1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Looking for alternative/suggestions

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by rcw357, Jan 5, 2016.

1. rcw357

rcw357 Loaded Pockets

Looking for a 2000ci, anything between 1800-2200 would be acceptable, could go slightly larger. Replacing a blade 30.

Things I would like:

Clamshell opening
    No Molle or very minimal
    Heavy duty material
    External lashing points (side compression for say sticking an umbrella would be idea)
    Large bottle holders

Things I don't care for:
    Lots of compartments
    Admin pockets (not a deal break, but I don't care for them)
    Not overly tactical looking (things like camo are auto deal breakers)

Packs I have considered but not exactly what I want:

Goruck GR2 (the molle is unappealing and no compression straps/bottle holders is off putting, the clamshell and pack set up is very appealing).

ILE bags (default and flaptop look cool, can get in navy which is awesome, but aren't clamshell and no water bottle pockets either)

Tom Bihn Brain Bag (everything about it except the rather less than wide opening, I dont like the admin pockets, but not that bad)

Ember backpacks (more cool than anything else, and well rugged, but missing too manythings, kinda small)

Mission Workshop (nothing works for me)

First Spear Comm pack (really like it but doesn't clamshell and doesn't have a convenient way to lash an umbrella)

HPG - Nothing fits my needs

SERT Evade (misses on too many things)

Eberlestock Terminator (just seeing if you made it this far)

Also looked at Eagle Creek (like their packing cubes and stuff) and Arc'Teryx, Vanquest IBEX and didn't see anything appealed.

Any thoughts appreciated it. Leaning towards the ILE and Tom Bihn as of now.

2. twoisone
    • In Omnia Paratus

twoisone EDC Junkie!!!

Not sure what clamshell means exactly, but I have this North Face Bigshot which has a lot of what you are looking for. Big bottle holders, side strap/lash points, a few pockets as well as a laptop sleeve if you need and very well made. The beauty of this original model was I just got it for 50 percent off as well.

[​IMG][/URL]

3. twoisone
    • In Omnia Paratus

twoisone EDC Junkie!!!

Cool. My original blade did not do that.

4. T.H.Cone

T.H.Cone I am senor Fluffy, hear me roar

Easy- MAP 3500 by Amron International (actually sewn by Kelty).

2300 ci, heavy duty, MILSPEC bag without the mall ninja look, minimal admin- very unobtrusive, sizable H2O side pockets- I normally run 27 or 40 oz KKs, but it can easily handle something like a USGI canteen and cup if that's what you are in to, two compressions straps per side, a "real" suspension system (including a removable padded hip belt), no PALS webbing- though it does have a short run of daisy chain and some )removable) shock cord.

I feel the same way about this bag as I do the Endura... utter perfection.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Excalseras, ManVsLawn and No Agenda like this.
  5. Rainy
    • In Omnia Paratus

Rainy Uber Prepared

You seem to have my exact taste in bags. Ive looked at all the ones you mention and really wish for a TB Synapse thatd be closer to 40l or a GoRuck GR2 without any molle. Following this thread! :)

Excalseras and ManVsLawn like this.
  6. Desperado213

Desperado213 Loaded Pockets

X2 on the MAP 3500. I had mine for sale not long ago on the forum but the more I thought about it I just couldn't part with such an awesome bag. The main compartment is so large and can fit a lot of stuff. There arnt a million pockets everywhere. I bought a goruck gr2 34L to replace my map3500 but I just didn't like it as much so I ended up selling it. The 3500 has some of the most comfortable suspension I've ever tried and prefer less internal pockets and love the 4 point compression straps. There's really not much negatives I can say about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excalseras, ManVsLawn and T.H.Cone like this.
  7. T.H.Cone

I've mentioned this before elsewhere, and I am generalizing, but bags from real backpack companies are far better at carrying a load than bags from tactical companies or trendy bag companies.

The hip belt on the MAP 3500 is substantial for when you need and removable for wham you don't. The stays and the rest of the suspension are equally as well thought out. This is what you get when the bag in question is designed and built by Kelty.

ManVsLawn and moostapha like this.
  8. moostapha

moostapha Loaded Pockets

I think I might have to try that at some point.

sent from a device with a keyboard that hates me

ManVsLawn and T.H.Cone like this.
  9. rcw357

rcw357 Loaded Pockets

Im have debating the map, I saw on solder systems a new bag from sneakybags made for sentinel that also looks perfect.

T.H.Cone likes this.
  10. T.H.Cone

Oh, ya? I'm off to look at it now 'cause I'm always in the mood for one more bag.

11. MTFatboy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

MTFatboy Loaded Pockets

That bag is a modification of the EVADE (with a lot of your misses removed). It ought to be outstanding.

T.H.Cone likes this.
  12. rcw357

rcw357 Loaded Pockets

I have the other one, I forget what it was called. Overbuilt would be an appropriate name.

Not sure how big the Evade was, 1500ish?

Everything looks great on it except for the velcro molle on the inside.

T.H.Cone likes this.
  13. MTFatboy
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner
    • In Omnia Paratus

MTFatboy Loaded Pockets

Just under, by (24.1l =1471 cu in) but the final revision is advertised as 1650. I'm not sure how much combining the main and laptop compartments and ditching a lot of the padding and admin stuff will add. It will probably fall at the low end of your size range.

T.H.Cone likes this.
  14. thegut

thegut Loaded Pockets

Check out Direct Action's Ghost. I picked up one for Christmas. The waist belt and outside admin pocket can be detached. Comes in a lots of different colors too. I typically use the bag for edc without the belt or admin pocket however I use them for day hikes. The admin pocket can attach via molle or via the straps to make a beaver tail like TAD's packs. It also uses laser cut molle which is a lot more low key then regular molle. The side pockets can hold up to 40oz nalgenes. Here is mine in Ranger Green. The pack without the admin pouch is 28 liters and with it is 31 liters
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

15. T.H.Cone

I've got to say, Gut, that thing is right up my alley.

thegut likes this.
  16. JHGM

JHGM Dinosaur Supervisor

Yeah, that's what you need T.H...

Another bag.

:D

gatorfan, thegut and T.H.Cone like this.
  17. rcw357

rcw357 Loaded Pockets

on soldier systems a couple of pages back is some interesting packs from SOG that are due to be announced at shot as well. no idea on the quality.

MTFatboy and T.H.Cone like this.
  18. Queen of Saigon

Queen of Saigon Loaded Pockets

I love my Kelty MAP 3500 in black. I retired it as my main bag to both a MR 3DAP in black and a Arc'teryx LEAF Khard 30. Although I have nostalgia for my MAP, especially for out of county searches, I find that the 3DAP and the Khard's mundane seeming suspension are both superior for my back shape and length. Hope you already found your dream pack at this time.