1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Looking For a Nice Custom EDC Shoulder Bag around $150

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by SCUBASTEVE, Dec 17, 2010.

1. SCUBASTEVE

SCUBASTEVE Loaded Pockets

Ive found the multipurpose EDC bag from Flight & Fight @ $124: http://www.fightandflight.com/index.php/multipurpose-edc-butt-pack-shoulder-bag.html

And also the Tactical Man Purse (Wide) from Mountain Ridge Gear @ $108: http://www.mountainridgegear.com/products/Tactical-Man-Purse-%252d-Wide-(TMP%252dW).html

And of course Kifaru makes the OTW @ $198: https://kifaru.net/otw.html , which I really dig, but the price is high and I'm not sure about the form factor; the bottom edge sticks out while carrying and you can't overload because it'll pop open. I might buy it if I KNEW it was THE bag.....but it gets expensive going through bags :D

I've had several Maxpedition bags and a LAPoliceGear ZombieHunter bag, and none seem to fit the bill. I have a SpecOps THE Pack and like it for its simplicity and construction, but it's bigger than I need for EDC.

SO, I'm looking for an elusive bag; a midsize shoulder bag/huge buttpack (>1500 cu in) with the ability to customize the inside via velcro or molle for my subloads. I'm taking an interest in the custom shops...they seem to be as good or better than MaxPed but make a little more sense....sometimes it's just a few features that really make a bag.

Anyone got other suggestions?

2. Schuey2002

Schuey2002 Loaded Pockets

Shoulder bag/huge buttpack, huh?

Have you looked at a SO Tech Mission Go bag? I know they don't have velcro or molle inside (well at least not the main compartment), but it might be worth taking a look at. Especially since they only run about $90-ish (or so)...

3. Straya

Straya Loaded Pockets

4. panzer

panzer Loaded Pockets

5. SCUBASTEVE

6. SCUBASTEVE

So, here's a little more detailed explanation:

I'm pretty "fickle" when it comes to bags (just ask my wife!)...really, I feel like I'm looking for something that is in between two "classes" of bag. To put it in Maxpedition terms I think I want something no smaller than a Mongo, but no bigger than an Aggressor Tactical Attache/ Larkspur Messenger. But I'm getting tired of Maxped because it always seems to be lacking some major feature I need, and the sizing is a bit off....either too big or too small. Too small and I'm jam packing my gear...too big and I tend to uncomfortably overload with crap I don't need. I have several backpacks, but I'm looking for a "handbag".

I told you I was picky!!!! :D

Here's the best I can describe my usage and what I'm looking for:

1. Right now, here's how I generally edc:
    a. A change of clothes (shoes usually clipped to the outside to save space/decrease grime)
    b. Small toiletry bag (w/microfiber towel)
    c. Lunch in a tupperware container with an extra protein bar and piece of fruit
    d. Small knife
    e. Leatherman
    f. <4" LED fashlight like a mini quark
    g. Small firestarting kit
    h. Electronics subload with chargers for phone, cables for cameras, etc. I currently use a Maxpedition FR-1.
    i. Small admin items, like pens, highlighters, etc.
    j. A nalgene on the outside or inside if I have room

Very soon, I will be going back for Grad School but will be doing much of it online. I WILL however, be secluding myself from my two small children at a local Starbucks or library so my edc will look like this:
    a. 2-3 standard size textbooks
    b. A smaller sized laptop, no bigger than 15" (I'd really like a netbook, but worried about decreased capability...suggestions also welcome if you're savvy :) )
    c. Small admin items, like pens, highlighters, etc
    d. Small snacks, like a few protein bars or fruit like an apple/orange
    e. <4" LED fashlight like a mini quark
    f. Small knife
    g. Leatherman
    h. Electronics subload with chargers for phone and laptop, etc.
    i. Nalgene on outside or inside

I'm not going to war (even though I've been) but I have an appreciation for well made gear and don't mind the tactical look as long as it's not over the top (think gearslinger with all kinds of gadgets on the strap).

A few new features that I'd like that I don't currently have:

a. MOLLE on the outside is preferable so I can add a 6x9 slim tactile pocket or something like it if necessary.
    b. Loop on the inside so I can add hook and loop modular accessories.
    c. A nice, sturdy, grab handle on top (absent on most Maxped stuff)
    d. In addition to c...A reasonably comfortable way of carrying for about 500 yards....a wide strap will do.
    e. Padding is nice, but not required...I feel it adds bulk and I'll have the laptop in a sleeve anyway.
    f. Good, easy to use zippers. I can't stand crappy zippers that stick.
    g. Top loading panel (like on the F&F EDC) is preferable, because they require less space to open...but I know these are rare.

So there you have it....that's ScubaSteve's idea of the perfect bag (for now :) ) I'm a tough customer, I know....but I'm willing to pay a fair (but not ridiculous) sum for custom work and I just appreciate talking about gear and how we use it to make our lives easier. EDCForums is awesome.

7. Mr_Moe

Mr_Moe Loaded Pockets

Is EGL still in business? Haven't seen anything for some time and the website hasn't been updated for years.

It's 250 bucks, but you might want to have a look at this bag as well:
    http://zulunylongear.com/emissary.html

8. praharin

praharin Loaded Pockets

I can't speak for that bag specifically, but F&F is good to go. He did a couple of bottle pouches for me some time ago. Cull custom, but the turn around was DAYS from when we pinned down the design to when I got them. Send him an email and he can make you what you want.

9. sweetdaddyroses

sweetdaddyroses Loaded Pockets

i sure don't see how you can do much better than that bag you linked to on the F&F site: http://www.fightandflight.com/index.php/multipurpose-edc-butt-pack-shoulder-bag.html

i mean, reading how you describe what you want/are looking for in a bag and the way the write-up on that F&F bag read, i would almost swear that you are the guy they custom built that bag for to begin with.

btw, that is really a sexy-hawt looking bag, and for that price would be hard to beat anywhere. especially for a custom bag. plus! they will work with you to create precisely the bag you want. do you really need to look any further?

what color are you looking for?

