1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Looking for an A5 notebook leather cover

Discussion in 'Pens, Pencils, Notebooks, and Notebook Covers' started by tal-c, Oct 26, 2015.

1. tal-c

tal-c Loaded Pockets

I've decided that i'd like to replace my usual routine of paper notebook at work with something a bit more stylish.
    Since ebay was a huge variaty of junk or semi-junk notebook covers, I did some EDCF research on the subject, and it seems like saddleback leather is the leading brand.

I'd like an A5 sized notebook, and a hard, thick leather cover, and the saddleback moleskin & bible cover both seem to be a good match.

Can any forum member offer their opinion on both covers and their fit of an A5 notebooks? Which is overall better?
    Also, I'd like to know of other EDC-worthy brands.

CalicoSalsa likes this.
  2. quietconundrum
    • In Omnia Paratus

quietconundrum EDC Junkie

Popov Leather is worth a look. I EDC their small Field Notes leather cover (replaced FN w/ RITR stapled notepad) in my back pocket daily. Top quality, handmade and built to order (you choose leather color, stitching color, custom options, etc), tough as nails. Highly Recommended. They'll make whatever you like if they don't already offer it.

kkay, tal-c and CalicoSalsa like this.
  3. tal-c

tal-c Loaded Pockets

I think that the largest size Popov are offering is of the small field notes notebook. I'm a mechanical engineer, so an A5 is kind of the minimum I could do with.

Their prices do seem a lot better than saddleback's.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

4. quietconundrum
    • In Omnia Paratus

quietconundrum EDC Junkie

Well, they're a small-scale shop and can make custom orders, too. I'd shoot them an email letting them know you're interested in an A5 rendition of the Driftwood Field Notes Cover and see if they'd be open to accommodating such a request.

tal-c likes this.
  5. rat-7

rat-7 Loaded Pockets

You could google "Midori traveler DIY" and make your own cover. There are a bunch of leather cover makers that work out of small enough shops that they would do a custom job. You can also get most shoe repair shops to sew up a design you have in mind.

6. Airmechqa

Airmechqa Loaded Pockets

Go to Westcoastshaving.com and look at the Badger & Blade leather A5 cover. Great product made by Franklin-Christoph. I love mine.

Tom

7. Jammin82

Jammin82 Loaded Pockets

Renaissance Art is coming out with their line of leather covers that will fit the Cahier journals from Moleskine (the large size is basically A5). They haven't released them yet, but they're coming soon. I have one that they made custom for me, and it's brilliant and bulletproof. Also take a look at the Midori covers and journals. Their "standard" size is 11x21cm, and works perfectly for me. Passport size is just what it says. Covers are leather and beautiful, and they sell replacement bands and refills as well. I carry the standard size in my bag every day, it's an extension of my brain (or perhaps it is my brain...). Photos of either on request.

8. tal-c

tal-c Loaded Pockets

I've been roaming ETSY a lot latley, and came up with a few makers that make awesome looking notebook covers: Strideridge, Nivisto, and Holtz leather.
    Any forum member owns anything made by them? Since i'm ordering online without ever seeing their work, it's a real shot in the dark for me.

StrideRidge:
    https://www.etsy.com/il-en/listing/252425992/a5-leather-notebook-cover-in-medium

Nivisto:
    https://www.etsy.com/il-en/listing/213920806/leather-journal-cover-personalised?ga_order=most_relevant&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery&ga_search_query=nivisto&ref=sr_gallery_9

Holtz leather:
    https://www.etsy.com/il-en/listing/252761480/no-18-inventor-personalized-fine-leather

9. rat-7

rat-7 Loaded Pockets

Great looking covers. At first I saw the price and thought :censored:!!!! but then I realized I'm an idiot and converted them to Canadian dollar and they are very reasonable priced. I might have to invest in one as the Apica CD11 is one of my favorite notebooks for taking notes in meetings and it's an A5 size.

10. trfkcop

trfkcop Loaded Pockets

Look at Oberon Design

11. TiBoy

TiBoy Loaded Pockets

$100 at Kendal & Hyde

12. TiBoy

TiBoy Loaded Pockets

Or DIY one and enjoy its aging process.

[​IMG]

tal-c likes this.
  13. sap

sap Loaded Pockets

Not sure if he has the size you need but I can highly recommend Wilde Moon Leather. Please have a look.

14. CatherineM
    • In Omnia Paratus

CatherineM Loaded Pockets

Mine is a leather Mywalit. I don't think they make them anymore. Nice Italian leather.

Sent by owl post.

15. Stonerman33
    • In Omnia Paratus

Stonerman33 Loaded Pockets

I have two a5 covers that see regular use. The first is a Roterfaden Taschenbegleiter. It has metal clips inside to retain notebooks and books can be swapped out in seconds. If this one interests you, check out Baum-kutchen. I use this one at work as I can keep projects separated in individual notebooks.

The other a5 cover I use is the Franklin Christoph saddleboot leather cover. FC makes some really nice FirmaFlex notebooks that fit these, but I personally use a SevenSeas Writer, a Japanese notebook with Tomoe River paper. This notebook/cover combo is what I use for journaling.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone 6 Plus using Tapatalk

kkay, Redneck Bear, tal-c and 3 others like this.
  16. tal-c

tal-c Loaded Pockets

That FC cover looks great in your picture! On all the other pics of it i've seen it looked a bit too "classy" for what i was aiming for. I'll certainly give it another look.

Meanwhile, I kinda put the leather fetish on hold and went down a totally different path...
    I'll update when i'll get it from ETSY.
    [​IMG]

kkay and Cobra 6 Actual like this.
  17. Chaz

Chaz Loaded Pockets

Shoot me a pm, I might be able to help...

18. tal-c

tal-c Loaded Pockets

I promised i'd post some pics, so here they are:
    I'm quite happy with the outcome. I ended up getting a totally different style than i originally intended, but i'm still pleased.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kkay, BJJ0725 and Sachsen like this.
  19. Zirk208

Zirk208 Loaded Pockets

Do you have a link to the etsy shop or a name for them?

tal-c likes this.
  20. tal-c

tal-c Loaded Pockets

The name of the shop is Buffalo Brass.

ecksdog likes this.