1. Please update your bookmarks to use https://www.edcforums.com/
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Looking For Automotive Accessory Opinions

Discussion in 'Travel' started by bmstrong, Jan 8, 2017.

1. McNasty

McNasty Loaded Pockets

2. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

I don't know. I get Weather Tech E-mails...I think they had them on sale for the Holiday's. The first ones I bought were purchased directly from WT. The next ones I got, I got from my Chevy dealer. And I got the ones for my Outback, with it.

Have you looked into a remote starter?

3. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

Dealer actually gave me a neat pouch for the manuals and stuff. Looks green in person and tan in the photo.
    Got a cheap leather wallet for other papers.
    [​IMG]

bmstrong likes this.
  4. bmstrong

bmstrong Loaded Pockets

On the list this week. All of the articles I've read suggest, if you aren't technical like myself, purchasing the remote starter, making sure the key-less option is included and have the same shop install it. I'm leaning heavily in that direction. I just need to dig to find a reputable install/purchase shop in the Cleveland/Akron area.

5. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@bmstrong: congrats on your new car. In addition to accessories of these types, you should be giving some thought to some emergency gear. Certainly you'll have to be judicious on what and how much to carry based on your needs and the car size.

Some useful things that I usually advocate include:
    • rain poncho
    • reflective safety vest
    • headlamp (sure helps when dealing with a problem at night to have light shining where you're looking!)
    • reflective emergency triangles
    • road flares
    • pair of mechanics gloves
    • scrap of carpet or high density foam to kneel on (kneeling down on road debris is not fun. You don't want to attempt hopping around on the side of the road with traffic whizzing by when changing a tire!)
    • additional small light in passenger compartment
    • suitable blade for cutting seat/shoulder belt in case of real emergency
    • suitable device for breaking glass window in extreme emergency
    • a suitable (both in size and contents) First Aid Kit. Comes in handy, not just in case of an accident; can also help with 'normal' injuries unrelated to an accident.
    L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

bmstrong likes this.
  6. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

Nylon in general is considered amateur-hour here on edcf. You want your papers to survive everything short of a fire (car fires are so intense the point of trying to protect papers from that isnt considered practical). So you are looking at a strong, shockproof, water and air tight (ofc with pressure valve) in a bright color so you will be able to find it strapped down in your cars trunk covered by all your other 'edc' things (think rope, tools, chain, shovel, axe, mats, fire extinguisher, winch, jack, chainsaw, spare clothes, weeks worth of camping gear with supplies, hydraulic jaws of life and all other things we consider normal car-carry over here at edcf) so better make sure its neon orange;
    [​IMG]

Blackheart and bmstrong like this.
  7. Westerdutch

Hmm.. reading it all back i might have bad news for you... You're gonna need a bigger car mate!

Moshe ben David likes this.
  8. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

Does your car have Onstar?(Onstar saved my life. I love it. ) If so, there is a great app., that will allow you tie in your remote starter. On my Tahoe, I had Onstar, and a remote start can standard with it. I could use the Onstar app. to remote start my Tahoe, whilst at the hsopital, and start my car which was at least a mile away.

9. Blackheart

Blackheart Loaded Pockets

That has to be the ugliest wallet I've ever seen. Hope it was real cheap (like, free). ;)

10. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

Thanks for your opinion ;)

11. Mark_Trail

Mark_Trail Loaded Pockets

'haps just a ski box at the roof would do?;)
    As a fan of small cars I can relate to this prob :)

Sent from my NSA monitored iPhone using Tapatalk

12. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I was shocked every single day at how much I could carry in the Fit!
    I wouldn't go buying extra storage until I was sure that I need it.

13. Fronty2011

Fronty2011 Loaded Pockets

I have a Compustar remote start/keyless entry with alarm and Drone Mobile. I dont use a key or remote to unlock my truck, just walk up and it disarms and unlocks automaticaly. When I walk away it locks and arms, uses rfid chip on my key ring. Drone mobile lete me arm, disarm, start, stop, lock, unlock, track with gps and check status of battery and if any doors are open. I can do this from anywhere with my phone, cost about $120 a year for that though, cheaper without the gps.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

14. Gogogordy

Gogogordy Loaded Pockets

15. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

ummm. For everyone advocating remote car starters. There appears to be a movement afoot in several parts of these United States to ban cars sitting unattended and idling. In some jurisdictions, the time limit is as short as 3 minutes in 'good weather'; 5 minutes in dead of winter. Do a Google search. Given winter is here, I'm seeing articles on this for tickets issued from Michigan down to the Carolinas, just as an example. Yes, in some cases this was in residential neighborhoods!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

16. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

Well said! And it's just going to sit in the glove compartment and used maybe once or twice a year anyway. Also, weather tech mats seem to be a bit overkill for a Chevy Spark, considering how little he even uses it. A plastic zip lock bag and generic rubber/plastic mats should be more than sufficient (that's what I use). Now, if it were a Chevy Camaro or Corvette, then that would be a different story.

ItsHardToKnow likes this.
  17. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

double post

18. kikaida

kikaida Loaded Pockets

In those instances, the key was left in the ignition of those vehicles while the engine was running. With a remote starter, the key is not in the ignition. And like mine, if you try to press the brake pedal to shift out of park, the engine cuts off if the key is not in the ignition, which is the security feature that remote starters have so that no one can just get in and drive away.

TKC likes this.
  19. Westerdutch

Isn't that still equally bad for the environment? Seems to me that that's what the tickets are for, not for being stupid and enabling car thieves..... omg if the police would give out tickets for people being stupid they wouldn't have time to catch criminals!

Moshe ben David likes this.
  20. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Bad for the environment?Really?

I warm my car up every morning warm or cold and for sure longer in the cold and the difference is that I am sitting in there.
    I don't understand the whole remote start thing really.

A friend put one in his van this week and he sleeps in the van during most kinds of weather. He called me the other morning from inside the van after using the remote start for the first time to tell me how great it was.
    I told him to stop sleeping in the van if it was too much for him.

I love keyless entry,when it works though.

TKC likes this.