1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Looking for a new light (Checklist inside)

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by OldSchoolNinja, Jun 3, 2010.

1. OldSchoolNinja

OldSchoolNinja Empty Pockets

Hi all, new to the forums, already made a few purchases based on threads here. I am in the market for a general use flashlight that will fit in my pocket with my other EDC gear. I used the sticky checklist and this is what I've got:

1) Short Essay Question: What do you intend to use this light for?

EDC, walking at night.

2) What Region/Country/State will the light be purchased in?
    [X] I will be mail-ordering or buying online, so this doesn't matter.

3) Price Range: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest!
    [X] $40-60

4) Format:
    PART A
    [X] I want a flashlight.

PART B
    Length:
    [X] 2-4 inches. (Pocket carry)

PART C
    Width:
    [X] Doesn't matter.

PART D
    Weight:
    Lights of a similar size can be very different in weight and may turn the perfect sized light into a paper weight. In general a lights of the same size will stack up like this; plastic and aluminum will be your lighter choices brass, stainless steel, bronze will be heavier. I won't put numbers here because everyone has a different weight sensitivity. For the purposes of EDC specifically I'll limit the choices here to the more easily carried sizes pick 2 sizes to represent a range of weight.
    [X] Medium, slightly heavier than a AA MiniMag

5) What kind of "bulb".
    [X] LED - more rugged, unlikely to burn out in your lifetime, less accurate color rendition, in general less output but more efficient (longer runtimes)

6) What batteries do you want to use? Alkaline batteries are easier to find and less expensive but don't pack as much stored energy and are don't work well in cold temperatures. Lithium batteries have long shelf life (10+ years, great for stored emergency lights) and are not as affected by cold but must be kept dry and are more expensive. Rechargeable start expensive, but if used frequently pay off quickly.
    [X] I want lithium batteries. (coin cells, CR123, AAA, AA...)

7) How much light do you want? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).
    [X] I want to walk unpaved trails. (40 lumens)

8) Throw vs Flood: Which do you prefer, lights that flood an area with a wide beam, or lights that "throw" with a tightly focused beam? Place an “X” on the line below. Sometimes a flood is better particularly closer up or indoors. You won't have to "sweep" the light back and forth to see what you need to see. You can also just set it down pointing the general direction rather having to point it right at that which you are working.

Throw (distance)-------------------X---|----------------------Flood/close-up

9) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims (like some LED lights). but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries. Understand that runtime is a function of brightness and capacity of your batteries. If you want 6 hours you'll either have big batteries or dimmer light, they haven't made a setup yet that lights up like the sun, runs all night, and fits in your watch pocket. ;)
    [X] 60-240 min. (1-2 hours)

10) Durability: Generally the old phrase “you get what you pay for” is very accurate for flashlights.
    [X] Very Important (Camping, Backpacking, Car Glove-box.)

11) Switch Type:
    [X] I don't care.

12) Switch Location:
    [X] I don't care.

13) Operational Modes: Check all that apply.
    [X] A simple on-off is fine for me.

14) Is it important whether the body is metal or plastic/composite? In this case "plastic" and it's variants does not mean "cheap" or poorly made. In many applications a plastic bodied light is preferable, hard use and water resistance comes to mind; think caving or lights that get dropped or abused.
    [X] I want a metal-bodied light.

15) Special Needs: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Circle any below or write in your own comment(s).
    [X] Non-reflective/dark finish (stealthy/hard to find)
    [X] Built-in second (or spare) lamp or filament
    [X] Kuboton/self defense features

---

Thanks!

2. sjmack

sjmack Loaded Pockets

For that 40 - 60$ price range, you are going to be getting a lot of suggestions for the Quark lights. Before those start pouring in, I will also recommend you take a look at the Nitecore D10s and EX10s. My D10 is probably my favorite all around light.

3. jsmitty1967
    • In Omnia Paratus

jsmitty1967 Go Big Blue

Whenever someone tells me they simply want an on/off flashlight I always think PEAK LED Solutions. They are made in the US, exceptionally well machined, and solid as a rock. A lot of their lights also use optics instead of reflectors which will help with throw. For $60 bucks you can get an HA Logan that uses the CREE XP-G R5. Runs on a single CR123 or a rechargeable RCR123.

http://www.em-mgt.com/LED/Logan.html

4. OldSchoolNinja

OldSchoolNinja Empty Pockets

Awesome, thanks for the great suggestions! All of these look really solid, though I do like the NiteCore the best in terms of looks.

5. jsmitty1967
    • In Omnia Paratus

jsmitty1967 Go Big Blue

Nitecores are sweet lights. I have a D10 and it still gets as much carry time as anything. The UI is flexible and simple at the same time.

6. Perfectful

Perfectful Banned

You can choose the iTP flashlight ,there are many models fit you ,you can consider it ,and the price is in your budget.
    you can go to the popbuying.com ,but their's website have some problems recently ,and resolved soon .
    If you need ,you can PM me ,or you can also add my skype jjj19880922
    Then have a good time on it !

Daniel

7. sjmack

sjmack Loaded Pockets

I agree with you on that, the D10's are very pretty. Especially the Swissbianco special editions :drool:

8. pwatcher

pwatcher Empty Pockets

since you mentioned self defense features, I'd suggest Fenix TK11. Very solidly built, definitely a great thrower, and flexible enough to take either 2 x CR123's or a single 18650! I have one and love it!