1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Looking for good folding paring/utility knife

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Spartan745, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Spartan745

Spartan745 Loaded Pockets

I'm a culinary student taking classes this fall and I just want to know if there are any good 2.5-4" folding plain-edged knives that are are good for things like deveining a shrimp, removing the seeds from a jalapeño, etc. While I will clean it often, I do also want to use this as a general utility knife. Any suggestions?

2. mr.hauser

mr.hauser Loaded Pockets

The al mar lineup has some excellent knives that would work well as paring knives. (hawk, falcon, etc)

3. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

In a traditional pocket knife, maybe something like a large Stockman? I also like the SOG Twitch II. Fast one-handed opening, light weight, and a blade profile that should work well for what you need.

4. Polygeist

Polygeist Loaded Pockets

My first thought was Spyderco's Salt knives. The H-1 steel is in no danger of rusting from food juices or from washing. The Salt 1 has a 3" blade and comes in plain edge. It's not full flat ground, so it's not as good a slicer as it might be but would probably be adequate for food or utility use.

Let us know how the search goes. I work in a kitchen too and would be interested in what you come up with.

[​IMG]
    (not my pic)

5. Gnarly
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gnarly Loaded Pockets

AGRussell Hocho?

6. Ren

Ren Loaded Pockets

7. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

8. airsickness

airsickness Loaded Pockets

9. glockboy

glockboy Loaded Pockets

Kershaw Skyline, Kershaw Chill.

10. vivek16

vivek16 Loaded Pockets

Try an opinel. The opinel slim line has some nice knives that would be good for kitchen tasks.

11. airsickness

airsickness Loaded Pockets

Ah yes. And many Opinel come in stainless now. Nice thin blade, great slicers. Another great choice. But for the tasks you mention I still vote Victorinox Solo. ;)

12. simmerdownjack

simmerdownjack Loaded Pockets

If you don't mind me asking, what school are you attending?

13. mike3145

mike3145 Loaded Pockets

Not to throw a monkey wrench into your plans but health departments typically require kitchen utensils to be NSF certified (or the equivalent). That is to say that utensils need to be cleaned and sanitized using normal means and methods. While I haven't looked, I can't imagine that most "general purpose" knife manufacturers have had their knives certified.

Personally, I would think it a bit odd for a chef to pull a knife out of his pocket and start chopping veggies.

14. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

I know you want a folder for this but is there something specific that makes you want a folder for this kind of work? I would think that a thin bladed fixed blade would work better being easier to clean.

15. simmerdownjack

simmerdownjack Loaded Pockets

+1 on that

16. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

My understanding is that chefs generally carry their own chef knives with them, but I would imagine being a culinary student you aren't at that point. I worked in produce during college and carried a produce/fruit knife like this A.G. Russel Fruit Tester Knife. The only difference was the one I used was the same knife my used 30 years earlier. They tend to have a longer blade than you are looking for, but it is something to keep in mind.

17. dwong

dwong Loaded Pockets

That look very useful, the Al Mare Eagle got a fine point if needed.

18. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

I took a few classes in a culinary program. We were expected to bring our own knives and keep them sharp. Bringing fancy knives isn't a good idea - knives are tools in the kitchen, quite a few chefs will use any knife handy to open a can, bash garlic, etc. Even better if they're someone else's knives. I don't think any folding knife is going to be better than a $10 Forschner paring knife.

I have an Opinel Slim #8. It is a terrible knife for the kitchen. Too expensive, too hard to hold (especially when wet), too long and thin for paring knife duties, and if you get it seriously wet, the wood is going to swell and it won't fold anymore.

Just get the right tools for the job.