1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Looking for REAL point and shoot

Discussion in 'Electronic Devices' started by clock, Jan 6, 2016.

1. clock

clock Loaded Pockets

I have an Olympus small camera , plus a Samsung smart phone
    Both serve me well in NORMAL situations when I have the time to look and plan the photo

Howerver, there are times when I am in a HURRY and want to take a photo of something IN A SECOND. It is usually sunny and that could be a problem. Trying to start the camera app on the smart phone when it is sunny , the screen is not very visible and by the time I get things right, someone has already started shouting or things happened so fast I couldn't catch them.

Do you know a REAL point and shoot type of gadget (phone, camera ..etc. ??

2. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

What kind of quality pics are you looking to get? Theres all kinds of devices floating around that run from proper camera with good sensors to tiny little blocks/keyfobs that take something that you can sort of make out when you squint....

3. clock

clock Loaded Pockets

Well, I need pictures you can make out WITHOUT squinting . LOL
    I don't need professional grade stuff, but something "average", whatever that maybe.

I am leaning towards a camera , not a smartphone, cuz a camera is dedicated and has a REAL button to press , versus something on a screen which you may not be able to see , even when squinting.

4. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

There aren't as many pocket cameras as there once we're but the Fujifilm XQ is nice. Look at anything by Canon or Nikon. Just about anything that they have from the last two years will out shoot any cell phone.

Ben Rubinstein likes this.
  5. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

I own and use the Canon S120 when I want more control over the image that I wish to capture. When I don't wish to use my iPhone 6+, I simply place the S120 in Program mode.

6. Westerdutch

+1 for the S120, that one is my go-to example of a good quality camera that still has an actual pocketable size but depending on how much you are willing to spend it might be a bit pricey (300-400 dollars depending on where you buy one). Getting its elder sisters will be a bit cheaper, especially if buying used is an option for you (s100/s110). If that's still a bit on the pricey side you might want to look into the canon sx240/sx260 which can be found used for 40-50 bucks if you look around a bit (bought mine for 25 euros). Those have similar form factor to the s120 only they lack the quality lens and sensor but compared to a smartphone they are still quite a step up, especially since they have huge optical zoom.

7. clock

clock Loaded Pockets

Thanks
    I will look into these

8. Westerdutch

Oh and im a total canon guy but that doesn't mean that that is the brand for you too! Many brands sell similar camera's but they all operate slightly different, make sure you end up buying one that you sort of intuitively understand so try before you buy. Many camera stores will allow you to play around with the goods before you commit. No use in buying a camera that you have to fiddle with for 2 minutes before you can take a shot. Nikon has some very nice compacts too ie the p340, so do panasonic (ie TZ70) and sony (rx100).

9. Colin J Reed

Colin J Reed Loaded Pockets

They are on the higher end, but the Sony RX100 MK IV is great camera. Sony is really pushing the boundaries of size and quality with their recent releases. It has a built in retractable EVF so you don't have to worry about squinting in bright environments. The MK III version also has the EVF, but MK I and II do not.

arnisb and MCPOWoller like this.
  10. twinight

twinight Empty Pockets

In addition to the Sony RX, here are a few other compact rangefinder cameras.
    Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX90V
    Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50
    Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ60
    Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1
    Leica C Typ112
    Canon PowerShot A1300/A1400

MCPOWoller likes this.
  11. nitevision

nitevision Loaded Pockets

Well, this might sound a little out of left field but I personally use a Ricoh GR (2013). Properly set up, I can turn it on and take a photo in ~ 2 seconds.
    This is due to the fact that it starts up incredibly fast (~1 sec), and you can also set it to prefocus at a certain distance when you hit the shutter, which means that you don't even engage the camera's autofocus system. With prefocus set up and at a smaller aperture (resulting in a large depth of field) almost everything will be in acceptable focus. All essential camera functions can be operated one-handed. A good pouch can help tremendously in being quick on the draw.

Edit: I forgot, you can also just get a GoPro, turn it on when you anticipate action and grab the stills from the video later.

MTFatboy likes this.
  12. demPho

demPho Loaded Pockets

Depending on budget, my vote would always be the Fuji X100 line, be it the 100, 100S or 100T. Now, this is not an amateur camera, however, it is a point and shoot for all intents and purposes. Requires a bit of general photography knowledge but I assume you have that. The new X100T will run you about 1300, but the previous generations can be had for 600-900. Fixed 23mm lens, great sensor, and full controls.

