1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Looking for a non-assisted flipper in the $50-$75 range

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Jdjernigan, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Jdjernigan

Jdjernigan Loaded Pockets

I have a Kershaw Cryo and I’ve have several ZT flippers that are assisted but now I’m looking for some recommendations on non-assisted flippers that are in the range of $50-$75. The one that has caught my eye is the RealSteel Megladon which I can find for right around $60. I’m sure there are others and some of you might have experience with the Megladon.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. joshwhoha

joshwhoha Loaded Pockets

In my opinion the CRKT Fossil series is highly underrated. Standard budget-grade steel (8cr if memory serves) but the design is excellent and the action is phenomenal as it runs on bearings. Falls on the lower end of your price range too.

ETA: I have to confess, I was actually not all that familiar with the megalodon so I looked it up. For design I'd still go fossil series, for steel/cutting performance I'd go megalodon; not sure what others think but I definitely notice a difference between 14c and 8cr. Better yet, get both. If you're in the US you can get a fossil at wally world for only $40.

Last edited by joshwhoha, Feb 10, 2018
    #2 joshwhoha, Feb 10, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
    Jdjernigan likes this.
  3. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Kershaw, despite their reputation for assisted opening, actually do have a number of knives that are both manual and flipper. Just do a 'filter' and all the non-assisted knives will come up. Of course the prices shown will be MSRP; but once you narrow down selection you can check street prices quickly at places like BladeHQ. One example at the low price end would be the Kershaw Chill which is about a 3" blade of the 8Cr13MoV steel; a new one is the Fraxion. The Skyline is also a manual flipper using the 14C28N steel; it is well known I think on these forums! Of these 3 I have the Chill. It is

Another maker to look at is Kizer. Yes, it is a Chinese brand -- but they've moved beyond making 'clones' and/or being a contract maker for American brands. One example: Kizer Vanguard Cucchiara Bad Dog. This is a flipper; blade is 3" VG-10; handle is G-10; price at BladeHQ is showing at $66. There are several others worth looking at there. Kizer make many of their knives in VG-10; also quite a few in S30. I have a couple of Kizer knives -- really IMHO top notch value.

Hope this is helpful to you.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

_mg_, joshwhoha and Jdjernigan like this.
  4. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

I don't have any experience with the Megdalon, but carried a Kershaw Skyline as my primary EDC for several years. It's an excellent knife and actually comes in a bit under your budget.

joshwhoha and Moshe ben David like this.
  5. Daveho

Daveho Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    Gotta say, as far as cheap and cheerful flippers go the steel will Mini cutjack in D2 is something I’m absolutely loving at the moment.
    I have found in the short time I’ve owned it, they take some breaking in but mine is at a point where a tiny bit of wrist has it falling shut

My3kidsfather likes this.
  6. KuduCuckoo

KuduCuckoo Empty Pockets

The Ruike P-128 has the same blade steel with a stainless steel handle. It’s an ounce heavier but about ten dollars cheaper. It’s also the smoothest flipper I have used.

7. Jdjernigan

The Skyline and Cutjack are on the list with the Megladon. I’ve been looking at the Kizers as well and will have to look at reviews for the Ruikes.

8. calvinw

calvinw Loaded Pockets

Kershaw Bareknuckle.

Mark Patton and joshwhoha like this.
  9. JOE68

JOE68 Loaded Pockets

I don't have the Megaladon, but I do have the Real Steel 7788 H6 Plus and find that it is a good blade for my purposes.
    It's very smooth when opening and the size fits my hand well even with winter gloves on.
    There is a smaller version as well.
    I bought the knife on line, and was quite surprised by the brand.
    Real Steel offers good value for the money.

10. drewthebrave

drewthebrave Loaded Pockets

If you go with the Kershaw Skyline, you'll have enough $$ in budget to buy a deep-carry custom clip for it. Especially if you get one of the Skyline blems from a certain Kershaw guy dot com...

I'll have to take a photo of mine with the custom clip when I get home so I can post it here. It really tucks it away, but it takes away the slimness of the standard clip if you ever carry it loose.

Moshe ben David and Jdjernigan like this.
  11. Gravy

Gravy Loaded Pockets

The Kizer Vangaurd Dukes is a wonderful EDC blade. It's the hardest firing, snappiest flipper I own. Great ergos and a seriously slicey blade. Highly recommended!

Moshe ben David likes this.
  12. drewthebrave

Here are those Skyline photos I mentioned. The Skyline is incredibly slim, but the standard clip carries a little high. I got a deep carry titanium clip from Pops Custom Clips on Etsy and it just disappears in my pocket now. This clip has my initials cut into it, but there are standard options as well.

The titanium clip sits much higher from the handle than the standard clip, so it's more noticeable in hand - a trade-off I'm fine with, but it may not be for everyone.

Even with the standard clip, it's an awesome folder. I just wanted something a little different. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

13. Jdjernigan

I like that a lot.

14. drewthebrave

The only blemish on it is the heavy stamp of the "KAI Made in USA" marking. Looks like it was stamped twice, so they added the XXXX to ID as a blem and sold it at a discount.

Jdjernigan likes this.
  15. Jdjernigan

Okay I think I have decided to go with the Kershaw Skyline and replace the pocket clip with one that will allow deep carry. I believe I can do all that and stay well inside my price range.

16. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@Jdgernigan: I predict you're going to be one happy camper!

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

Jdjernigan likes this.
  17. Jdjernigan

I’ve dumped a bunch of money on knives lately; SAK Rambler, RR Congress, LM Juice S2, RR Canoe, Boker Canoe, Buck Canoe, and Queen Barlow x 3, so I think this will be a late March purchase. I’ll plan it out and let you know what I pick for the Skyline.

18. EmberMike

EmberMike Loaded Pockets

I've been a fan of the Buck Vantage series for years now. Great flippers, various options for materials and sizes. They have the "standard" Vantage style (seen below) and also a "Force Pro" style that has a more aggressive looking profile and different scale texture and shape. The Pro line will probably push right up to the $75 budget limit, or maybe exceed it in some cases. But there are plenty of options in the $30-$60 range.

[​IMG]

LivingUpNorth and My3kidsfather like this.
  19. drewthebrave

That Vantage you posted looks really nice!

EmberMike likes this.
  20. Lateck

Lateck Loaded Pockets

@drewthebrave nice clip!
    I'll have to keep an eye on Pops custom clips. They are not taking orders right now.

Lateck,