1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Looking for new school/EDC bag...

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by ModrnDayMcGyver, Nov 29, 2012.

1. ModrnDayMcGyver

ModrnDayMcGyver Loaded Pockets

I am invthe search for a new and larger school bag that doubles for EDC use. I currently have a Northface Recon but am having difficulties carrying all of the books and binders I need. I am looking for something high quality with a lot of organizatin but nothing tactical. I dont mind having high quality nylon, however, I would like to stay away from Molle webbing. Any suggestions would be great!

Sent from my GT-P7510 using Tapatalk 2

2. SurvivePenna
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

SurvivePenna EDC Junkie!!!!!

Just a suggestion...but it may be something you would like since you're asking for both lots of room and organization :

The 5.11 COVRT 18 backpack

Here's a link for the product page on the 5.11 website (including a product video)...

http://www.511tactical.com/All-Products/Bags-Backpacks/COVRT/COVRT-18-Backpack.html

Here's one place where you can pick it up cheaper...(including free shipping)...

http://www.riflescopes.webyshops.com/Brands/5-11-Bags-Bagpacks/5-11-COVRT-18-Backpack-True-Navy-56961-726

3. RoboSim

RoboSim Loaded Pockets

Tom Bihn Brain Bag

4. bubbaj

bubbaj Loaded Pockets

I agree with RoboSim. Tom Bihn is the way to go, it will be my next purchase. Just not sure if I want the Synapse, Brain Bag or messenger style bag. I never had a messenger bag before and not sure if i can even pull one off. But Tom Bihn makes quality products

5. SurvivePenna
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

SurvivePenna EDC Junkie!!!!!

6. DonRob

DonRob Loaded Pockets

There are lots of good options, I do recommend Tom Bihn as well, but definitely consider the alternatives. Of the Tom Bihn bags, only the Brain Bag is larger than the North Face Recon, at 36 liters (vs. 30 for the Recon). At 36 liters though I have a hard time imagining what you can carry that won't start to get too heavy beyond that point, necessitating an internal frame pack. That's about the largest pack I would want without a frame, at least for any kind of extended walking.

TARFU likes this.
  7. CanvasNBrass

CanvasNBrass Loaded Pockets

Might want to upgrade to the North Face "Surge."

8. nuphoria

nuphoria Loaded Pockets

What kind of overall weight are you likely to carry in it?

9. wave180

wave180 Loaded Pockets

10. Freddo4J

Freddo4J Loaded Pockets

I bought one in the fall and I'm liking it. But watch out - there is a newer version; the older ones are still available though and it's the one I purchased. Here is a review...

Last edited by Freddo4J, Dec 29, 2012
  11. CanvasNBrass

Indeed. I have a "Recon" that is a past model, and a new model came out the following week. The model I have (2011 or something. I guess.) doesn't hold water bottles so well.

12. Freddo4J

Freddo4J Loaded Pockets

The Surge's hold two bottles but not huge ones. I typically use Dasani bottles (20 oz) and they fit fine. The price point for nalgene bottles right now send me shopping for more fun gear rather than water bottles so I just reuse and replace the Dasani ones for now. Should you ever need real specifics on the Surge just ask. I'm pretty sure you can fit 16 oz. nalgene in these pockets. There is a review here in EDCF I did on mine.

Last edited by Freddo4J, Dec 29, 2012
  13. Towanda

Towanda Loaded Pockets

I have two Jansport Big Students, one for school (community college) and one for work (taxi driver). Both of them have held up beautifully so far, and Jansport has a lifetime warranty. They were also less expensive than North Face or Tom Bihn.

I have a Tom Bihn Medium Café Bag, which is a lovely item, but right now one of their packs is way beyond my budget.

Sent via mimeograph.

14. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

You said you're not opposed to high quality nylon. So maybe this? Mission Workshop VX/R8 ArKiv Field Pack. I garuantee you won't see many around campos (if that is something you care about). Very high end though and $$$$. It's a pack I've been meaning to review. Probably sometime in the first half of 2013.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I also love Tom Bihn, but I agree with DonRob. Only the Brain Bag is larger than your current pack so your options there are currently limited. There has been buzz that Tom is coming out with a larger version of the Synapse in 2013 but there is no release date yet.

Last edited by TARFU, Dec 27, 2012
  15. Doekeedood

Doekeedood Loaded Pockets

I'm just wondering if the medium cafe bag can hold regular (A4) binders or books. I'm looking at it for a school bag, but I'm worried that it might be to small.

16. CanvasNBrass

If you ask in the Tom Bihn thread I am sure one of the staffers will be happy to test to find out if it'll fit. They've been doing that for others lately, I believe.

TARFU and Doekeedood like this.
  17. darth_guy101

darth_guy101 Loaded Pockets

Check out the Ogio Metro (not the Metro II). The one I have is a year old but it hardly shows. It holds my massive stack of books/papers/stuff quite well. It also has a laptop compartment.