1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Looking for new Small Fixed Blade Knife for EDC

Discussion in 'Knives' started by gdwtvb, Sep 22, 2017.

1. gdwtvb

gdwtvb Loaded Pockets

The title says it all. I am looking to get another fixed blade knife. I already own a couple Bark Rivers (Gunny Hunter and Bravo Necker both in 3V steel)

I have been looking at a couple of the offerings from Bark River; Esssential, Bumble bee, and PSK. But as both of my fixed blades are already Bark Rivers, I'd like to maybe get something from another maker.

I recently found out about the Bradford Knives Guardian 3. I really like the looks of this one, and I'd love to have a chance to try out M390 steel. Most reviews look good with the one caveat that the handle is maybe not the best for many grips beyond the hammer grip.

Any other knives I might need to look at? I'm looking at a budget of around $200. I want a smaller fixed blade for puttering around in the garden and general EDC tasks. I know a basic or cheaper knife in 1095 would suffice, but I like trying out the newer super steels.

Grizz

buckfynn likes this.
  2. SV-97

SV-97 Loaded Pockets

Definitely look at White River Knives. Superb Manufacturing with S30V or S35VN for around 100€(here in Germany) and the one I have(caper) just melts in my hand. Or the Evans knife and tool companion. 20CV, great design; there should still be a few available if you hit him up on bladeforums

Gesendet von meinem ONEPLUS A3003 mit Tapatalk

3. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

The Guardian 3 is my go to small fixed blade. I have an earlier drop point in CPM3V that has been a perfect utility knife (for me, at least). I picked up the new sheepsfoot version in M390 at Blade Show this summer. It hasn't gotten much use, but I'm getting ready to move so it will be on my belt (and hopefully get a good work out in the process).

4. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

Esee Izula. Or the Enzo necker

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G950F met Tapatalk

5. Hagbard81

Hagbard81 Loaded Pockets

Spyderco Street Beat! And maybe a custom sheath for it ;)

JC807 likes this.
  6. Hagbard81

Hagbard81 Loaded Pockets

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Gesendet von meinem SM-G925F mit Tapatalk

7. gdwtvb

gdwtvb Loaded Pockets

Thanks for all the input. I had a question about the Bradford Guardian 3. (I wondered if the standard and 3D scales were interchangeable as they sell booth types of replacement scales on their website; they are.) I was very impressed with the speed and professionalism of the response from Bradford Knives. So I ordered one today. Guardian 3 in M390, saber grind, standard tiger stripe scales, as well as replacement 3D handles in Blue/black.

My most carried folding knives are Spydercos, I had looked at their offerings, including the street beat, but really wanted to try out another steel instead of getting more of the same.

Thanks
    Grizz

twin63, Hagbard81 and SV-97 like this.
  8. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

Brad and Nicole are two of the nicest people you'll meet. My brother and I had the opportunity to talk to them (and buy knives!) during the last 2 Blade Shows. It doesn't take long to realize how passionate they are about their business and their customers.

Looking forward to your impressions of the Guardian 3.....

9. trojansteel

trojansteel Loaded Pockets

McGhee knives Pirhana... fantastic knife. Small. In your price range. Maker is an ABS master blade smith. I think he's working on an o1 run right now. He's done them in 3v and mine is in s35vn. Boker is about to start producing a production version as well.

The butt of the grip also functions as a bottle opener..

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danbo27 likes this.
  10. MicroMike

MicroMike Loaded Pockets

Cant go wrong with a LT Wright Next Gen, or maybe a Frontier Valley or Patriot if your looking for something smaller. Although they arnt super steel, LT mostly uses D2

buckfynn likes this.
  11. leigh_ratcliffe

leigh_ratcliffe Loaded Pockets

Naw, Mora 510 or a Stainless Steel Mora Clipper. They cut like lightsabers and I am not going to get too upset :)cry:) if I find a rock or something the hard way.

A.B. likes this.
  12. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

They are nice and cheap. And good.

13. ozark75

ozark75 Loaded Pockets

Not a "super steel" but the Lon Humphrey Whitetail is a great small fixed blade for edc!

14. danbo27

danbo27 Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]

Benchmade Saddle Mountain Hunter in S30V steel.

15. danbo27

danbo27 Loaded Pockets

16. danbo27

danbo27 Loaded Pockets

Rekat Pikuni

17. Evil D

Evil D Loaded Pockets

I didn't see if you already got something, but the Spyderco Street Beat is discontinued and won't be around much longer, it's a great option for pocket carry. VG10 may not be so fancy anymore but it gets the job done while being fairly stainless and easy to sharpen.

18. ArkansasFan30

ArkansasFan30 Loaded Pockets

I purchased an Esee Izula a couple of months ago with the addition of linen micarta scales (not G10) and an Armatus Carry Solutions holster. I chose the micarta because I liked having the exposed ring at the hilt of the knife, and the provided injection molded scabbard is too heavy and bulky. The blade was meant for carrying around in my pocket, waistband, or on the outside of a boot should I choose to, but I generally keep it in my EDC bag. Other than cutting some jute twine with it, I can't recall having used it. It's a nice knife, but I don't really like blades coated like this.

19. A.B.

A.B. Loaded Pockets

The coating will wear off and become smoother. Or strip it.

ArkansasFan30 likes this.
  20. nick nitro

nick nitro Loaded Pockets

Randall fireman and a Randall saltwater fisherman 3 in.