They also released the Fuji X70 this past season which is a slightly paired down version, or civilian version that are about half the price with the same appeal.

....and they're sexy!

13. Westerdutch

They sure are sexy and great camera's, but i would never recommend them as a compact camera because in my mind a compact needs to be pocketable and versatile. Those fuji camera's are not really either of those. If you want more performance just south of a thousand bucks id get the rx100iv before id buy one of those myself, you get a more friendly size with a nice zoomie lens. Granted it doesn't have the sensor size working for it but the results it gets are not bad! But honestly, id keep most of that cash in my pocket if you just want snapshots and get a canon s100 and spend the rest of the money on a nice little holiday so you have something to shoot ;)

In my mind those fuji camera's are enthousiast gear, not quick and dirty point and shoots.

kikaida likes this.
  14. demPho

demPho Loaded Pockets

Fair assessments. I guess I'm of the school of thought these days that the options are either enthusiast/pro gear OR smart phone. Of course, I've had zero experience with PAS cameras of the past 10 years. I also rarely pocket items bigger than a knife and my phone. I just "throw it in the bag," to use a terrible song lyric.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Chad Johnston likes this.
  15. dmattaponi

dmattaponi Loaded Pockets

It's for this reason that the point and shoot still has a valid place in a world full of smart phones...speed, and easy, long zoom capability. I think the point and shoot also has an advantage in low light. I use a little Sony Cybershot WX220. It's just about completely automatic. 18 megapixel CMOS sensor, with a Sony G lens, and a decent 10x optical zoom and is the size of a credit card. It's also wifi compatible. Incredibly easy to carry and much faster to get into action and focused in on a target than my phone. Smart phone is okay in a pinch, bit when I know I am going to want pictures, I'll carry the Sony. Picture quality superior to my phone, with a price well under $200.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

kikaida likes this.
  16. Travis Branch

Travis Branch Loaded Pockets

Not sure what your budget it is but Olympus (IMO) makes the best point and shoot cameras available but they are a little more expensive than most point and shoot cameras. The Tough TG-4. It is pretty dang good camera and I am not an Olympus user other than this one.

17. baccar-3

baccar-3 Loaded Pockets

Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50K 30X Travel Zoom with eye viewfinder. $350.

18. DCBman

DCBman Loaded Pockets

I'm a 1000% (tried & true, dyed in blue red) Canon guy here...and for a true point and shoot I'd recommend an...Olympus. The Olympus cameras are by far the easiest, fastest and least complicated cameras for quick shooting, not to mention they take consistently great pictures. All my big camera gear is Canon, but when it comes to quick and portability I'd suggest Olympus. The Stylus line has now been morphed into the TOUGH line (but I think the guts are still Stylus). I've actually taken some better pictures with my little Olympus cameras (I have two) than with my $3,000+ Canons, and I wasn't even trying that hard. Just grabbed it, flipped it on and hit the shutter. It rarely ever balks or hesitates (auto-focusing or whatever) and consistently gets the best exposure possible under about any light conditions, even in punishing glare, extreme over-exposure situations or near darkness.

I also have a tiny Fuji Finepix camera which does pretty well also. I use it mainly at work so I've never really tried anything 'arty' with it, but it definitely gets the job done, and done reliably. Still not as fast as my Olympus though.

I absolutely do NOT like my Samsung S5 Galaxy (phone) camera at all. It constantly junks up pictures and you have to monkey with it for 3-4 minutes to get it to take a decent picture which, as you've noted, is too late. I've missed more pictures with that phone than I care to count. I avoid using it unless it's absolutely the only thing available.

About the only negative thing I can say about the point and shoot Olympus cameras is, immediate follow-up shots are a little slower than I'd like. However, I will admit I am totally spoiled by my full size Canon DSLR's which will fire off (12) frames per second of 20mp shots. That type of shooting is just not something you're going to find in a point and shoot though (unfortunately).

I'd definitely look into the Olympus line of cameras.

Travis Branch likes this.
  19. enine

enine Loaded Pockets

Some phones still have a camera button, mine does.
    That being said I have a small Canon P&S that stays on my backpack strap. Its one of the few that still use AA's so I don't have to worry about plugging it in every so often to charge so its always ready.

20. MCPOWoller

MCPOWoller Loaded Pockets

I'd go with a Sony RX variant. Although, the fastest start up of a point and shoot from 2012 was the Nikon AW100 ar 1.6 sec.