1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Looking for good quality 2xAA Flashlight

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by dunneldeen, Feb 20, 2011.

1. dunneldeen

dunneldeen Loaded Pockets

I'm looking to get a new AA flashlight for my BOB, and for semi-frequent outdoor use while camping. I hope to simplify my carry and provide for less guilty use by looking for a AA light, instead of one that uses CR123's. I've got a few things that already require me to carry AA spares, and I've got a ton of high quality rechargeable AA batteries already. I'm hoping a dual mode 2xAA flashlight will greatly improve runtime and output as well.

I have a Quark 123 that I use for EDC, but I find the cost of non-rechargeable CR123 batteries annoying, and there doesn't seem to be any good/reliable recharging solutions for such.

2. 82camper

82camper Empty Pockets

If it's not a mini or a two cell cr123 you could just buy a double AA body & change out the switch & head ends to new Quark body .

hope this helps !

3. Gilgamesh

Gilgamesh Loaded Pockets

I set my wife up with a Fenix TK20 running on eneloops. Thing is a tank with good throw.

4. enki_ck

enki_ck Loaded Pockets

If you are happy with your quark, then get another one ;D QUARK AA² TACTICAL is exactly what you're describing.

As for good rechargeable 123s THESE seem to get the best reviews. THERE is also a charger to go with them at 4sevens.

Also take a look at Towers thread

Great advice, but the two mode thing works only if the head has the tactical UI

5. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

6. dunneldeen

The EW batteries do seem to be the most recommended; but there is so much pessimism and talk about exploding batteries, low shelf life, etc. that I am leary of them.

That said, the objective of using A AA² light is more one of convenience, minimal packing, and reusable(s) cost.

I like the suggestions so far, keep them coming.

7. popedandy

popedandy Loaded Pockets

I have a Quark mini 2xAA that I've been pretty happy with.

8. chriztt

chriztt Loaded Pockets

How about a Fenix LD20?

9. tower
    • In Omnia Paratus

tower Loaded Pockets

Learn your chemistries and you'll be fine. It's not as complicated as it seems. I put that thread up to make things simple.

10. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

Take a look at the EagleTac P10 A2.

11. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

SureFire now makes a 2AA version of their popular E2L model. I'd also recommend any 2AA model from Fenix.

As for CR123 cells, best way to save on those is to buy online, in bulk, and Made in America cells (such as SureFire, Duracell, Energizer, and Streamlight brand). The last has far more to do with quality control than patriotism. The really cheap Made in China cells that look like great bargains are simply not worth it. The companies that make them don't give a :censored: about quality control. And with lithium primaries, you don't skip on Q.C., especially since the consequences involve such cells "venting with flame." The technical term that is indeed ridiculously mild compared to what actually happens.

My last bulk purchase was a case (12) of Energizer CR123 cells for just a hair over $16. Compared to $18 for just 2 of those cells at any B&M shop.

12. jag-engr
    • Administrator

jag-engr Semper Bufo!
    Staff Member

I think the Fenix E21 might meet your criteria. It's a nice light with a 48-lumen low and 150-lumen high and simple bezel-twist selection. It also sort of reminds me of a Surefire for some reason.

Another light to consider would the Nitecore D20 if you want a tank of a light and a wide range of output.

13. SchHrdKncks

SchHrdKncks Loaded Pockets

14. dunneldeen

So far, I've heard:
    Quark AA^2
    Fenix TK20
    Fenix LD20
    Fenix E21
    Nitecore D20
    EagleTak P20A2 MKII

Of these, I'm leaning towards the Fenix LD20 (allthough it is still a tight race between the LD20, D20 and P20A2.) The LD20 reviews just seem more positive than the others and I like having the extra modes available.

Thanks to all that have replied so far.