something like a phone can be readied just as easily n reality.

dmattaponi likes this.
  3. McNasty

McNasty Loaded Pockets

Without a viewfinder you will have the same problem as using a phone I dont care what they claim.. you cant see the screen. I bought the lastest and greatest Canon P&S.. but gave up and went back to an earlier Canon I had because it had a veiwfinder. If in the market again i would look at the Panasonic/Lumix

4. Steezo

Steezo Loaded Pockets

another vote for The Olympus

5. JonV

JonV Empty Pockets

As mentioned by a couple of other posters, I can recommend the Panasonic Lumix ZS50. (It is called TZ70 outside of North America) I bought this camera last year and find it to be great, mainly because it has a viewfinder in addition to the LCD Rear Screen. In addition it has 35X optical Zoom through a Leica lens, and 5 way image stabilization, plus most any other feature you could think of.

6. Anthony Bonacci

Anthony Bonacci Loaded Pockets

The sony alpha series is great , smaller that full-size DSLR , but with a large aspc sensor . Also can wirelessly send pics to phone no matter where you are .

7. T Shrapnel-Carruthers

T Shrapnel-Carruthers Loaded Pockets

On trips without my DSLR I carry a Canon SX260. Works well in full program mode but lots of controls if I want them.
    [​IMG][​IMG]

8. newnan3

newnan3 Loaded Pockets

I have a Nikon 36mp monster but I bought my gf a Sony RX100.

MCPOWoller likes this.
  9. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Haha nice, i have a pair of sx240s for that kinda thing. These camera's even have a special setting for the ladies in our lives, the little heart symbol ;) Its like auto mode but with all the buttons apart from the shutter button disabled, even the menu button will not do a darned thing in that mode its awesome and my wife loves it! They run chdk pretty well too if you want to do fancy things like interval or hdr!

absinth and outbackwack like this.
  10. stockae92

stockae92 Loaded Pockets

I have a Sony RX100 Mk3, which works fantastic. It has all the manual feature but I used it 95% as point and shoot. The drawback is that the zoom is not great and the focus can be faster.

And of course, iPhone (5s and up) takes decent photo, and especially under good lighting.

11. azaex

azaex Loaded Pockets

Put the 15mm body cap on the Olympus, set it to auto and call it a day? I'm assuming when you said olympus you meant something along the micro four thirds line, hopefully with a viewfinder. Those things still startup faster than the cell phone cameras imho. All the point and shoots still need to extend their lenses usually.

Alternatively, look into fixed lens point and shoots like the X100S. ~35mm equivalent lens, APS-C sensor, optical viewfinder as an option, fairly idiot proof and produces great shots.

12. outbackwack

outbackwack Loaded Pockets

I really like my SX240 too! Manual focus to something like 1.5" is great for macro. I also use my Canon G15 that is fast and F1.8 for great indoor shots without a flash. I also have a full EOS setup, but honestly, I now defer to my Galaxy Note 5. It takes phenomenal pics but is not fast in any way, shape or form. However, all I have to do is say Cheese!

13. JD HHI 6092

JD HHI 6092 Loaded Pockets

My wife just picked up a Canon G7X Mark ll. Pricey but a great camera.

sully and Maze like this.
  14. Westerdutch

Oh ive heard great things about those but never used one myself yet. Do let us know how it fairs!

15. ac7ss
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

I have the Samsung WB350F, A great little pocket point and shoot.It's about 3 years old now and is getting a little finicky (The mode dial is getting wonky.) I last used it for my trip to London and Skye last summer.
    • Reasonably fast from power on to snap.
    • Equivalent ISO 80-200
    • F/2.8
    • 16.3 MP
    • Built in REAL strobe flash
    [​IMG]

I won't claim it is as fast as my T6, but it is a lot easier to carry around. Another photographer on my tour was suitably impressed with the specs.

16. Maze

Maze Loaded Pockets

Just picked up a Canon G7x Mark II. I'm in love.

Chad Johnston likes this.
  17. Chad Johnston

Chad Johnston Loaded Pockets

I'm looking at the Fijifilm XF1 right now for my daughter for her 12th birthday. She's been wanting a camera and is taking an interest in photography so I'm thinking this might be a good starter unit.

18. Chad Johnston

I had the older version (I think) G15 and it was so great. Wish I still had it.

MCPOWoller likes this.
  19. Westerdutch

Im still rocking my old g12, looked at the 15 and 16 but i like the tilty swivel screen too much. Still a nice camera!

20. Chad Johnston

The whole series rocks. I'm actually leaning now towards the G9x for my daughter. They're going for $399 right now.