1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Looking for advice on replacement of EagleTac D25LC2

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by mcr77, Apr 30, 2017.

1. mcr77

mcr77 Loaded Pockets

Hi Fellow EDC-ers,

Please check THIS THREAD first, where I tell about the leather EDC sheath I created. I’m looking for advice on replacement of the EagleTac D25LC2 with a flashlight that is similar in diameter, quality and functionality, only shorter. Based on my criteria I zeroed in on the Fenix PD22 Ultimate Edition (510 lumen) which is still available in one or two webshops here (Netherlands), but before buying I wonder if there are other recommendations.

Thanks in advance for any advice and recommendations!

Here’s my list of criteria:

2) What Region/Country/State will the light be purchased in?
    I am in The Netherlands (Nitecore, Fenix, Olight and other mainstream brands are available locally)

3) Price Range:
    $40-60

4) Format:
    PART A
    I want a flashlight.

PART B
    Length:
    4 inches (this is critical because of the sheath I already made)

PART C
    Width:
    0.9 inches (this is critical because of the sheath I already made)

PART D
    6) What batteries do you want to use?
    CR123A / Li-ion 16340

7) How much light do you want? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).
    I want to light an entire campground or dazzle an intruder. (100+ lumens)

8) Throw vs Flood: Which do you prefer, lights that flood an area with a wide beam, or lights that "throw" with a tightly focused beam? Place an “X” on the line below. Sometimes a flood is better particularly closer up or indoors. You won't have to "sweep" the light back and forth to see what you need to see. You can also just set it down pointing the general direction rather having to point it right at that which you are working.

Throw (distance)———————————X———————————Flood/close-up

11) Switch Type:
    clickie switch. (Stays on until pressed again.)

12) Switch Location:
    I want a push switch on the back end of the body.

13) Operational Modes: Check all that apply.
    I want multiple light levels. (some lights have 5-16 light levels.)
    I want a tactical strobe. (Flashes rapidly to disorient an opponent.)

14) Is it important whether the body is metal or plastic/composite? In this case "plastic" and it's variants does not mean "cheap" or poorly made. In many applications a plastic bodied light is preferable, hard use and water resistance comes to mind; think caving or lights that get dropped or abused.

I want a metal-bodied light.

15) Special Needs: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Circle any below or write in your own comment(s).

Waterproof – how deep: 2 meters (IPX8)
    Non-reflective/dark finish (stealthy/hard to find)
    Corrosion resistant or hard-anodized finish
    Belt clip

#1 mcr77, Apr 30, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2017
  2. turbo6

turbo6 Loaded Pockets

I have considered that Fenix before because I love the size and output but the only thing holding me back is that I simply have no other lights that take a 16340 cell. You can run 2 types of batteries but I prefer to use rechargeable so it still remains a consideration for the future.

500 lumens in your pocket is quite acceptable and honestly I tend to use lights like that more often than say, a larger 1000 lumen light because the smaller one is easier to carry and the perceived brightness isn't much more.

With that said, the PD22 looks like an great EDC light and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Fenix due their excellent build quality and customer service.

mcr77 likes this.
  3. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

4. mcr77

mcr77 Loaded Pockets

Thanks! I bought the D25LC2 from him :).

The D25C was the first one I looked at myself. However, its diameter is 20mm so 2,5 mm less than the D25LC2 to which I have formed the leather. The friction fit of the current flashlight is perfect, so I'm afraid the D25C will be too loose a fit. That's why I started looking further. The Fenix PD22 is 21.5mm...

I erroneously indicated 0.8 inches (20mm) for the diameter, but it should be 0.9 (22mm) inches will correct that immediately.

5. mcr77

mcr77 Loaded Pockets

6. Westerdutch

Nichia 219 leds in general render in a more pleasing color. You do get quite a bit less light from em tho.

7. mcr77

mcr77 Loaded Pockets

Thanks! In that case, I would prefer power over pleasing... ;)

8. Westerdutch

You sir are in the first phase of flashlight ownership syndrome. Dont worry, we will make you a connoisseur in no time!

9. mcr77

mcr77 Loaded Pockets

:rofl:

You sir, might be wrong on that one... Have been a flashlight owner since a friend in Sweden gave me this one when I was 14 years old:

[​IMG]

10. Westerdutch

Incan maglites dont count. If you are still on the 'more output is better' train then you still have a long way to go.

I just checked one of my old quarks and those have a 22mm diameter... But i keep forgetting those are no longer in production. It is proof tho that 16340 light do exist in the thicker variety...

Are you open to aa powered lights?

11. mcr77

mcr77 Loaded Pockets

Of course not, because they usually don't have the amount of output of the CR123 / 16340 lights...

But seriously: I recently invested in an Xtar charger and 18650 battery. Would only have to buy the 16340 with the new flashlight for everyday use. I already have a stash of Duracell CR123's in my extended EDC for :censored: situations. I want to be able to use those for both flashlights.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

12. mcr77

mcr77 Loaded Pockets

OMG, I just noticed that the abbreviation I used is censored

For those who wonder what I meant: Excrement colliding with the electrical flabellum situations...

13. mcr77

mcr77 Loaded Pockets

Is there anyone out there who owns the Fenix PD22 Ultimate Edition and a set of calipers and who could let me know the exact width at the thickest point? It seems to me that the indicated diameter is at the bezel and the "nut" shape behind the button is where is the maximum width...

Thanks in advance. Would be hugely appreciated!

[​IMG]

14. Doctawho

Doctawho Loaded Pockets

15. Westerdutch

16. mcr77

mcr77 Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the input. The Astrolux is 24mm in diameter and therefore too wide. I pulled the trigger on the Fenix PD22 UE yesterday, so it should be in the mail tomorrow. Will post about my findings...

17. mcr77

mcr77 Loaded Pockets

I ordered the Fenix PD22 UE, but the shop sent me the PD25. I had looked at it before, but wasn't sure about the side switch. It seemed to be sticking out more then on the 22. After receiving the PD25 it turned out this wasn't really an issue and I decided to keep it. It fits the ECC sheath perfectly and that was the primary concern. Throws out an insane 550 lumens on one 16340 battery in nice neutral white. Very pleased with it so far. [​IMG][​IMG]

steeps and BigGreenTick like this.
  18. steeps

steeps Loaded Pockets

I like the sheath, where did you get it?

19. mcr77

mcr77 Loaded Pockets

steeps likes this.