1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Looking for a small EDC cleaver-type fixed blade

Discussion in 'Knives' started by DpM, Oct 6, 2008.

1. DpM

DpM Loaded Pockets

Hello all. I've been in the market for a small cleaver type fixed blade. The smaller the better. Any great recemendations? :shrug:

requirements:
    -under 5" (i can make exceptions)
    - preferably kydex sheath
    -OK steel choice (S30V is my favorite)
    -under $150

best i have found so far is the old Micro Cleaver from Mr. Atwood.... too bad those are long gone

2. gadgetjack

gadgetjack Loaded Pockets

Well, it is kinda like a cleaver, a razel. I have a custom Stubby Pocket Razel from the Graham Brothers and I love it, its wicked sharp and stays that way for a long time. Several people have described it to me as a small cleaver.
    Good luck on your search I am interested to see what you find!

3. jujigatame

jujigatame Loaded Pockets

Mark Terrell made little cleaver neck knives in 2-finger and 3-finger sizes. Click here for info at his site. I don't think he takes orders at this time and I don't see them often on the secondary market at the forums I frequent. Don't think you'd get it under $150 either unless it was used.

Other than him no one else comes to mind for making that particular style/size combo.

The Razel gadgetjack mentioned is probably the next best thing. At one time they made a midtech version that went for under $150 but not sure if they still do them.

4. hawkeye

hawkeye Loaded Pockets

The CRKT version of the Stubby Razel is an excellent user, and only about $50. I love mine.

5. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

as do i, although the middle size CRKT razel "chops" better

6. phatch

phatch Loaded Pockets

Take a look at AG Russell's Hocho. It's a folder but quite nice in ATS34.

7. cpodbob

cpodbob Empty Pockets

8. DpM

DpM Loaded Pockets

Hello,
    thanks for all the feedback guys! :)

The 2-finger-cleaver is definitely my favorite but appears to be a little pricey and hard to find. Also, the folding A.G. Russel is more of a food preparation knife and not a user. So it looks like my next best choice is the Stubby Razel. However, i am wondering if the steel on the CRKT version will hold a good edge :shrug:
    and if someone could please help me navigate the Graham Brothers site so i can find some prices, it would be much appreciated :brickwall:

-Daniel

9. itsrob

itsrob Empty Pockets

Doesn't look like anything is currently available: http://www.grahamknives.com/knives_available.htm

10. Klesk

Klesk Empty Pockets

Chiro75 made a knife called the Tactical Orange Peeler that would probably fit your requirements exactly. Unfortunately, I don't think he's making knives at the moment, you might check to see if he's still active on BF. I know where to find him and I do want a knife, but I haven't gotten around to asking him if he's still making any.

Sorry, I guess that's not so helpful, but it might give you some ideas if you have to end up going the custom route. I was also going to mention Mark Terrel's Cleaver, but someone already beat me to it.

11. hawkeye

hawkeye Loaded Pockets

Well, it is "9Cr18MoV (similar to 440C)" so it is decent. I have no complaints about mine taking or holding an edge. I am just about to buy the big boy (SS7) to go with it. :)

They almost always have the CRKT versions - http://www.grahamknives.com/crkt_knives.htm

12. mkphc

mkphc Loaded Pockets

how about a BRKT tusk?

13. molawns

molawns Loaded Pockets

Send RockFarm a private message...he makes custom "pocket choppers"...exceptional quality, reasonable price.
    http://edcforums.com/index.php?action=profile;u=7556

14. slw

slw Empty Pockets

Here's another suggestion, although, may be a little out of the price range.

John Gage Knives

15. Pesky_Human

Pesky_Human Loaded Pockets

Whoa! Awesome design!!! WANT.

[​IMG]

©

16. DpM

DpM Loaded Pockets

Again, thank you all very much for the awesome suggestions!! I am still leaning towards the CRKT version of the Stubby Razel. Seems like a great beater, and if anything were to happen to it, i would not be as disappointed if it were in the $100 range. Although...the John Gage VX-2 seems wicked cool :cool:.

If anybody still has a different suggestion, i would be more than happy to hear from you.

-Daniel

Oh and Klesk if you read this, could you please post a picture of the Tactical Orange Peeler (or anybody else who has a picture). Wouldn't want to bother Chiro75 if i didn't like the knife.

17. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

just letting you know, the Stubby Razel is a thick heavy tiny blad, perfect for beating on, the sheath is designed to be clipped into a right hand pocket, but works quite well clipped to a belt for a left handed draw
    Im within arms reach of one of these three for most of my day
    [​IMG]

18. Klesk

Klesk Empty Pockets

If you do a Google image search for "chiro75", at least one pic of the TOP will pop up, it looks like a tiny cleaver. Chiro75's site is gone, so I don't know how much longer Google will find the pic - I guess that should have been a sign for me that he wasn't making knives anymore. I searched for posts by Chiro75 on BF and he's still around but he has sold all his shop equipment to concentrate on "real" life.

Sorry again for suggesting a knife that you can't currently obtain from the maker - it's just that your post came up at the same time that I was thinking about tracking down a Tactical Orange Peeler or Terrell Cleaver and I posted without checking if I could actually get one.

19. DpM

DpM Loaded Pockets

Not a big deal at all. But hey, that Tactical Orange Peeler looks like a pretty great knife! O0
    Anyways, keep the suggestions coming!!!!!!!!!

And which one would you get: Stubby Razel or Ringed Razel? :help:
    (CRKT versions) details would be terrific

-Daniel

20. echo63

echo63 Loaded Pockets

i got both (they r mine up above) - typical CPF member logic

i carry the ringed razel around home, and the Stubby when i am out of the house, its personal choice really, but i would reccomend the stubby for EDC