1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Looking for a small backpack

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by jcw122, Jun 30, 2010.

1. jcw122

jcw122 Loaded Pockets

Hi everyone,

I'm a bit of a lurker here, and so far my lurking hasn't helped me find a backpack that fits my needs, so I'm posting. I am looking for a backpack that is small. By small I mean something similar in capacity to the Maxped Sitka or Malaga yet is NOT a shoulder pack. I like what I've seen from both of those packs, but a shoulder pack just isn't for me.

My main goal is mobility. This is why I don't want a shoulderpack, because I want the balance of a backpack. Nevertheless, I'd like something that isn't TOO small that will restrict my ability to expand the contents of the pack.

Any ideas or suggestions would be great, as I'm pretty foreign to this end of the backpack market. Thanks!

2. Heavy_Hog

Heavy_Hog Loaded Pockets

If you are looking and Maxpedition you might want to look into the Pygmy Falcon II. Just from looking at it online it looks to be just a few inches longer than the Malaga.

Good luck in your quest!

3. Rquagliata

Rquagliata Loaded Pockets

4. John I

John I Empty Pockets

JCW122

I switched from a Malaga to a 5.11 Rush 12. It's comparable in size to the Pygmy Falcon II (about 500 c.i. larger then the Malaga) and is well organized. Not as pricey as E&E or TADGear. Only real downside is the choice in colors.....black. I've lugged it everywhere, everyday for the last 3 months and no problems yet.

Good Luck!

5. NInjaSMS

NInjaSMS Empty Pockets

I second the Pygmy Falcon II. I really like the water bottle holders and fairly slim profile.

6. Terryboyle

Terryboyle Banned

You can take a look at the Excursion backpack from Briggs & Riley’s new BRX collection. It’s a more than a daypack and less than a rucksack. The backpack’s great for carrying everyday stuff including a laptop, water bottle, and a light jacket.

7. bltkmt

bltkmt Loaded Pockets

8. dave90

dave90 Loaded Pockets

The falcon II can be just as slim though but with more room for expansion if you ever need it. It just seems like a much more versatile bag for not much more cash. Shame it doesn't have bottle holders though...

9. J4C3

J4C3 Guest

i love my rush 12 and id give it ten out of ten but if you fancy something a bit off the wall try an aklpkit stealthy gourdon

10. Lafferjc

Lafferjc Loaded Pockets

If you can find one and have the funds, I suggest a TAD Gear FAST Pack LITE Speed. I've got a friend who has one and he and I both think its a fantastic, super lite bag.. I personally have a TAD V4 EDC and PS V2 and they are some of the finest pieces of gear I've had the pleasure to experience.
    Good luck in your hunt,
    Justin

11. ironmike86

ironmike86 Loaded Pockets

IMO EE is the best small pack

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Tyson127

Tyson127 Loaded Pockets

I am going to be posting a video review of the 5.11 Rush 12 on my site fairly soon.

For now, it's about the same size as a Maxped pf2, but I still like the sitka - see review on site.

13. jcw122

jcw122 Loaded Pockets

Thanks for all the replies everyone. Right now, I think I'm leaning towards the Maxped Pygmy Falcon II. I completely overlooked it on Maxped's site, but I like the design, and the fact that it is a decent size yet doesn't look big. Having a bit of extra space over something like the E&E could be useful.

Lafferjc, I checked out the TAD Gear Fast packs....WAY too expensive for me. I don't have much funds to put into a backpack, and my purposes don't warrant major spending anyway. Thanks anyway.

The E&E might be a bit too small and too minimalist for me, but thanks for the pics IronMike...I might take a second look.

Didn't care for the Briggs & Riley and Tom Bihn packs either but thanks for the suggestions.

The 5.11 RUSH 12 looked interesting, but I'm having trouble finding many pictures to get a better idea of how it compares with the Pygmy Falcon II...I'd love to see a video Tyson, doesn't look like there are any on Youtube yet.

14. dovk0802

dovk0802 Loaded Pockets

For my smaller than 3day assault pack size packs I use the larger Camelback's I have one in tactical version, & one that doesn't look stupid... which doesn't help the wearer in my case.

15. ironmike86

ironmike86 Loaded Pockets

You were asking about Malaga size pack. Which is alot smaller than the EE. But the Pygmy is a decent pack. My EE has more room with the added pockets but co$t more than twice as much. I like it alot better than the Pygmy. The Pygmy is a good pack and you can find good deals

16. Viper715

Viper715 Loaded Pockets

You said you couldn't find any pictures comparing the PF2 and Rush 12. Well here some are. I robbed them from a thread in the bags section here is the link. I have had the PF2 and it didn't suit me. I have a Rush 12 on order from LA Police Gear but they are out of stock and it is back ordered.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. Aquilon

Aquilon Loaded Pockets

I have a Pygmy Falcon II, and you can't go wrong with that. However - I recently picked up something called a Wise Walker CB-01. It's a compact backpack, probably similar to the PFII in capacity, if not a little smaller, but it's very well organized and avoids the tacti-cool look of Maxped and others. I went with the blue, but it also comes in black and light gray. I like it enough that's it's replaced my PFII and/or Fatboy as my ECC pack.

Full review here:
    http://www.penaddict.com/2010/04/review-nomadic-cb01-wisewalker-day-pack.html

Available here in the US:
    http://www.jetpens.com/index.php/cPath/159_979

18. jcw122

jcw122 Loaded Pockets

Yeah, I was asking about a much smaller size, but I think I've changed my ideas about the size I want. Now I'm thinking I still want a relatively small pack (something near the E&E or Pygmy Falcon II) but have extra storage capacity compared to something like the Malaga.

I just noticed the price difference in the E&E also...and the fact that their website says "Product is made to order, could take 6-8 weeks"....that's a bit long, even if the reason is sensible.

19. Blades

Blades Loaded Pockets

I think my E&E took 2 1/2 - 3 weeks. It did not take 6 weeks. Maybe cause it is small it was quicker. :)
    If you can find one the ATS Cobra is a good size, and so is the HSGI Moose v2. The Moose v2 is available now.