1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Looking for a pair of worthwhile boots . . .

Discussion in 'EDC Clothing' started by JeffLrrp, Mar 23, 2009.

1. JeffLrrp

JeffLrrp Empty Pockets

Dear everybody,

I'm slowly but surely saving up for a good pair of boots. Should have the money by the end of the summer. I am looking for a pair of boots under $200, relatively waterproof, leather, with a good sole, not too heavy, between 4-6 inches of ankle support. Will be used mainly for hiking.

I'm looking for your opinions in this matter -- if you've got a decent pair, I want to know about them, their price, and how long you've had them and if they're still holding up. Currently, I'm looking at Danner, Columbia, Merrel, Vasque, Red Wing, Keen, Hi-Tec, New Balance (yes they have a pair of hiking shoes/boots) and some military suppliers, such as Belleville and Corcoran.

If it could be, I would like to get a pair made in the USA, however, this is not a determining factor for me, just a plus; I've got a pair of Avia hiking shoes I've been using for around a year, and besides the sole flattening after numerous rocky trips, these Chinese made shoes have held up rather well.

Thanks everyone for their imput. I look forward to hearing from you.

2. rlocock

rlocock Empty Pockets

I don't know if you can get them in the U.S.,but I am currently on my second pair of Meindl Borneo boots.I hike up to 40 miles once a month and between 5 and 10 miles daily.I have had the current pair for just three years now and I guess their is another year of wear left in the sole.They are comfortable straight out of the box,no goretex lining (my choice).They are about £100 to £120 so may be at the high end of your budget.
    Hope this helps.

3. InspektorGadget

InspektorGadget Loaded Pockets

I have been looking for the same thing. I recently picked up a pair of Timberlands that were supposed to be waterproof (theyre not). They are fairly comfortable but I expected better. I recommend avoiding them. A lot of guys at work get the Red Wings and they seem to take the abuse pretty well. Good luck on your hunt.

4. nick nitro

nick nitro Loaded Pockets

I have had good luck with Danner Boots.

Plus side

Goretex
    Made to be re-soled (either sent back to Danner or done local)
    Lace to toe (makes for better fit)

Negative side

Very heavy
    Hard to break in. (soak in water 2 hrs. put them on and cut the grass until boots dry out. Apply liberal amt of neatsfoot oil)
    Pricey

5. ajacobs

ajacobs Loaded Pockets

As a side note you really shouldn't use neatsfoot oil with goretex. Opt for saddlesoap.

6. dewildeman

dewildeman Loaded Pockets

I bought a pair of Lowa's about 6-7 years ago. I wear them almost daily, I've got a cushy inside job but I do occassionaly hike in them. I wore them at Philmont up Mt. Phillips and the Tooth of Time. I'd say they have another year or two left in them. Brought them on sale at REI for around $125 IIRC.

7. Schattenwolf

Schattenwolf Empty Pockets

I like to carry Meindl, Hanwag and Lowa. These boots have a very good quality, correct fit and long durability.
    The manufacture from Meindl is only 30 km far away from me.

8. mosrogfor

mosrogfor Empty Pockets

I've had my best lucks with Lowa and Danner. Personally I like Lowa for everyday use and the Danner's for heavy duty use.

9. metalfof

metalfof Empty Pockets

I have had good results with Danner and Zamberlan(Italian).

10. milox

milox Loaded Pockets

Check out Wellco boots,

The spartan models looks interesting and it comes in 2 variants.

# The black boot is water proof and the tan is not.
    # The black boot is full grain leather and the tan is fleshout leather
    # They are both spike/puncture resistant.

I haven't found any reviews on these.

11. scme

scme Loaded Pockets

I purchased a pair of Vasque Zephyr GTX the other day at my local Red Wing store (RW owns Vasque). Per Vasque web site they are a light weight hiker for light loads. They are made in China but seem to be very well built and were on clearance for $79.99 so you might want to check out a local Red Wing store. The light brown two tone style I purchased are a discontinued model so YMMV.