1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Looking for new light and don't know much

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by bfitz, Apr 23, 2014.

1. bfitz

bfitz Loaded Pockets

Hello everyone

I am looking to get a little better light for edc. Currently I have a cheap $5 light I have carried for about a year, small AAA battery size (maybe 2-3 inches?) and it has worked well but just want a couple more features, if the light I want exists.

I run sound and record for a local college, so I use the light mostly for looking in dark cabinets and behind things to run cables, also for the random lost object in the car or couch. I don't need anything supper bright, but I would like to have a hi and low mode, if it would remember the mode I had it on last that would be great but not a deal breaker. I really don't want a flashing mode. I want to stay with a standard battery size, AA or AAA, so it is not to big. I am a bit of a klutz so being able to handle a few drops is a must. I prefer no pocket clip, but that isn't a big deal. Price has to be in the sub $40 range, below $30 even better.

Anyone know of a light that fits this description? The most important things to me are size, battery type, and cost. Don't know if my perfect light exists, but I'm sure there is something close.

Thanks everyone

2. HorseFilms

HorseFilms Loaded Pockets

You might enjoy the FourSevens mini AA. Comes in your choice of cool white or high CRI LEDs.

It's a pretty solid light. I have a few and they get plenty of use.

Blerv likes this.
  3. W-D

W-D Loaded Pockets

Got a Fenix ld20 on clearance for a little over 40. High/Low/Flash, AA batteries, pretty tough. I have had it about two years and love it.

4. Kardolf

Kardolf Loaded Pockets

Love my 4Sevens, but it is a CR123. As a brand, they get my vote, but I can't speak about their AA models.

My Maratac AAA fits your description, and is also available in an AA model. Solid, dependable, meets your price point. And, the pocket clip is easy to remove.

Once you get up into the $60-70 price range, the options really open up, but for the less expensive prices, those would be good options.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

BurninTheDayAway likes this.
  5. KeyeEl

KeyeEl EDC Junkie!!!!!

How about the L3 Illumination L10?

- Nichia 219 High Cri (colors don't wash out. Might be nice if your cables are color coded)
    - 120 Lumens 4-Mode (comes in a 3-mode)
    - 1 X AA
    - $24.99
    - tail stands
    - twisty
    - NO mode memory (will always turn on in the lowest mode. For the 4-mode, that is a firefly and the 3-mode, that is the 3 lumen low)

Four modes:
    - Firefly: 0.09 Lumens (147 hours)
    - Low: 3 Lumens (30 hours)
    - Medium: 30 Lumens
    - High: 120 Lumens (1.5 hours)

tmedina and david57strat like this.
  6. david57strat

david57strat EDC Junkie!!!

+1 on this recommendation. I agree with the other poster that the Nichia 219 is really nice for accurate color rendition (especially if you're running a bunch of color-coded cables, so you can easily tell one from another lol):

[​IMG]
    I love Spectraflex instrument cables (back from the days when I used tons of cables, all the time...)

HorseFilms likes this.
  7. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

The Fenix E12 hits most of your check list except that it uses one AA battery.
    Can tail stand.

• Three Modes:
    • High - 130 Lumens (1 hour 30 minutes)
    • Mid - 50 Lumens (6 hours 30 minutes)
    • Low - 8 Lumens (40 hours)
    • $26.95 at Fenix's website and availbalbe at store like REI and numerous online vendors.
    The E12 is waterproof to IPX-8 waterproof rating (underwater 2 meters for 30 minutes), and like most Fenix lights,
    rugged and reliable.

I have had one for a few months and the mid and low settings are used most. Very good central beam with a useful amount of spill light. A lot of good lights mentioned and for the amount spent the E12 offers very good value for the dollars.

8. Blitzwing
    • In Omnia Paratus

Blitzwing Loaded Pockets

Well, how are you going to carry it? Pocket, Keychain, or holster?

My vote is streamlight stylus pro.. 2xAAA runs around $20 or so

Removable pocket clip, one mode clicky on tail, SIZE of a sharpie and takes a beating... It's a durable, no nonsense, solid penlight.. And it doesn't break the bank. Oh and comes in different color bodies.

9. Blerv

Blerv Loaded Pockets

Olight i3s :)

dml24 likes this.
  10. cityofthesouth

cityofthesouth Loaded Pockets

Another for the L10. Simple, very compact, fun colors, and the modes are useful. This clip doesn't come with the light but comes from the place that sold the light. I can PM you info if you need and since this picture I have put a little o-ring in one of the grooves above the clip to keep it from sliding up. It's not an awesome clip but it was only a couple bucks.

[​IMG]L10_kershaw3 by city_ofthe_south, on Flickr

And of course, as some know, I can't make a recommendation without including the Solarforce Z2. Cheaper than the L10, not as many fun colors to choose from, better pocket clip plus forward clicky. It doesn't have the low-low that the L10 has.

[​IMG]solarforce_z2_kershawcryo_entry2 by city_ofthe_south, on Flickr

ETA: I missed the part about no clip. This is what makes the flashlight world so interesting - the variety of user requirements. No clip is a deal breaker for me but luckily for you the L10 doesn't come with a clip and the Z2 clip can easily be removed. Looks like the Feniz E12 is perfect for you as well.

D552 likes this.
  11. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

The L10 is an AA - they have an L08 which is an AAA.

I think you would really like the L08 3 mode. The "low" mode is 3 lumens, which is surprisingly bright for most instances. The medium is 30-ish lumens and the high is 90 lumens for an hour and a half. The smaller body makes it easier to keep in your mouth.

I have both and I like both as utility lights.

12. kbuzbee

kbuzbee Loaded Pockets

+1 on the L10 AND the Mini.

The Mini is better constructed (IMO) but the quality of the light put out by the L10 Nichia is top notch.

Minis come in several battery formats (AA, CR123, CR2) so you have your pick. CR123 is my favorite battery these days.

Ken

13. DogsRule

DogsRule Loaded Pockets

Okay, you got me...this is a thread about new lights, but I saw your Kershaw and had to go over to Amazon and buy one for a little more than I'll spend on dinner for myself tonight.

cityofthesouth and tmedina like this.
  14. Southpaw

Southpaw EDC Junkie!!!!!

For AA, the L10 by L3 Illuminations. Tail stand, light, can take a drop, moonlight to high mode, removable pocket clip, no disco modes, cheap.

For AAA, Maratac AAA. Black comes in med-lo-high. No disco, tail stand, can take a drop. Your price point.

Now go my grasshopper!

15. cityofthesouth

cityofthesouth Loaded Pockets

Hahahaa, and you'll be glad you did.

16. clandr1

clandr1 Loaded Pockets

Check out the Streamlight Stylus Pro. 2xAAA, runs for 7.5 hours at 48 lumens, is extremely pocketable, and runs only $20 online.

17. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

That's the danger of this place. I was looking at another thread for managing keys and now I'm looking up a Chums surfshorts wallet. :help:

18. bfitz

bfitz Loaded Pockets

Wow. Thanks everyone. Time to go shopping

19. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

Throwing this one out even though its single mode.

Fenix EO5 AAA battery, no clip. 27 lumens-enough light to walk a trail by, but the diffuser makes it pleasant for using in close confined spaces. I think its the best $20 light out there.

20. PPCApache
    • In Omnia Paratus

PPCApache Banned

Last edited by PPCApache, May 3, 2014