1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Looking for a new sling bag

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by FlyersFanJV, Feb 9, 2014.

1. FlyersFanJV

FlyersFanJV Loaded Pockets

Hi all, I pretty new around here, though I've been lurking around for awhile reading the threads. I'm hunting for a new sling pack, and yes, I know I want a sling bag, I currently carry a 5.11 MOAB 6 with a small FAK, my lunch when I'm going to work, wallet, keys, charging cords, ect. I'm need something bigger, as I'm starting to carry my 13" Macbook Pro with me more often, and am thinking of a Condor Sling Pack, MOAB 10, or the Vanquest Javelin. I wanted to get thoughts of people that use the bags. Any ideas would be appreciated!

2. -Norse-

-Norse- Loaded Pockets

If you allready have a Moab 6 and it suits your needs except for the size, then a Moab 10 should be a good choice.
    I used my 10 for a while, but with all the crap a carry in the winter i hade to start carrying my Rush 24 at work.

I'm really curious as to how you manage to fit your entire lunch in a Moab 6 though. My lunch takes up the entire main compartment of the 10

CNeal likes this.
  3. FlyersFanJV

Thanks for the advice Norse. I pack a light lunch, usually just a salad in a bowl, and have it in the main pocket of my bag. I also keep 50' of Paracord in the bottom of the main pocket, and in the clinch pouch in the main, have a FAK, large moleskine notebook, and my mini iPad with Zagg keyboard cover, plus charging cables in the mesh pocket.

-Norse- likes this.
  4. slider76

slider76 Empty Pockets

If you want something less tactical looking but with good functionality and comfort, take a look at the small or medium timbuk 2 classic messenger bags.

NOT-A-FAN likes this.
  5. pipey

pipey Loaded Pockets

Hazard 4 switchback

6. TARFU
    • In Omnia Paratus

TARFU EDC!!!!! Junkie

If you've been lurking for a while on here then you know that a slings functionality utility is inversely proportionate to it's size. As you go larger, you should definitely start to consider two strap alternatives. The BST sub-forum has literally been litered at times with MOAB 10's, Hazard 4 Rockets, Maxpedition Kodiaks and Monsoons, etc. from previous owners that learned that the hard way. ;)

7. -Norse-

-Norse- Loaded Pockets

Wow... I'm unable to function with that little food. My typical lunch is 5-6 sandwitches with whatever meat i have laying around, 6 eggs, a 40 oz thermos of coffee, 28 oz water bottle, a protein shake and something to snack on if i'm particularly hungry that day...

Tarfu makes a valid point though. I'm used to dragging my moab 10 around when i go hiking and stuff, but i know many people complain about shoulder fatigue when they load up their sling bags too much.

BarksAtCats, Heavyduti and FACE like this.
  8. FACE
    • In Omnia Paratus

FACE EDC Junkie!!!

Holy cow, I was laughing so hard at that I nearly fell on the ground. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

But I digress, I am currently between a Noatak and a Jumbo but I still don't know which one is better suited for me. I think I'm packing it too much though cause I get shoulder fatigue from either. But than again it could be my old age. :p

Elg, -Norse- and T.H.Cone like this.
  9. PinoyBoy

PinoyBoy Loaded Pockets

I have a love/hate relationship with my moab 10, mainly in the organization department, but it has served me well. I usually carry a 14" laptop and a standard size textbook, and they do fine in it. I'm not hardcore as some of these guys and my load is very minimal. I'm just waiting for a bag the size of the moab 10, but without the molle and such. I've seen and compared my moab 10 with a Condor sling pack, and the Condor is just too bulky for my use. I've tried sling bags similar to the Javelin, and the up-right positioning is just too awkward for a sling pack.

Stealth digger likes this.
  10. Heavyduti

Heavyduti Banned

The Max Malaga might be a better option. Talk about organized! If you must sling it is a Malaga you should bring! (Lame I know)

