1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Looking for a "slim" fitting tactical/hiking pant

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by Goliath, Mar 5, 2015.

1. Goliath

Goliath Loaded Pockets

Hi!

I'm looking for a slimmer fitting tactical/hiking pant. I find most brands too loose around the legs. For example, I bought the 5.11 Taclite Pro pants but returned them for that exact reason.

I don't mean skin tight, but, let's say, Levi's 501 tight.

Any suggestions? Don't really have any other wishes, but polycotton blend would be nice.

2. Barchack

Barchack Loaded Pockets

I keep seeing the TacLite jean cut pants from 5.11. A lot of guys like them and they are slim cut IMO.
    Def not my cup of tea.

3. Goliath

Goliath Loaded Pockets

Any experience with the Stryke? Should be slimmer than the Taclite Pro, according to one YouTube comparison vid.

4. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

TAD Recon AC's Lightweight fabric. Athletic fit.

He1ixx, UsubM and Goliath like this.
  5. MKram

MKram Loaded Pockets

Goliath, you'll want something like a 'Triangle' gusset in the nether area to be a key feature of your pants. if you want a snug leg, you'll thank me for a little more room next time you move beyond a normal stride, climbing, stretching or squatting.

6. meds081603
    • GITD Manix 2XL Owner

meds081603 Loaded Pockets

Imo 5.11 taclites or proppers. Both great lightweight multipurpose tactical pants.

7. UsubM

UsubM Loaded Pockets

This. And the TAD Covert RS pants.

Bamajay73 and He1ixx like this.
  8. Goliath

Goliath Loaded Pockets

MKram,
    Cheers I'll look into that!

meds081603,
    Thanks! I tried the 5.11 Taclite pro's, but disliked them. The pants were rubbing together on the inside of my thighs, which I find incredibly annoying (and noisy).

UsubM, Mudinyeri,
    Looks good. Fine price tag as well. They're hard to come by though. Especially in Europe :( Are the Covert and Recon the same fit?

9. Mudinyeri

Mudinyeri Loaded Pockets

Didn't realize you were in Europe.

I don't own a pair of the Covert pants. Of the TAD pants that I own the Recon AC's are the slimmest fitting.

10. Goliath

Goliath Loaded Pockets

No worries! I noticed TAD has some European resellers. None of them have either the Recon AC or Covert RS in stock though.

Mudinyeri likes this.
  11. babola

babola Loaded Pockets

If you're based in Europe, do check Helikon's UTP pants. They sport tighter/slimmer fit compared to other field/battle/combat uniforms and are the pants to boot, very high quality both in material and manufacture with definitely more of a tactical low-profile look than field-pants-cargo look.

They're not exactly cheap, but with these you get what you paid for. Big thumbs up. :)

12. Goliath

Goliath Loaded Pockets

Thanks babola! Haven't decided on anything yet. Sigh ;)

13. babola

babola Loaded Pockets

There would be few more Euro brands like the ones from Russia and many more from Poland. You also have Pentagon from Greece for example, but their pants sport some quirky designs and decorative elements I personally don't really dig.

State-side you have aforementioned 5.11, MSM and TAD to name the few, all with pros and cons.
    5.11 pants material always left me longing for better, TAD is priced at the $$$ side of the scale.

MSM had been hit and miss for me few years back, some of their pants were great some not so much, some over the top with cargo detailing, but you're still expected to dish out high dollar for any of them.

Two more quality makers that spring to mind are Vertx and Crye Precision (inventor of the current MultiCam/Scorpion camo pattern widely used by troops of many different armies deployed in Afganistan).These are top quality but then again a little pricey (especially Crye Precision) and the look could be a little over-the-top for what you're after.

I'd also steer away from the budget brands like Rothco, Condor etc when it comes to pants. All of the pants I sourced from those two have ended up being a disappointment.

So, after years of searching and 'personal discovering' when it comes to field/cargo/tac pants I finally zeroed in on Helikon-Tex. Yes, like many others they're not perfect, sure, but for the price/quality/range ratio they're head above the rest IMO. If you're keen on tactical more than field pants, IWA show 2015 newly introduced stretch-fabric OTP pants, or a well known UTP in either poly/cotton or canvas would be my choice ;)

Last edited by babola, Mar 20, 2015
  14. mikeylab

mikeylab Loaded Pockets

try Outlier climber pants. tech material and craftsmanship, but not tech looking.

15. Goliath

Goliath Loaded Pockets

Thanks so much for the thorough reply! I'll check out some brands you mentioned.

Do you happen to wear 32/32 (or, for the Helikon Tex Medium/Regular)?

mikeylab,
    I'll check those out too; thanks!

16. babola

babola Loaded Pockets

Yes, if you wear 32/32 you will fall under Medium (waist) / Regular (inseam) in Helikon's pants sizes.

Their listed sizing is a little off, the size tables they provide can be pretty much ignored.
    Helikon's pants wear smaller in waist than listed, guys who are at or close to sizing range border should always go for a size larger.

As an example, I wear true 34" waist but have to go for Helikon's 'Large' which supposedly fits 35-38" waist.

As a rule of thumb I found Helikon pants about 1.5" - 2" smaller in reality from listed waist sizes.

Hope this helps.

Goliath likes this.
  17. Jwindh1

Jwindh1 Loaded Pockets

Topo gear camp pants

18. babola

babola Loaded Pockets

Please don't get me wrong Jwindth1 but I could almost put on a pair of Gap khakis and call them a camping pants. There won't be much of a difference, and for less than 1/2 price of Topo camp pants.

Last edited by babola, Mar 22, 2015
  19. luciowheel

luciowheel Loaded Pockets

Check out fjallraven. Their stuff is really slim/athletic cut

20. holygoat

holygoat Loaded Pockets

Yup, Fjällräven Vidda Pro.