1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Looking For A Replacement For My 5.11 ATAC PLx

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Small Shiny Objects, Apr 19, 2014.

1. Small Shiny Objects

Small Shiny Objects Loaded Pockets

My 5.11 ATAC PLx LED flashlight is a good light, but I'd like to replace it with a something better. My main complaint with this light is the the knurled tail cap chewed up my last cell phone pretty good, so I stopped carrying this light when I got my new phone a few months ago.

The features about the PLx I like are:
    > LED
    > AAA Batteries for slim profile
    > Sturdy aluminum body
    > Body is kind of square, so it will not roll away
    > Tail cap switch is both click on and momentary on
    > Sturdy pocket clip, which orients the flashlight lens down in pocket

In addition to retaining the above features, I'm looking for a light with the as many of the additional features below as possible:
    > Deeper pocket carry, so the tail cap will not protrude from pocket and cause damage to phone carried above and it will also make carrying the light more discreet
    > Dual output
    > Strobe
    > Crenulated bezel

I will consider a light which uses AA batteries.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited by Small Shiny Objects, Apr 19, 2014
  2. kbuzbee

kbuzbee Loaded Pockets

Maybe a Preon? Lots of options in that family including various materials, colors, LEDs and clips.

That 5.11 looks like a nice light to me, but I understand your issue.

Ken

3. Small Shiny Objects

Small Shiny Objects Loaded Pockets

I'm both resurrecting and updating this old post.

I ended up with a Pelican 1920 flashlight, which has served my needs pretty well. Unfortunately, I seem to have lost it three days ago and since I've been unable to find it I have to buy something new.

My biggest complaint with the 1920 is having it accidentally turning on while in my pocket. This is a result of my cell phone holster being worn directly above my left front pocket where I carry my flashlight and I'm not willing to change that carry configuration. Just as the original 5.11 light I complained about in my original post was hitting my phone holster, the 1920 hits it too, but instead of chewing up the holster and phone like the 5.11, it just turns on without my knowledge.

I've looked through all the major light manufacturers websites and I'm not coming up with something to satisfy my current minimum wishlist of features below:

(2) AAA batteries
    Deep pockets carry clip (robust permanent clip, not one that can easily slip off)
    Clicky tailcap, which is difficult to accidentally activate

This doesn't seem like it should be difficult to find in a light, but I'm coming up empty.

Any help would be appreciated.

4. Dog Off Leash

Dog Off Leash Loaded Pockets

I have been very happy with my 4sevens Preon 2 (the newest model). I received it as a Christmas gift last year, and I carry it every day beneath the first button on my work polo shirts. Very bright for such a small light (pen light). Construction is robust, finish is excellent, and despite carrying it every day I don't see any noticeable wear.

5. Blitzwing
    • In Omnia Paratus

Blitzwing Loaded Pockets

My Nitecore pen light has been working fine for me with no regrets.. Permanent clip.. Nice clicky

6. ramjet

ramjet Loaded Pockets

Thats what I was just going to say. Nitecore or Olight. You might like the side-clicky feature instead of the tail cap clicker.