11. FlyersFanJV

That's for the food for thought everyone. All I can say to start with is, :censored:, that's a big lunch!! I eat that much in a day! :) I have a regular Swiss Gear messenger bag, but started carrying enough that a pack is a better option for me at this point. I'm fine with the tactical/PALS look to everything, I'll probably get a better FAK and attach it at some point, as I usually have to carry Epi pens, benadryl and such for my daughter, as she's allergic to peanuts, eggs, and milk, so I tend to have that stuff all on me in my MOAB 6 if I go out along with a little boo-boo FAK that I have now. Sling bags don't bother me for my EDC, I'm mainly only looking for a bigger bag for my Macbook Pro 13" and the stuff I already am carrying, if I go somewhere far away, I just pack a standard duffel bag and have enough to last a week, and if I go out hunting, I have a Field & Stream pack from Dicks that carries that gear. The Malaga looks nice, and I think the straps on the Maxpedition bags are better than the MOAB, since the buckles are in better positions to undo the sling easily, but not sure I want Maxpedition after reading what a @sshole the guy is I worked at a Chick-fil-A for the better part of my younger years and was taught customer service is everything, eventually I was training new stores opening around my area the same thing. The Malaga CCW also looks a bit off or more cumbersome to access looking at their site, as I bag carry at work in the MOAB's hidden pocket. Out and about, it's on my person. Not going to lie, I do like the Falcon 2 and Pygmy Falcon 2 from MaxP as a backpack that can hold my Mac and other stuff I need, or a Rush 24 since I have the 6 and can just tier. I have a feeling I'm going to be spending more money since I joined here than I really wanted too! ;)

12. -Norse-

-Norse- Loaded Pockets

So does the waitresses at restaurants i go to, when a little guy (i'm only 5'10" and 180 lbs) orders the biggest meals they have, finnishes them and asks for more:hungry:)

The beauty of the Moab 10, though, is the ambidextrous strap. If one shoulder is worn out from the load it takes 10 seconds to switch it around and you're good to go. Then you can go back and forth this way for quite some time, and if both shoulders craps out on you before you reach your destination you can admit to yourself that you screwed up and should have brought a 2-strap pack ;)

BarksAtCats and FACE like this.
  13. FACE
    • In Omnia Paratus

FACE EDC Junkie!!!

Come to find out I've been slinging it on the wrong shoulder after all. :nah_disagree:

Blitzwing and -Norse- like this.
  14. -Norse-

-Norse- Loaded Pockets

Well, at least you found out, and now you can start slinging it on the right shoulder ;)

15. Blades

Blades Loaded Pockets

I'd reduce the amount of 550 cord, get a little extra room. Carry twenty feet and keep the other thirty in your vehicle or desk, unless you use a lot of cord on a daily basis.

BarksAtCats likes this.
  16. garethmk1

garethmk1 Loaded Pockets

I love my remora clone, had it for ages and is lasting well for £12 on eBay ... über bargain !

17. atilano

atilano Loaded Pockets

Agreed. I just went through this. I have a MOAB 10 in Sandstone in my closet that I switched out with a Rush 12. This occurred yesterday when my wife surprised me with a Rush 12 for Valentine's Day.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stealth digger and Blitzwing like this.
  18. FlyersFanJV

How long did you carry the MOAB 10 for? I'm leaning that way since from what I've read, it seems to be the bigger sling pack compared to the Javelin.

19. atilano

atilano Loaded Pockets

Carried it daily for about 6 weeks. The MOAB 10 is just as long as the R12. The MOAB 10 is about 2/3 the width of the R12. You can carry a lot in the 10, but it's not comfortable. If you want a sling bag, I wouldn't go bigger than the MOAB 6 or the Maxpedition Malaga (great bag BTW). Bigger than that size and you are in two-strap territory.

Here are some pics.

[​IMG]
    5.11 Rush 12 vs MOAB 10 by atilano EDC, on Flickr

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stealth digger and ShadowE like this.
  20. BarksAtCats
    • In Omnia Paratus

BarksAtCats Loaded Pockets

Ok, I am mentioning this specifically because you said sling bag and a sling bag has one shoulder strap. I currently use a messenger bag (one shoulder strap) and I make it work but it is slowly falling apart and I will need to replace it soon. I like the messenger type bag because it sort of looks like a briefcase (as opposed to a backpack, which, for my own reasons, I would like to stay away from); however, I don't really like the "flap over the top" design. More and more I have been drawn to Range Bags or Kit Bags (which, with a small stretch of the imagination, COULD look like a briefcase.) Now, range bags tend to be a little larger than I want, but the kit bags (specifically the 5.11 small kit tool bag and/or large kit tool bag) are really looking sweet. These can be carried with a single strap or they can be carried briefcase style with the handles. They have a lot of room, a little organization, AND they can be had fairly inexpensively. Short of looking at those, I would recommend the Vanquest (not because I either own one or have used one but because they are sold - and available - in the forum store.) Just my $0.02 :)