1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Looking for EDC upgrade advice

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by David L. Holt, Jul 31, 2012.

1. David L. Holt

David L. Holt Loaded Pockets

So, everyone's been great giving advice elsewhere, now let's get some lighting advice.

I'm looking to upgrade my EDC light. Currently, I carry the Fenix LD01 and I love it! That being said, it's lacking in a couple of areas that I'd like to correct.

First, even with Lithium AAA batteries, the medium setting (27 lumens) fades out too early in the battery life to be usable for long.
    Second, the 72 Lumen max just isn't as bright as I would like.
    Third, it lacks push-button operation for quick deployment.

So, here are my requirements for an upgrade:

-CR123/RCR123 OR 14500
    -Tailcap Button operation
    -Multiple brightness settings with something sub-75 lumens, a high above 120, and maybe a moonlight, more is fine.
    -IPX8 (obviously)
    -Sub-$100
    -Fits my carry style --- IMPORTANT

I am looking hard at the Fenix PD22/PD20, my only worry is how I carry my LD01 right now and whether it is functional to carry that way. Currently, I carry the LD01 in my back left pocket, clipped to the top of the pocket toward the outside of my body (i.e. left side, not outside the pocket). I have to carry this way because I wear jeans or slacks 90% of the time due to my job/life. I worry that the PD22 (or any CR123 light) might be to wide to comfortably carry that way. Anyone have any experience or advice on carry and light? Thanks.

Edit- LD... PD...LD.... PD....

Last edited by David L. Holt, Jul 31, 2012
  2. Sriracha

Sriracha Loaded Pockets

CR123 is a little fat for rear pocket carry. Maybe a Preon2? Its a double AAA, I think that format fits better in a pocket. I sometime carry my 4sevens MINI123 RFP, but it is much smaller because it is a twisty. A clicky adds length, not width so much. The batteries are the deciding factor in width, and AAA is the thinnest/ most available/ most available in RCR format.

3. brix

brix Loaded Pockets

Yes most small CR123 lights are pretty fat and might not be small enough to carry in your back pocket comfortably. An option if you like that format is to switch to carrying in the front using a dangler like the one by TEC accessories in the forum store or by monroe designs to help keep the light deep in your pocket.

+1 on the preon if your looking for back pocket carry.

4. David L. Holt

The preon is a bit long... I think I'm SoL since I can't have any gear exposed with my job and I already have enough in my front pockets...

Also really like the push button...

5. David L. Holt

6. D50boy

D50boy Loaded Pockets

EagleTac D25A Clicky

7. David L. Holt

Hmm... I hate trade offs...lol. I've narrowed it down to 3 options, PD22 (harder to back pocket carry, but CR123, and 190 Lumens), 4Sevens Quark Pro AA2 modded with a 1AA body and a 14500 (same issues with carry, but customized a bit, and 280 Lumens), and the EagleTac D25A Clicky (easier to back pocket, but only 122 OTF Lumens if I want to have modes...)

I love my Fenix, but after typing this up, it has no real advantage over the 4Sevens, so I guess it's the D25A or the Quark...

Wish I could afford both...

8. Racer

Racer Loaded Pockets

Get a V11R (or even V10R) with the extender. Then you can use a handful of batteries for the same light, including off the shelf AA's. Lots of options for both output and power with this light + extender. Or just go with a V10A if you know you want to run just AA's and 14500's in it. I think BJ has the R5 version for like 69 bucks.

And I can't stand bestofferbuy. They have nothing in stock and they happily take your money before they tell you that. I put in an order, they didn't have it in stock, so they gave me store credit. I spent a month playing the "do you have THIS one?" game before I finally found one they had. At the end of all this, customer service offered me a 5% coupon on my next order for my troubles. Sweet!

9. David L. Holt

Thanks for the warning on bestofferbuy. What is BJ?

10. jmac30
    • In Omnia Paratus

jmac30 Loaded Pockets

+1 on the v11r -solid light and with the extender you can run multiple types of batteries
    Bj is battery junction.com good to deal with
    Would also take a look at the lights Jon has in the forum store good luck

11. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

That's my newest light, and it's really served me well as my "do everything, everywhere" light. That role was previously served by a JETBeam RRT-0 XM-L with AA adapter; the JETBeam throws a bit better, but the Sunwayman does everything else just as well, in a much smaller package.

12. D50boy

D50boy Loaded Pockets

deleted- double post

13. D50boy

D50boy Loaded Pockets

I have a V11R in the mail to me. Versatility is there with the battery options and the adjustable output, but there are no modes... which I'll have to get over. It's 23mm thick at the head, 84mm long without the AA tube.

14. D50boy

D50boy Loaded Pockets

The RRT-0 was on the top of my list because of the modes, but a lot of people at CPF say that they have a flickering issue at anything lower than turbo. The older version had issues with pre-flash. How is yours?

15. Gryffin
    • In Omnia Paratus

Gryffin Loaded Pockets

Mine's solid, no flicker, no flash. It's the newer infinitely-variable one.

16. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

For what it's worth I have the QAAX (make sure you stick with the XML), in both regular and tactical, and just recd my D25A Ti. The D25 is nice and small, very handsome, and with some cool UI features that improve over the Quark, but Quark is the choice if you're looking for a serious tool and workhorse.

I'd suggest sticking with 14500/AAs as 14500s have about 15% more capacity than 16340s and you can always pick up AAs in a pinch.

Reasons I always seem to favor the Quarks:
    - longest runtimes with efficient buck drivers and the best selection of low modes
    - wide battery configurability - legoing battery tubes, wide voltage compatibility.
    - 10 yr warranty
    - great, US-based customer service, and repair

D25 vs Quark, both XML on 1xAA
    - D is smaller, thinner, nicer looking (Ti version) and cheaper
    - D has a pretty cool interface, almost like splitting the diff. between a Q pro and tactical. Buried disco modes
    - Q is current regulated (D is PWM on moonlight) which will give longer runtimes and nicer light
    - Q operates normally on 14500s, D goes direct drive, only 2 modes available. I wouldn't bother running D on Li-ions.
    - Q runs cooler... same heat is felt on max when Q is 280 and D is 122lm

I like the idea of variable ring lights, but they use power that destroys the low lumen runtimes.

17. Tropicheat

Tropicheat Loaded Pockets

surefire LX2 lumamax?

18. Flash Owl

Flash Owl Loaded Pockets

if youre going to spend around $100 on a edc light, might as well get a HDS.
    the HDS 120 clicky was only $99 not too long ago. not sure if those are still available.
    whats an addition $100 for a hds rotary that has a lifetime warranty, and great re-sell value?

it is a thick solidly built light. front pants pocket, or holster carry would be the best carry method imho.