1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Looking for an EpiPen holder.

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by lordhamster, Feb 27, 2013.

1. lordhamster

lordhamster Loaded Pockets

The other day my wife and I fed our younger son (9 months old) eggs for the first time. He instantly went into a full blown reaction (anaphylaxis). Luckily we were able to feed him children's Benadryl and get him medical attention on time.

Anyway, due to his newfound allergy, we will need to go through the next 5 years at least carrying the following:

EpiPen Jr set (two pens), + Benadryl single doses.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So I'm looking for a nice pack that can attach to the outside of my wife's diaper backpack. Red would be prefered, but a tactical pack with a velcro field where we can attach some medical type patch would work as well.

I want anyone who is watching the baby to instantly be able see where the medicine is, and have it be nice and organized within the small pack.

Any suggestions?

ProjeKtWEREWOLF likes this.
  2. CanvasNBrass

CanvasNBrass Loaded Pockets

Perhaps the cases that diabetics use to store their insulin and syringes would be adaptable?

3. lordhamster

Absolutely, any ideas for something that could attach to MOLLE and maybe have a hook/loop field for a patch? I'm thinking of getting an "EpiPen" or "Medic" type patch to make the pouch easily recognizable.

4. CanvasNBrass

CanvasNBrass Loaded Pockets

Hmm. Here's a few red medical molle pouches you might be able to work with. http://www.majorsurplus.com/Medical-C2313.aspx

5. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

Mine is about the size of a medium flashlight. Maybe something designed for that would work.

Sent by Owl Post

6. ac7ss
    • In Omnia Paratus

ac7ss Loaded Pockets

The junior pens should fit in a doublestack mag carrier. One in Coyote would be markable with red sharpie.

HardToHandle and GoBliNuke like this.
  7. lordhamster

IzzyJG99 likes this.
  8. Euthymic

Euthymic Loaded Pockets

My son (now 4) has severe peanut allergies so we have similar needs regarding a constant carry (epipens plus various medications). He also has asthma so our kit is a bit larger (to keep an aero-chamber and albuterol). I can tell you from experience that since your son is predisposed into going into anaphylaxis, as he gets older you will need at least a second set of pens that are kept at his daycare and make sure his classroom teachers know how to use them. Also, having a kit that visually stands out (i.e., bright color such as red) is very helpful as you will need to be able to make sure you have the pens with you at a quick glance. There is nothing that can slow down a departure faster than saying "honey.. do you know where the kit is?) as you search around the house. A strong reaction to eggs is how we found out about our sons allergies so I'm assuming that your son has been checked for other food allergies but if not, make sure this gets done. Back to your original question, we have carried a bright red fanny pack up till now but I just ordered the Condor ma41 Ripaway EMT pack in red to give a shot at something that organizes his meds a bit better. Oh, and be careful around other families, especially as he gets a little older and starts getting invited to parties where ingredients to foods may not be well known. Most people think "oh, a little scratchy throat" when they think about food allergies and not the potentially life threatening condition that kids that go into anaphylaxis experience.

9. D50boy

D50boy Loaded Pockets

Last edited by D50boy, Feb 28, 2013
  10. fresh eddie fresh
    • In Omnia Paratus

fresh eddie fresh Loaded Pockets

Would one of those Tactical Tailor hardcases do the trick? They attach to PALS webbing and are rigid. The outside is plastic, so you could put a decal with the contents on the outside, or put a piece of self-stick Velcro for patches.

11. BilMacGil

BilMacGil Loaded Pockets

I looked up the dimensions: 5 1/2" X 1" in their outer containers, according to Yahoo Answers. That might help with your decisions.

12. Moose33

Moose33 Empty Pockets

You might try a Tom Bihn Pouch. They come in red dyneema, zip closed and can clip to just about anything. Please let us know what you find that works best.
    Take care,
    Moose

13. Moose33

Moose33 Empty Pockets

Opps, sorry double post.

14. lordhamster

Great idea. I have tons of Bihn stuff already.

15. shrap

shrap Loaded Pockets

16. FrozenMuffin

FrozenMuffin Loaded Pockets

That TQ pouch looks like it would do the trick.
    I carry an epipen for myself in my malaga. I'm severely allergic to wasp/bee/scorpion/ant bites and stings but my reaction isn't so instantaneous that I need it right away so it can stay inside the bag.

[​IMG]

It would be almost impossible to always store the pen at a constant 77 degrees fahrenheit like it says but keeping it inside the bag will help keep it cool and protect it from sunlight

17. Prybry

Prybry Loaded Pockets

Actually the acceptable temp range is 58 to 86 degrees F.
    That is about the same as todays insulin...

I once used a green County Comm pocket organizer for my 300 cc insulin pen and blood test kit.
    http://www.countycomm.com/pocketorganizer.html
    But any of the pocket organizers would work...

I would stick with either tan or green, avoid black since it will heat up more in the sun and cause high temps to be an issue.

Another tip, I used the County Comm tube vault as a ice cooler insert...
    http://www.countycomm.com/tubevault.html
    I just filled it with water and froze it... slipped it in the pocket next to the insulin pen.
    I only did this when I knew I was going to be outside in the hot sun.

rongallant and FrozenMuffin like this.
  18. ProjeKtWEREWOLF

ProjeKtWEREWOLF Loaded Pockets

I just attached my old Maxpedition Janus pouch to the side of my RUSH 12 to hold my daughter's Epipen (2 x 0.3mg autoinjectors). The pouch doubles as a boo boo kit, so plasters, pain relief and migraine meds etc. Fits nicely. I wouldn't buy a Janus especially for this purpose but it is a near perfect fit.

19. Jay-uk

Jay-uk Loaded Pockets

Maxpedition cacoon

20. HardToHandle

HardToHandle Loaded Pockets

Our diaper bag rolls with Benadryl, child Berman airways and a boo boo kit. Scary situation for your family.

A former coworker carried his epipens in a M9 dual mag carrier that matched the UM84 holster. Nice padding in the Bianchi manufacture. Very 1980s and not at all subtle - https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/USGI_9mm_alice_mag_pouches_/10-446162/

Fancy, clever design in MOLLE with the cool medical cross inset - https://www.blueforcegear.com/www.blueforcegear.com/micro-trauma-kit

Personally, I use this LBX/LBT MOLLE blowout pouch which might work for the use case (not really endorsing) - http://lbxtactical.lbtinc.com/0065c. LBT has all sorts of great pouches - http://lbtinc.com/pouches/medical-pouches and http://lbtinc.com/pouches/utility-tool-pouches?limit=all.

ProjeKtWEREWOLF likes this.