10. Mr_Moe

Mr_Moe Loaded Pockets

If I may chime in, the bag was made for me. Turned out so great it became part of the standard assortment. F&F is great. So is the bag, one of the best things I've spent money for!

11. SCUBASTEVE

I'm torn between the F/F bag and the Mountain Ridge one. Both are pretty close; one is more tactical, the other more practical....respectively. Both makers put out great stuff, so no worries there. Price is about the same, it just comes down to minor differences. I can say that I'll probably be asking either to add some PALS on the inside of the lid and upper inside so I can hang some Kifaru lock&loads.....

12. grayman

grayman Loaded Pockets

Looks like the F/F bag is quite a bit smaller than the Tactical Man Purse.

I was going to recommend the RedOxx CPA Briefcase, but it doesn't have all the PALS stuff you want.
    http://www.redoxx.com/Briefcases-and-Garment-Bags/CPA-Briefcase/91096-Briefcase/130/Product

13. sweetdaddyroses

howdy, mr. moe!

the F&F website states that the bag we've been discussing in this particular thread is, and i quote, "a variation," of the bag that they built for you. i am, therefore, very curious just how much of a variation, or deviation, is this bag from yours? actually, i would love to see some pics of your bag -- have you posted any on this forum?

i must confess that i am finding myself very much attracted to this bag (the one posted on their website). however, i am not that fond of a top loader -- although, as an option it would be fine. i would love to have a similar bag that would also incorporate a clam shell, zippered opening as well. my RUSH 24 has really spoiled me for accessibility.

anyway, F&F have received some major kudos here recently and sound quite capable in the area of design and modification. i'm glad to have been apprised of their prowess in that regard and would seriously consider them to do some work for me in the future.

14. sweetdaddyroses

boy, tough choice! i'm glad it's you that has to make this decision and not me. you certainly nailed it, though -- tactical v. practical. the MR bag isn't really lacking all that much in the way of tactical. not with all those PALS. i like the way that the MR opens, also -- i like being able to find things easily. great built in organization on that bag as well.

a tough choice, for sure! i just think that for a few bucks more, with your input, the F&F people can take an already good concept, improve upon it and give you the bag you really want.

thanks for allowing me to add to your confusion ;D

15. SCUBASTEVE

I agree...I guess the F/F bag is just a bit more tactical, but either way they're both handsome bags. Probably the biggest dilemma I'm having is sizing. I worry the F/F bag might be a bit on the small side for what I need, but also that the MRG bag is too large. I feel like I would have a tendency to overload it. That being said, I guess I could throw a large kifaru pouch on the outside of the F/F bag and stuff clothes in it. Looks like I'm gonna have to do some soul searching!

16. Mr_Moe

Mr_Moe Loaded Pockets

Some photos of my bag.
    http://s834.photobucket.com/albums/zz270/Plainbrain/my%20beloved%20kick%20ass%20rockin%20custom%20pack/

First thing that was changed after F&F made my bag is to make the zipper opening larger. I've never had trouble with the size of my lid but it's a good change. Some time ago I had asked F&F about the changes he's made, I can't find the e-mail anymore. Seems to be minor things, like the elastic webbing inside to hold rifle magazines.

Steve, search your feelings you know it to be true. You want BOTH! ;D

17. SCUBASTEVE

STILL can't decide....I'm thinking the Kifaru OTW may be too small for a laptop and books...but somehow I know if I go with Kifaru I won't be disappointed. I really like the simplicity of the design, but the tapered "triangle" shape is kinda space limiting. I've even started looking at the Scout...it's about the same price and dead simple. Can be used as a backpack or handcarried toploader. Maybe it's a way to cut my teeth on Kifaru stuff? One thing I notice is everything they make really retains value....people are selling Kifaru for nearly new prices with no difficulty.

The F&F EDC bag looks awesome too, but I think it may not have enough width....it's listed at 5.5" and I'm thinking if I throw a laptop in there it could fill up awful quick....thinking of contacting them for a quote on an upsized 15x12x8 version....that extra 2.5" will make a big difference.

I still really like the MRG products too....I contacted them and Eric got back to me very promptly with answers to my questions. Thinking about modifying a panel on the inside to fit a wall of kifaru pouches. I think it'd be cool to open the clamshell style TMP-W and have all your stuff already organized!

AHHHHH! Too many good gear makers out there! For the money I'm looking to spend I really don't want buyer's remorse.....

18. cap6888
    • In Omnia Paratus

cap6888 Loaded Pockets

++++++++++1 on F & F. Dave Watson is GREAT to work with. I recently had my Kodiak re-worked by him to turn it into a backpack. He did such an awesome job, you would have thought it came from Maxped that way. I am sure he would do whatever modification you want to the bag in question and customize it to suit your needs. I know I plan on getting bag done by him in the next few months as soon as I get some disposable income. I highly doubt you will suffer from buyers remorse if you get something customized by F & F!

19. Mr_Moe

Mr_Moe Loaded Pockets

:laugh: Join the club. Have a heachache yet?

F&F can make you the EDC bag in any way you want. With any feature you can think of.

I've had a look at the Kifaru scout too. But 200$ base price? I don't know...

20. Blades

Blades Loaded Pockets

Here is another to think about: Eagle Industries Courier Bag, but it is discontinued.
    Blackhawk has the Covert Carry Messenger Bag.
    Unfortunately you won't be happy with either one. You might want to save some money and commission a custom bag.
    PM sent with someone.
    Good Luck.