1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Looking for a small-medium lightweight backpack for biking (EDC setup) cheap?

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by mikey, Jun 14, 2011.

1. mikey

mikey Banned

Hi everyone,

I need some help. I am trying to find a fairly small or medium size backpack with organizers and/or lots of pockets to setup an EDC pack for biking that is lightweight and durable. I dont know exact size that I want/need but dont want a huge BOB bag!

I want pockets to organize FAK, MT, Cresent wrench, pen type flash light, SAK, cell phone, etc. so I can keep the big opening for clothes, towel etc.

It would be great if it had a water bottle holder too.

Now the hard part....I dont have alot of cash so I need something that is fairly cheap as I cant afford 5.11, Maxpedition, or any other $100+ bags.

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

This is out of my area but I think there are backpacks designed specificly for bike riders. If not my guess that a running pack might be best.

3. defuse kit

defuse kit Loaded Pockets

Pick up a hydration pack. Small, usually has a good amount of space for someone on the go, and... oh right. It provides an easy means of carrying and drinking water. Go with Camelbak, Northface, or whoever strikes your fancy for the price.

4. cacibi

cacibi Empty Pockets

I have one of the Lulu Lemon Athletica backpacks. They're kind of hard to find, and particularly in decent colors but it's a great backpack that has a sunglass case/pocket, water bottle pocket and is hydration system compatible, with a clip on the right backpack strap for the feed tube. Also has an internal pouch for wet/sweaty clothes.

They are unisex so - don't be worried that they are listed on the women's section of the site.

5. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

Running packs are designed for the motion that takes place while running and to better than packs meant for walking assuming they are designed correctly. I would assume that biking has it's own unique motions.

It looks like there are packs made for biking. I would think it is even more important on a bike to have the pack pulled in tight to the body and not be very wide, wide would affect how quick a bike leans. Kind of like weight on the wings affects rate of roll on an airplane. I think you would want to make sure it has a belt on the pack for added stability.

6. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

7. calebklyne

calebklyne Loaded Pockets

Look into Dakine they make the best bike packs I've ever used

8. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

I think that one is not going to have the best weight distrubution for a bicycle, looks better for being on foot.

9. Omega Man
    • In Omnia Paratus

Omega Man Loaded Pockets

10. able_man
    • In Omnia Paratus

able_man Loaded Pockets

11. mikey

mikey Banned

I will check into that one. Thanks.

Most of the other bags that I see people are referring to are around $100, which is not in my price range at the moment (gotta sell some SAK's first).

I dont really want the water pack, just a place to hold a water bottle on the side or one on both sides for mine and the wifes bottles.

Keep the ideas coming. :)

12. mikey

mikey Banned

13. Omega Man
    • In Omnia Paratus

Omega Man Loaded Pockets

Yes, it has a main section closest to the straps that contains a reflective-lined pocket for a bladder or some cans/bottles. It fits a Nalgene size bottle fine, or 3-4 12oz. bottles. A second section has 4 elastic loops about 6" up from the bottom, with little 2-3" pockets under them. One pocket can fit a Romisen RC-G2 flashlight up to the bezel. Or you could put a long light like a C3 in a loop and stick the tail in a pocket below. There's a few clips, one on the front and one inside the 2nd pocket, that make it easy to hang open or closed.
    Then there's a side pocket on it's left that can hold wallet and keys. There is a big zipper running almost the circumference that you unzip to let out more room, like on some assault packs. And last it has a set of chest straps, and a waist/side straps that tuck in and hide away in velcro portions on the sides.
    It really is a great pack, I about pooped when I saw it and all the features, and I've used it for a camping day pack and going to the ballgame.

Adding some pics to help my rant:
    http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/7035/1010327.jpg
    http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/4564/1010333.jpg
    http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/6548/1010334t.jpg
    http://img695.imageshack.us/img695/7201/1010328n.jpg <--There are a set of sizeable velcro loops and non elastic reflective loops on each strap
    http://img849.imageshack.us/img849/907/1010329.jpg
    http://img546.imageshack.us/img546/3637/1010330.jpg
    http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/73/1010331q.jpg
    http://img193.imageshack.us/img193/883/1010332xf.jpg

14. mikey

mikey Banned

Thanks for posting the pics, they were a great help! I think I will try to find one of those packs as it looks perfect for what I need. Hopefully, the one on Ebay wont go too high! Of course, I dont have any idea what they cost new?

15. dwong

dwong Loaded Pockets

For biking, a narrow profile is ideal...
    such as the osprey series been suggested already.
    osprey is super light weight, which is perfect if you can find it at a decent price.

I use the Camelbak Hawg(got it on sale at REI for 40bucks), works fine so far.

16. mikey

mikey Banned

I checked out the osprey but cant seem to find at a decent price and current price is out of consideration.

The Hawg isnt currently priced much lower than the osprey either so that too is out of consideration.

I do write down some of these packs and will do a search every day to see if anything goes on sale or have any listed on Ebay so thanks to all for the recommendations!

17. cacibi

cacibi Empty Pockets

Has chest and waist straps...just as secure as my Ortlieb messenger bag. There's also a larger version out now with rain cover that folds into a pocket on the bag.

18. senfinger

senfinger Loaded Pockets

Check out Kriega the smaller one... Also, REI has tons of biking packs... w/wo hydro.

19. Paperclip

Paperclip Loaded Pockets

20. Vic303

Vic303 Loaded Pockets

Go to www.sunnysports.com and shop last years models of hydration pack or other pack. Great prices, authentic product, and fast free shipping if you order over $50.