1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Looking for a pocket tool....kinda.....

Discussion in 'MultiTools and Other Pocket Tools' started by Echo2, Aug 20, 2013.

1. Echo2

Echo2 Loaded Pockets

similar to this....

http://www.shomer-tec.com/product/access-card-1522.cfm

or this...

http://the-boxman.com/2012/11/24/boxman-limited-edition-lock-pick-business-cards/comment-page-1/

maybe this....

http://www.dhgate.com/store/product/credit-card-lock-pick-set-james-bond-locksmith/137737091.html

perhaps this....

http://www.survivalcorner.com/bogota-entry-cards-stainless-credit-card-lock-picks/

Anyone ever use any of these?

I can use picks on basic 5 pin Masters and it's clones....nowhere near proficient as I'd like to be...but hey...who is?

looking for durable....don't want it falling apart til I want it to come apart.

Any suggestions?

2. Ibrahim Sarp Dogan

Ibrahim Sarp Dogan Loaded Pockets

have you ever lockpicked a lock ?

3. Cobra 6 Actual

Cobra 6 Actual Loaded Pockets

I've used the Shomer-Tec one before. But, if you want it to definitely remain in one piece I had a lucite plastic case for an ID card that I carried it in. Mine was clear, but looked a lot like these:

[​IMG]

CitizenSnips likes this.
  4. PaBushcrafter4659

PaBushcrafter4659 Loaded Pockets

I'm not sure of your experience level...but either way my answer stays the same...

Go with the bogatas....Here's a shot of my small credit card sized set that I keep in my condor pouch. I can get into anything with these given a few minutes. Its obviously tougher because of the length of the tool. The leverage just isn't there. But I put some grips on them to make them a little more comfortable in the hand, as well as duct tape engineering a small pouch to throw them in.

Can you tell the short hook is my favorite? :)

[​IMG]

angusW likes this.
  5. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

This might be another option.... with the caveats noted in the video.

If you want to go thicker/more durable/more expensive, this might be an option:
    Houdini Lock Pick Set

ATB,
    Sam

Last edited by indigo_wolf, Aug 26, 2013
    Cobra 6 Actual likes this.
  6. PaBushcrafter4659

Funny enough, that video review is the exact same set I posted above :p

7. indigo_wolf

indigo_wolf AKA Breezy

Couldn't tell from the camo-tape (?) :unsure: Besides.... never pass up the opportunity to post a product review. :D

ATB,
    Sam

8. 11C1P
    • In Omnia Paratus

11C1P Loaded Pockets

I've got some, not in a card like that, made from old bandsaw blades. I just put them in a little pouch and they don't take up much space. My old man is really good with them, me not so much. My kid is taking after his grampa though.

9. PaBushcrafter4659

Yessir! After I applied grips to mine they were so much easier to use. Those things can cut ya good! But anyway, the grips hindered the whole credit card thing, so I made a good ol' duct tape pouch :)

10. andrewbisgnar

andrewbisgnar Loaded Pockets

I'm pretty into lockpicking...and just at a quick glance, none of those sets really some with anything that ultra-useful. Unless you've been at it for a long while I suppose. I think it was the second set that came with a half-diamon or deforest diamond. But....yeah....seems pretty pricey for nothing. Get some SouthOrd or Sparrows picks, trim them at the end, and you're good to go.

-Andrew

pacrawshaw likes this.
  11. PaBushcrafter4659

I haven't been picking for too long at all...and I've managed to get everything I've tried to open with the short hook, and by raking with the others. The set I bought was like $5.99 +4.99 shipping on BUDK. I just wanted something to start out on. The tension wrench isn't the best though. But it works. So as far as value...I think they're worth every penny to get the job done as a hobby.

That being said, its cheaper to throw together a GOOD 3 piece set with individual picks on southord if you want something basic. 3 Solid pieces and a good tension wrench will run around $15 with shipping.

12. andrewbisgnar

andrewbisgnar Loaded Pockets

Precisely.

13. figuy

figuy Loaded Pockets

So which 3 tools would that be? I see there are 4 different rakes and two sizes of most other tools.

14. PaBushcrafter4659

Everyone's different. But my personal preference from SouthOrd would be this.

Dual sided tension wrench.
    Dual sided pick. ("W" pick on one side, and short hook on the other)
    Diamond/Ball combo pick.

With shipping. That should be around $6. Honestly anyone can spare $6 on a real good three piece set. I can open most anything with just those 3 right there. No need to go buy an extremely expensive set, I mean if you want titanium...sure go do that...they're tough and will never let you down. But for a beginner, or even an intermediate locksport fan....that $6 setup right there will get you miles down the road.

15. figuy

figuy Loaded Pockets

So the standard picks are pretty sturdy? I was originally looking at the ones that are $4.29 each. I'm hesitant on spending $20 on something I just wanted to try, but don't want to buy throw away items either.

16. Echo2

Echo2 Loaded Pockets

Thanks for the replies...I already have a bunch of picks that I have made from various blades and such....and more tension wrenches than I'll ever use. Here in the wonderful state of Va....I cant carry picks on my person....So I settled on these....

[​IMG]

They are not considered picks until they are separated....these have thicker supports and are considered a "novelty".....however they work....once I trim with a multi-tool...:)

Xiii, TarHeelBrit and SAKplumber like this.
  17. 11C1P
    • In Omnia Paratus

11C1P Loaded Pockets

^---Not that you'd ever do that right? ;)

Echo2 likes this.
  18. Echo2

Echo2 Loaded Pockets

I have practiced quite a bit...and can usually pop a std master 5pin lock....I'm not looking to get into B&E....Just a handy skill to know. These are a bit awkward because of the size.....but they do work....:)...I think it's silly I cant carry them.

I do generally keep a set in the toolbox....because I...ahem....kinda work for a garage....that offers a lock out service.

19. trickcarey

trickcarey EDC Junkie!!!!!

Where'd you get those?! I'd love one of those to carry just to make sure I'll always have it on me!

20. trickcarey

trickcarey EDC Junkie!!!!!

WHere'd you get this?! I want one!