1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Looking for Folder suggestions under $75

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Mark Patton, Jun 13, 2018.

1. Mark Patton

Mark Patton Loaded Pockets

Looking for some suggestions on a folder under $75. I don't really plan on carrying it in my pocket. I want it more for just everyday stuff around the house, on vacation, and especially in the kitchen. Many times we end up in a condo on the beach with no useful knife. Or out at a picnic and need a knife for food prep. I'd like it to be spring assisted, with at least a 3.5" blade. Drop point preferred. I like the ZT0562, but that is more than I want to spend right now. Anyone else use an EDC knife for food prep? What works good for you?

2. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

To tell you the truth, if it were me, I'd just get 2 or 3 Opinels, probably since its for food prep and you're at the beach in stainless steel. I'd say a #6 as a paring knife, maybe a #8 as a general slicer, and a #10 in case you need to cut up something heavier like a melon. Opinels are fantastic slicers -- blades are thin and usually come sharp. Pretty easy to resharpen. Many of us who like these purposely dedicate them for picnic duty. Very simple construction - wood handle; blade pivots; rotating collar serves as a lock. I sometimes don't even bother locking the blade -- they didn't even have the collar lock I think until the 1950's. These have been in production for way over a hundred years in France.

These are absolutely not expensive -- you'd probably get all three for less than $75. Given you're at the beach I'd suggest get ones with the painted handles -- the wood is less likely to swell due to humidity.

I know its not what you specified, but you might be pleasantly surprised...

If you're really going to stay with the need for spring assist ZT of course is stable mate with Kershaw. Kershaw has probably the biggest lineup of spring assisted knives and many are easily less than $30.

But I'd still encourage you to look at Opinel!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

garza and Mark Patton like this.
  3. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Mark Patton likes this.
  4. Mark Patton

I'm serious about using it for food prep, yes. But I don't want to limit myself to just that. If I decide to take it camping, i'd like be able to use it while camping as well. Or fishing, etc.. I think Kershaw may be my brand to go to.

5. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

I use an Opinel when camping for food prep. I have a No 7, No 10 and No 12 outdoor.

6. _mg_

_mg_ Loaded Pockets

7. speedy

speedy Loaded Pockets

Spyderco Delica.

8. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

Sorry, no offense, but do you say that as a reflex to mention Spyderco? This one is not spring assisted. The Opinel, although not assisted, fits the bill at least due to having a thin blade which is excellent for food prep. Tell me how the Delica fits here?

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener

Moshe ben David likes this.
  9. JPHing

JPHing Loaded Pockets

Kershaw Cyro 2?

10. speedy

speedy Loaded Pockets

Spring assisted is overrated. I had a Benchmade spring assisted which is high quality folder. The problem with that is something as simple as cutting an orange, if not cleaned properly will not flick open all the way. With the Delica it will consistently open and at almost the same speed.

So yes, my suggestion will be what is a better choice, whether the person cares to take that advice is on them. I provide factual info, not always what people want to hear.

11. CL01

CL01 Loaded Pockets

If you're not planning on EDCing it (Especially if it's going to sit somewhere), why spring assist? I do agree with other posts that Kershaw probably is your best bet. Most of the less expensive Kershaws are going to be made in China & their blade steels are going to be Okay. However, I believe the Kershaw Blur would fit the bill & the ones with S30V would be just inside your budget of $75. The blade is just under 3.5", though & I believe it's US made if that matters to you.

If you're willing to go a little over your budget & not an AO folder, I'd suggest a Spyderco Pacific Salt, but it's about $10-15 over your budget. It's a good way to go for food prep. H1 steel is virtually rust free, the clip is titanium (Rust free), & IIRC, there's no steel liner, either. All of those things help when cleaning it from food prep. It's also a back lock, which is strong, easy to use, & won't be accidentally hit while using it for food prep.

As far as using my EDC knife for food prep...I've used my EDC folder for eating (Usually my CR Umnumzaan). If it's for food prep (& I've used one while camping/hiking), then it'd be a fixed blade, not a folder.

12. ThaMac

ThaMac Loaded Pockets

That might be as is. But maybe, it would have been good to provide your POV instead of just dropping a name. Then he’d knew why you mentioned it, so he can make an informed decision. My 0.02 USD.

Sent from my Glade Air Freshener

13. Mark Patton

I don’t “plan” on EDC carrying it, but I wanted a folder to put in my back pack when traveling. Rush 12, in those front AR magazine pockets. I also wanted the option to carry it while hiking.

I went out and looked at plenty of knives today. I’m now just going to get a Kershaw Lonerock fixed blade. I think a fixed blade will be easier to keep clean after food prep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. speedy

speedy Loaded Pockets

But maybe lets not make a big deal out of nothing.

15. speedy

speedy Loaded Pockets

Very true. Don't need to worry about the nook and cranny like hinges. Google it, very cool looking knife.