1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Looking for a watch under 200$

Discussion in 'Watches' started by nutellarain, Nov 14, 2013.

1. nutellarain

nutellarain Empty Pockets

I'm looking for my first decent watch.
    I want to to be able to work with everything, so not too flashy or big.

-Analog
    -metal wristband
    -I suppose steel, since gold plated is supposed to wear down very easily.
    -Mid-sized (My wrists arent that big)
    -Male
    -able to switch out to a nato style strap
    Any recommendations?
    Thanks!

2. mole

mole EDC Junkie!!!!!

look for timex

3. bleh

bleh Loaded Pockets

Do you want Quartz (battery powered) or a Mechanical Automatic? Are you more drawn to Diver style watches with rotating bezels, pilots styles, or dress/classy styled watches?

4. Cprrckwlf

Cprrckwlf Loaded Pockets

Seiko skx007 (or variant, there's a blue and red beveled one -- 009)
    [​IMG]

Or Seiko Monster in whatever color (the orange is a classic and my choice, but here is the black)
    [​IMG]

Pictures shamelessly cribbed from marketing shots.

Xiii, Kinzei and archimedes like this.
  5. nutellarain

nutellarain Empty Pockets

I dont really know about what I have a huge preference for, but I think that divers watches would be better for me, since I dont like things that are too complicated. I think quartz is probably better for this price range, because I have heard that most of the mechanical ones will not be very good.

6. BklynBoy

BklynBoy Loaded Pockets

Its hard to go wrong with Orient or Seiko. I have bought both brands from Skywatches in Singapore. I tried to post the link but it is not on the approved domain list. The most popular Orient dive watch, the Mako, can be had from Skywatch for $120.

Cprrckwlf likes this.
  7. bleh

bleh Loaded Pockets

You've heard wrong, there are some excellent and very durable mechanical diver's watches in that range. The Seikos mentioned above are fantastic. Orient makes some amazing watches for the money. Orient is owned by Seiko, but they make their own movements. Pop over to the affordables subforum on WatchUSeek and you'll see a plethora of affordable watches in that range.

ox71, archimedes and Cprrckwlf like this.
  8. Cprrckwlf

Cprrckwlf Loaded Pockets

This except the orient being owned by seiko bit. I said the same thing just the other day on WUS and got a very fast eduction. (Plus the Wikipedia entry for orient has the ownership wrong which doesn't help).

Those seikos are both auto-winding mechanicals (automatics). They use the same movement and are pretty robust, though the movement isn't the most complex out there.

The one thing that is true about quartz over mechanical is accuracy. An average quartz should gain or lose no more than about 15seconds per MONTH. A lower price mechanical 15 per DAY. This matters to some, not to others. I own more than a few watches and almost all of them are mechanical. I'm one of those who gets a visceral thrill from smooth second hands and knowing there is an exquisitely engineered analog machine, as opposed to a microchip and motor, sitting on my wrist.

9. archimedes

archimedes EDC Junkie!!!

You've already gotten excellent recommendations here ... I would probably suggest the Seiko SKX007 or Orient Blue Mako, if you prefer low-key styling.

The Seiko5 series is even less expensive and more understated yet, such as the SNZG13 field watch.

10. bleh

bleh Loaded Pockets

Interesting. So they're completely independent?

I'm certainly one of the mechanical crusaders, but I suppose that shouldn't be a surprise given I'm a Mechanical Engineer. If this is going to be your only watch that you'll wear all the time and quartz really doesn't matter to you, there's exactly zero reason to go with a mechanical watch. They (allegedly*) need to be serviced every 5 years. They're not as accurate. If you don't wear it all the time you have to wind and set it when you put it on your wrist. They're not as durable (**).

That said, if you can appreciate and be fascinated by the fact that there are a few dozen precision machined mechanical components all interacting to keep time on your wrist, then by all means, go mech! They're the best!

*I've heard of Seikos going decades without ever being opened for servicing. Quartz watches will need battery changes (unless you go with a kinetic (see below), which is kind of a best of both worlds thing), and you risk compromising the water-resistance every time the watch is opened up.

** before about the 80's, mechanical watches were all that existed. People lived life in them, played sports in them, won wars wearing them. They're surprisingly durable. But if you're going to be taking the watch off and throwing it against the wall, a Quartz is where it's at.

Seiko BFK:
    [​IMG]

11. BklynBoy

BklynBoy Loaded Pockets

+1 I have a Seiko that I got as a gift in 1971 and it still runs fine

mole likes this.
  12. tetsujin79

tetsujin79 Loaded Pockets

Seiko 5 Sports - www . wornandwound . com/2012/09/26/seiko-5-snzg-review/

I have this model. Just awesome. Keeps excellent time. Display back and you can NATO it out.

13. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets

As mentioned, the SKX 007 and Orient Mako are great choices, I wear both.

If you want a diver that looks a little bit dressier, then look at the Orient Ray. Its basically a Mako with a different dial and bezel.

This is my Orient Ray
    [​IMG]

Also the Seiko SNZG series is a great watch if you like the pilot/military style
    Its the one in the middle. There are blue, black, green and cream dialed versions. They are harder to find, but they do come on bracelets also. They have 22mm lugs (same as the SKX, Mako, and Ray) so there are tons of strap choices out there.
    [​IMG]

14. Cprrckwlf

Cprrckwlf Loaded Pockets

Not quite. There is a GIANT corporate group, Seiko Group with 3 giant (independent) subsidiaries: Seiko Holdings Corporation (normally called SEIKO), Seiko Instruments Inc. (normally called SII), and Seiko Epson Corporation (normally called EPSON) each with numerous small (independent) subsidiaries.

Seiko Holdings owns Seiko Watch Corporation.
    Seiko Epson Corporation owns Orient Watch Co. Ltd.

So both Orient and Seiko (Watch) are owned by Seikos and then by Seiko (Group), but Seiko (Watch) does not own Orient, which is the mistake I made and I'm fairly certain you were making.

Wiki is here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seiko_Group if you'd like to see some of the other companies under the companies (under the company).

OP, sorry for the slight hi-jack. To give you at least something usable in this post: I own more than a few watches and have both a Seiko 007 and Seiko Orange Monster in the watch box. If I had any more room in the thing I wouldn't hesitate to pick up an Orient Mako. All three models would show up on a list of the best values in watches.

Plus that blue Mako is really pretty.

15. sbakker
    • In Omnia Paratus

sbakker Loaded Pockets

Don't forget Citizen. There are many affordable and great looking Eco-Drives out there.

Pine Box Parkinson likes this.
  16. MedusaOblongata

MedusaOblongata Loaded Pockets

A watch under $200?
    If we dig around a little bit I think we'll find it:
    [​IMG]

17. bleh

bleh Loaded Pockets

Sine there's been so much talk of it but no pictures of the Mako:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

warchild, Kinzei and Cprrckwlf like this.
  18. Cprrckwlf

Cprrckwlf Loaded Pockets

Been trying not to look at them, it's only going to cost me money. Thanks for that.

19. bleh

bleh Loaded Pockets

:smile_coffee::giggle::throwbash:

20. Xiii
    • In Omnia Paratus

Xiii Loaded Pockets

i love Seiko and Timex. that Orient looks the goods . the TAGs i find are over priced good watch but over priced.
    Xiii