1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Looking for a quality flashlight...

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by 1967marti, Oct 27, 2018.

1. david57strat

david57strat EDC Junkie!!!

Agreed. Solarforce L2 series hosts can accommodate a huge variety of P60 drop-ins, and are very cost-effective, in addition to being surprisingly well-built, for the price. They're modular, so parts can be easily interchanged between many of the L2 series hosts, and parts are easily replaced, if necessary (though I've never needed to, thus far).

[​IMG]

This is a favorite of mine:

[​IMG]
    It's kind of a Frankenstein light. Surefire 6P body (bored for a 18550 battery), from Oveready; Solarforce A001 head with B6 stainless bezel, and S12 stainless switch. It's loaded with a 2-mode Sportac Nichia 219B neutral triple emitter. Beautiful tint, and nice, even flood of light.

[​IMG]

Another poster mentioned Malkoff. I have one of their drop-ins, and love it. They're built like tanks - very reliable, with fully-potted electronics.

[​IMG]
    Malkoff M361 3-mode. 450 lumens, on max (?). Great combination spot/spill beam.

twin63 likes this.
  2. david57strat

Convoy make a really nice light for the money. I tend to prefer neutral to warmer tints, and they have a large selection of power options, as well as tints. You no longer have to settle for a blue-ish light any longer. LEDs come in a huge variety of configurations, and are extremely efficient (much longer run times than their incandescent bulb predecessors).

[​IMG]

#22 david57strat, Nov 4, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    twin63 likes this.
  3. david57strat

It's hard not to like a Fenix.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Top: TK15 - This one has more of a concentrated spot on it (better range than the TK22), but with a generous spill beam.
    Bottom : TK22 (a more floody light).

Extremely reliable. Dead simple. The side switch sets the output. The light goes back to whatever setting you chose previously.

I've had both of mine since 2013. No issues, whatsoever, with either one.

#23 david57strat, Nov 4, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
    dml24, Elmiro Dungfoot and twin63 like this.
  4. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

I'm of the same mindset...it's not a petty reason at all. I have several Surefire 6P's and a couple of C2's - all with Malkoff drop-ins. My EDC lights are older 4Sevens/Foursevens models that I've carried for almost 10 years. I'm very comfortable with the UI, use the moonlight modes a ton, and trust them as far as reliability. But when I need something simple and "bombproof", I grab one of the Surefires. They are not the most efficient lights when compared to the newer offerings, but I'm willing to sacrifice some added features for "on/off" in certain situations.

Glad you found a solution. Let us know how it works out for you.

david57strat and ZMZ67 like this.
  5. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I'm with you wrt simplicity of controls on the lites.. I've tried a couple of lights now that have not just a sequence of effects but an ability to customize what light intensity comes up at what point in sequence... all I can say for myself is BAH! When I grab a light I just want to click and see illumination!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

6. turbo6

turbo6 Loaded Pockets

The Wowtac line up is usually my knee jerk recommendation for a simple, affordable light. However, a lot of companies are following the trend of these "all in one" battery included packages at a reasonable price...Thorfire, Sofirn and I think UltraTac as well.

Although I do think Wowtac is probably still the best in terms of value and performance.

7. david57strat

We were glad to have been of some help. Enjoy your new purchases, and please feel free to comment on them, after you’ve had a chance to put them through their paces :).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Elmiro Dungfoot

Elmiro Dungfoot Loaded Pockets

Hard to go wrong with Fenix, nobody has just one!

[​IMG]

david57strat likes this.
  9. david57strat

Agreed. They make such a wide assortment of lights, for different applications and needs.

Elmiro Dungfoot likes this.
  10. Wishoot

Wishoot Loaded Pockets

Amen to that!

Any flashlights of mine that has more than two illumination settings has been relegated to the back of the junk drawer.

Moshe ben David likes this.