1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Looking for advice: new automatic wristwatch...?

Discussion in 'Watches' started by RogerStenning, Jul 7, 2017.

1. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

Hi.

I've been using a surplus British Army wristwatch, a G1098, with a quartz movement, for some time, and it's slowly getting a tad worn out. It's also banged up up quite a bit (scratches all over the place, replacement crystal, etc); and rather than seeing if the Cabot Watch Company can service it, I'd like to retire it, with my choice for a replacement being a watch with an automatic movement.

This brings up what I'd also like:
    • Automatic movement
    • Analogue face with hours/minutes/second hands;
    • A day/date display;
    • A black or green case;
    • A black or green face;
    • A clear and effective luminosity of the dial marks and hands;
    • A fabric or nylon strap that can be replaced with a standard G1098/NATO strap;
    • and Costing a maximum of £150 (GBP 150).

I'd rather have a known and reliable brand. I've seen both Seiko and Citizen watches that almost fit the bill, but neither of them have black or green cases , sadly (I like the low-vis look).

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Roger

2. Henryhoover

Henryhoover Loaded Pockets

Best bet would be something like a luminox, traser or tawatec at your budget you'll be looking for a used one check out some of the watch forums or eBay they do come up occasionally I can't think of many others with black or green cases that aren't just painted and will scratch and show marks etc. So you'll want a plastic type case in my experience black metal cases get scratched and look tatty quite quickly.

RogerStenning likes this.
  3. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

4. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Add to the ones already mentioned Marathon and Deep Blue!
    Marathon is a Military watch and they do make some lower priced Black models but these will likely be plastic too,not that there is a problem inherent with that in my experience though?

Deep Blue has some pretty nice Steel cased models that are great for little money and I am really liking one of mine these days when I am not wearing the Apple Watch too.
    Mine is a DayNight T25.

[​IMG]

I seem to miss so many calls and texts though when not wearing the Apple that I wear it to work all the time lately!
    It is a lot more rugged than it looks too and mine is all Black with a conventional dial if thats what you want.

Henryhoover likes this.
  5. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

Thanks :) Both those brands are few and far between over here, it seems, and mostly pricey, too. I'll keep my eyes open, though :)

6. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

A bit of an amplified reply to my earlier one above (I was pushed for time (sic)!)
    Luminox appears to be well outside my price range, with the cheapest to meet the specs I want at a shade over a grand GBP :frantic:
    For Traser, the cheapest that fits the appearance requirement is a quartz movement, sadly (Outdoor Pioneer), at £175.
    I can't seem to find aywhere that has Tawatec for sale over here.

I'll keep my eyes open though, thanks.

Henryhoover and jcombs like this.
  7. jcombs

jcombs Loaded Pockets

Shike likes this.
  8. Henryhoover

I'm in the uk and got a tawatec a few years back buggered if I can remember where I bought it now though, that one Jcombs has posted is lovely

Very nice that especially considering the price

RogerStenning and jcombs like this.
  9. Glock Block

Glock Block Loaded Pockets

Citizen makes this exact watch with a black case and black band. I know because I have it. The cost for the one shown is $200.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This watch is probably 10 years old and I wore it nearly every day for probably 7 of those years. I've replaced it with a different Citizen Evo Drive that is more of a field watch.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#9 Glock Block, Jul 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 8, 2017
  10. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

11. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

It's about fifty quid over budget, but I could live with that if it was just that, however despite not requiring batteries, it's got a quartz movement (I have a couple of good - at least, good to me - reasons for not wanting that form of movement). Pity, it's a nice looking piece.

12. jcombs

jcombs Loaded Pockets

Shike and azpops like this.
  13. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

Nice looking piece :) Seems to retail for the same figure, but with a Pound sign instead of a Dollar sign (not an unusual practice, sadly).

And something interesting along the way: Checked on Amazon uk for that, and in related items found these:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B007FZRAG0?psc=1
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B013LILGTG?psc=1

Both are about 25-30 quid more than I'd like to pay, but they're both Auomatic, both black, and both have day/date displays.

So now I'm down to deciding which of the two I want.

Decisions, decicisions... Oh, bugger ;)

Last edited by RogerStenning, Jul 9, 2017
    #13 RogerStenning, Jul 8, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2017
  14. Henryhoover

The second one for me with the yellow just because I've never seen one on anyone so its more unusual, can't go far wrong with a seiko 5 auto

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

I'm thinking Seiko is going to be the manufacturer; I'm not convinced at to the two I found noted above;
    • I'm not a diver, so don't need a diving time offset bezel;
    • The yellow bezel is eye catching, yes, but I'm stuffed if I can figure out at a single glance how it's supposed to be used - if it's not intuitive, it's generally going to be little or no use to me.

On bezels: Yes, I like a bezel that can be rotated, so we're down to two types, remembering the above: The slide rule format (which wouldn't be used much, if at all), or the compass-style bezel.

As I do a little camping/walking from time to time (need to do more of that, loose some padding!), and a bit of dead reckoning (actually "Ded. Reckoning", from the seafaring usage) never hurt anyone, I'd say a compass bezel would be the most useful for me ;)

So, at least we've got the manufacturer chosen. Now it's a task of whittling down the available choices, until I can find one I can work with :)

16. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

17. jcombs

jcombs Loaded Pockets

18. Shike

Shike Loaded Pockets

19. RogerStenning

RogerStenning EDC Junkie

Thanks, but it's the shipping from the States that'll be hellish, I suspect :)

Shike likes this.
  20. Glock Block

Glock Block Loaded Pockets

Curious why you don't want a quartz movement that doesn't require batteries? I typically associate quartz movement with needing batteries but these don't. Curious why else you don't want a quartz movement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk