1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Looking for ideas, simple keychain.

Discussion in 'Keychain Tools' started by el_murdoque, Nov 18, 2021.

1. el_murdoque

el_murdoque Loaded Pockets

So here's my situation:
    To get through my daily life, My keychain holds four keys plus one USB key.
    I have it all mounted in that Aluminum U-Shaped key holder (picture left).

I also have, more by luck than by design, recently acquired an Atwood Keychain tool, pictured on the right.
    To find out how this would perform on a keychain, I rummaged around in the cupboard and found three old
    keys that don't have a lock anymore and made up a mock keychain with the Atwood.

[​IMG]

I do want to change my setup because it is getting old and showing wear - but not in a good way. The key holder was purchased through one of those aliexpress-like websites and cost me something like two bucks including shipment.

What I like about it:
    Zero noise. The only part that is not restricted in movement is the magnet on the string, and that usually attaches itself to a key. I use that to connect my keychain to my car key, should I be out and about with the automobile.
    I can get rid of the USB key since my new laptop has only USB-C inputs and I usually have one somewhere about my person.

I currently see the following possibilities:

1. The same, but better. A titanium KeyBar, outfitted with a deep carry clip and the MagNut for example.
    The KeyBar would end up a bit longer, but also slimmer. The option of deep carry could improve comfort, but that needs to be determined through experience. However, the clips are not that expensive and I could remove it to slim it down.
    Cons:
    -Slightly larger
    -Might be overkill to have the mass of a whole KeyBar in my pocket just to secure 4 keys.
    Pros:
    -The Titanium 'Slayer' thing looks gorgeous.

2. The same, but better (2):
    Get something that closely resembles what I have, but with a better quality. Not as easily done as I thought.
    Hours of internet search yielded basically two results. The Raven Workshop KeyGrip. That is exactly the thing I have, but way better. There is a copper version and a titanium one - my favorite EDC materials.
    However, the Raven Workshop webshop is closed and has been for some time. No explanation except "It's all good" and no date when they might be back.
    The other option is the Cineik K-Addict which is both not very appealing to my eye and way more expensive than I'm willing to pay for two screws and two CNC drilled strips of titanium.

3. The more classic approach: Just getting a flashy key ring (something like a 20mm titanium split ring) and just put the keys and magnet on there with the Atwood. have a key ring like everybody else does.

Pros:
    -This will take up the least space in ideal circumstances (when the keys are properly aligned)
    -I get to toy around with my Atwood Mini Prybar.

Cons:
    -This will take up a lot more space in not ideal circumstances (keys not properly aligned)
    -Noise
    -Order. On my current key-holder I can easily navigate the order of the keys without looking at them - which is a bonus when it comes to opening doors in the dark with only one hand free. With a simple key chain that is not achieved without modifications.

I am undecided on how to proceed. The obvious choice would be trying out #3, because all I need is a split ring. However, I am a bit on the fence about this. The Atwood tool is brand new and unused and I am still debating selling it if I won't use it.

So I thought, maybe some input from some like minded folks may help, which brought me here, asking for your thoughts on the topic.

Tony Sal likes this.
  2. ox71

ox71 Loaded Pockets

Good option number 1
    Keysmart rugged, mine has 4 keys, a sim card tool, griffon pocket tool(klecker) and scissors (also klecker) and I bought the deep carry pocket clip shortly after its release.
    The Keysmart rugged is not as bulky as the option you mentioned and can be had in titanium.
    The configuration I carry is about the same size as a victorinox huntsman or fieldmaster(4 layer).

Option 2
    The leatherman carabiner tool, pictured here first as the lanyard end and then as a key organizer, since the initial build I've used a spare keysmart bolt instead of the parts bin hardware, the first build had three keys and now it houses 2 and is the spare set I keep in my work bag.
    It is very light and makes no noise. Depending on your fastener setup you can put a small prytool on it easy.
    Mine is about 5 years old and the gate has no issues.[​IMG][​IMG]

el_murdoque and echo victor like this.
  3. Tony Sal

Tony Sal EDC Junkie!!!

Yes, I used to have the keychain of death- 2 keys and 11 items hardly used.
    I now have a split ring with- house key, club key, a gifted tag and a ti whistle.
    Other little tools on a ring in my pack.
    Car and another separate.
    No more work keys, plastic card access

el_murdoque likes this.
  4. Banzboy

Banzboy Loaded Pockets

I have one key attached to a Rovyvon. Fob to the daily driver is separate. K.I.S.S.

Tony Sal likes this.
  5. ox71

ox71 Loaded Pockets

Probably didn't happen because there are no pictures./\ /\

el_murdoque likes this.
  6. assoc

assoc Loaded Pockets