1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Looking for a travel bag, advice?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by 1967marti, Jan 13, 2020.

1. 1967marti

1967marti Loaded Pockets

Looking for a good quality travel bag. Must be a size that fits in the overhead bin (airplane), so something like 30l?

I like the looks of the TAD maridian and axis bags.... but no way in hell am I paying that kinda cash.

Since I will only be using this a few times a year, it doesn't need to be nuke-proof; but I would like to get something quality.

I'm leaning more towards a duffel bag style bag, but am not looking to just grab a small gym bag.

Any advice?

2. garza

garza Loaded Pockets

Checkout the Red Oxx boss.

3. Soulriot
    • Administrator
    • +1 Supporter
    • In Omnia Paratus

Soulriot EDCF Rule Enforcer
    Staff Member

4. echo victor

echo victor Previously "YankeeHotelFoxtrot"

I bought the GoRuck Kitbag a couple of years ago and have used it as my carry-on, on several flights. It has served me very well in that capacity. So well, in fact, that when my family bought a set of Away luggage this past Christmas, I deliberately did not purchase a carry-on since the GoRuck works so well. It's very tough, can take abuse and is easy to get stuff in and out. I just looked on the site and it's currently out of stock till late February. I did not buy the optional strap and used a Tom Bihn Absolute strap which I already had. If you can wait till late February, I'd go with the Kitbag. Perhaps you can find one used.

Good Luck!

5. NorthernHarrier
    • +1 Supporter

NorthernHarrier Loaded Pockets

I have a Big Agnes Big Joe 45L duffel, which is 21x13.75x8.75 inches packed. I highly recommend this bag. It’s lightweight, well made, and water-resistant.

Chrome Industries has a sale now on their Spectre duffel bag, for less than $100. It is roughly within spec for US airlines, especially if not packed completely full.

Last edited by NorthernHarrier, Jan 15, 2020
    #5 NorthernHarrier, Jan 14, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  6. FLbeachbum

FLbeachbum Loaded Pockets

I use my Alpha One Niner Evade 2.0 as my travel bag. It is exceptionally well made and organized. Fits under airline seats in all but the smallest planes so obviously fits in the overheads. It's not exactly cheap but not the most expensive either. Excellent value for the money. It's also not a duffel but I like having my hands free.

7. Locomoco

Locomoco Loaded Pockets

I love my V1 Grouck 15L Bullet. Built like a tank and can definitely stand the rigors of travel. My go to travel carry on when I go abroad (which is where I am right now in the Philippines btw)

BUT... having that one large compartment area can work against you like, say, fishing out your wires and Nintendo switch from the main compartment you have your overnight clothes stuffed in.

So what I’m using now is the X-Pak, by code of bell.

https://www.codeofbell.com/products/new-x-pak

https://www.carryology.com/sponsored/kickstarter-highlight-code-of-bell-x-pak-pro-and-x-pak-one/

There is a standard admin section, two vertical sleeves for tablets or paperwork, a padded cushion area for a 13" laptop, and the best part is there is an expandable section that adds an extra 7L capacity for clothes. So you can use it on the plane with an easy days worth of clothes, or 2 days if you pack smart, when you get to the destination, fold away the excess section and use as a daypack sling bag.

I went with the bullet about 3 mo. ago just to compare knowing I was going on another international trip later, and the X-Pak really is the better choice. Why bother rustling through your carefully packed clothes to get at something when the compartments and expandability complement each other. Check out the original youtube advert. (admittedly overly slick but a good demonstration of its features)

Last edited by Locomoco, Jan 15, 2020
    #7 Locomoco, Jan 15, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2020
  8. 1967marti

1967marti Loaded Pockets

I think I found it guys/girls...

Osprey Packs Trillium 45 Duffel Bag

9. Tallboyjim

Tallboyjim Loaded Pockets

Pacsafe if the osprey doesn’t work out.