1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Looking for a penlight recommendation

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Kardolf, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Kardolf

Kardolf Loaded Pockets

A friend told me today that he was looking for a bright penlight that he could hold in his teeth, and I quickly thought 4Sevens Preon 2. Then he said he want's an wide/narrow adjustment option, and I went blank. So, I'm hoping one of you fine people can assist me in the quest to find the perfect light! I'm thinking that a lumen level of about 100-180 is going to be about right for him, and would like to stay with the AA/AAA batteries for ease of use.

Any ideas?

2. shmook

shmook Loaded Pockets

Led lenses make one with a flood-spot beam, the p4bm.

Only 18 lumens though apparently...

3. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

47s new current regulated Preon Penlight (not to be confused with the Preon 2). Forget the adjustable beam... that stuff comes on cheap hardware store lights and compromises waterproofness and build quality.

pacrawshaw and Kripto like this.
  4. Analog.Upload

Analog.Upload Loaded Pockets

I will only speak to lights I have ... that said I have had a Streamlight Microstream for the last several months and love it, use it for everything when it is light it is bright enough when it is dark it is not too bright. oh, and tiny.

5. Bootroots

Bootroots Loaded Pockets

When I bought my Streamlight Stylus Pro the guy at the store was telling me about the TerraLux aaa penlight. One of the selling features was a rubber "bite" grip so you can hold it in your teeth.

Having held the Stylus in my teeth I can say it would be a nice feature if I found myself doing this often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6. Shur
    • In Omnia Paratus

Shur Loaded Pockets

A few layers of electrical tape will make a light a lot more comfortable for your teeth.

CNeal and pacrawshaw like this.
  7. medicevans

medicevans Loaded Pockets

This.

I love my microstream. Just the right amount of everything. Size, light, throw, flood. The clip is great, it has an additional fold on it that lets the user clip it to a hat. It doesn't work perfectly, but it's nice in a pinch. However, the light is great. I carry a large 18650 light on duty (paramedic) but I carry the ms as a backup and my main light off duty. Throw an energizer advanced lithium in it from Wal-Mart and it lasts forever.

It only has one brightness level, but it is just right for about everything. Not too bright for stuff up close, and throws much farther than a little light has a right to. A super low might be nice occasionally for stuff like checking on the babies at night, but honestly, I just hold my hand over the head and it works fine for the few times I do that.

I use it held in my mouth A LOT. I'll have to try a couple rounds of electrical tape. That's a good idea.

I've literally used it more than ten times in the past 36 hours. Wonderful light, and less than $20 too.

8. Kardolf

Kardolf Loaded Pockets

I would agree. I have a few lights with zoom, and really don't like or use them. They can sit in a backup location just fine, but not what I count on daily. It doesn't seem to be an option on penlights as a general rule anyway.

But, why Preon Penlight, not the Preon 2?

9. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

The only 2-AAA flashlight with the requisite "penlight" dimensions that may apply to the "wide/narrow adjustment option" is the 80-lumen Maglite 2-AAA Mini-Maglite. Freshly-upgraded with a LED light source, it's output is now 80 lumens according to the maker.

Add 8-10 rubber o-rings near the lanyard attach point to curtail splintering of the incisors while using a mandibular grip.

tmedina and HoboCoastie like this.
  10. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

Build is higher and it's stealth - really looks like a pen. Perfect for shirt pocket carry, but the clicky can be accidental activate quite easily making it unsuitable for pants pocket or bottom of bag carry, unless it's locked out by unscrewing a 1/4 turn (but I don't like doing that).

The biggest reason, though, is the current regulated vs PWM drivers. I'm a big fan of all the 47s current regulated lights, but I do not like their PWM drivers (which I believe are shared between the Preon and Mini series) which I find are inefficient. I randomly test my lights with a light meter and stopwatch, and coincidentally have just finished another round of tests in the 3-5 lumen range. My current regulated Penlight, Quark AAs, and several other models/brands are basically doubling the efficiency of my PWM Mini AA (on a lumen-hours basis) with the same watt-hrs of battery energy (1600mah AA Eneloop vs 2x 800 mah AAA Eneloops). I can also see even high frequency PWM, and it bugs me a bit.

11. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

What function do you test with a light meter and stopwatch? Why is that important to you?

12. medicevans

medicevans Loaded Pockets

I have another suggestion after getting a new light last night. I picked up the Maglite AAA LED. About $16 at local hardware stores. The package says 87 lumens, and it is very nice. Good fit and finish. Typical Maglite construction. I did have to slightly stretch the tail spring, but it worked perfectly after that. I have been using it for a few projects stood the house and it's very nice. The larger head makes it have a very nice pattern. Focusable, just like all Maglites. The hot spot is a bit yellow, but only noticeable when trained on a pure white surface. Otherwise, it looks good.

------------- ------------- ----------
    I did want to comment on your assumption of appropriate lumen level. If he is holding the light in his mouth, I assume he is working close up. My microstream is just the right level for that. The Maglite is a bit too bright for up close work, especially against a light colored surface, like a yellow or white painted wall. I tried to peer into a half inch hole in a yellow painted wall and the side spill of the Maglite was very bright for comfort. Stream light was perfect. 150 lumens is going to be WAY too bright, unless it's the upper mode of a multi mode light.

13. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

+1 on the Maglite AAA LED. I have one for the office and it works really well.

14. Kardolf

Kardolf Loaded Pockets

Good catch. I should have said multi-mode to begin with. My friend works as a maintenance guy for a good sized campus, and could be working in an HVAC controller one moment (150 lumens would be blinding), and a 40' ceiling 5000+ seat auditorium the next (28 lumens is not enough to see the far wall).

I haven't been a fan of Maglights for a long time, but will take a look at this.

15. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

At which point, I really think he would need two different lights - I can't think of a "penlight" that I'd trust to throw enough light to check out a 40' ceiling.

If it's something he's going to be holding in his teeth, he might as well go all the way and get a headlamp - save wear and tear on the teeth, and be a little more comfortable as well. The Rayovac Indestructible v2 would be my recommendation at $9.99.

That said, the Microstream x1 AAA, the Streamlight x2 AAA, the MiniMaglite AAA LED, the E05 for close-quarters work, all are good choices that could easily be manipulated by hand or, if necessary, by mouth.

L3 Illumination has two more contenders to consider: the L10 (runs on a single AA) in three or four modes. The same light in AAA, which more "mouth friendly", the L08. The three mode is probably best in this case - twisty activation and mode selection, 3/30/120.

Shur likes this.
  16. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

?? I test for output and runtime, obviously, on the low modes I use most (Selfbuilt is a good proxy for high modes, but I don't use them much). I find ANSI specs from certain manufacturers, and even certain product lines within the same manufacturers to be either conservative or overly exaggerated... and were talking in the 2X lumen-hrs differences in spec sheets for what is the same performance, even among highly reputable manufacturers. I like to know who's full of :censored:, and who's honest - it heavily influences my repeat purchases. I like to know the efficiency of the light I'm backpacking with so I don't have carry extra weight in batts, etc. etc.

ANSI rules are wide enough to drive a truck through. As one example, google "Maglight XL50" and click on the first CPF thread that comes up and look at the output/runtime graph.... 104 lumens for 8hrs (800 lumen-hrs!) from 3xAAAs! That has a bit more energy than 1xAA and my smell test for a well regulated 1xAA ~150-200 lumen-hrs.

17. 0dBm

0dBm Loaded Pockets

So you test for peak output on a low modes. Describe your measurement technique. What's the capacity of your stopwatch?

18. Revival

Revival Loaded Pockets

Streamlight micro stream attached to a hat. If needed, its cheaper to get a new hat than to get new teeth!