1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Looking for a new keychain flashlight

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Zand3r, Aug 1, 2017.

1. Zand3r

Zand3r Empty Pockets

I've had the Quantum D2 for almost 5 years now and its not as reliable as it was when it was new. The battery doesn't last as long, the threads aren't as smooth, output isn't as stable, etc. So I'm hoping to find an alternative that I can use on my keychain. Some features I'm looking for:

-Roughly as big as the Quantum D2 maybe slightly larger or slightly smaller, depending
    -Variable output or at least 3 modes with at least 120 lumens max.
    -Slots for tritium vials
    -Rechargeable or runs on rechargeable battery (nothing that runs on AAA or AA)
    -Currently in stock!

It seems the D2 doesn't have many competitors for the features it offers, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Omega Man likes this.
  2. dml24

dml24 Loaded Pockets

The ThruNite Ti3 AAA Keychain Flashlight meets your specifications including three modes.
    3 light modes - firefly: 0.04 lm(115h)
    Low: 12 lm(6.3h),
    High: 120lm(0.5h),
    Strobe:120lm(1 hour)

A little bigger is the Thrunite T10 XP-L, single AA light
    -Firefly (0.2 lumens /240 hours),
    -Low (13 lumens /40 hours),
    -High (252 lumens /1.5 hours

One more single AA light. ThruNite Archer 1A V3

-Firefly: 0.1lumen(17days);
    -Low: 17lumen(22hours);
    -Medium: 75lumen(5hours)
    -High: 200lumen(115minutes);
    -Strobe: 200lumen(3.5hours).Max output: 200lumens using one Ni-Mh AA battery

Missing from the above are slots for tritium vials.

3. BigGreenTick

BigGreenTick Loaded Pockets

There are a bunch of 10180 lights out there now. Most of them are pretty similar (the CooYoo Quantum seemed to be the one that set off the flood). The only ones I can think of with tritium slots off the top of my head are the DQG Fairy & the DQG Spy. The one box they don't tick is the number of modes. They are both two mode lights (120/10L for the Spy & 100/10L for the Fairy).

Last edited by BigGreenTick, Aug 2, 2017
    #3 BigGreenTick, Aug 1, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 2, 2017
  4. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Hmm. If you didn't need such a relatively high level of lumens (for a keychain size light I mean), I'd suggest the NiteCore Tube. Very lightweight as well as small form factor. USB rechargeable. Variable output with high end at 45 lumens.

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

5. Weko

Weko Loaded Pockets

As BigGreenTick said, there are a number of 10180 lights available. I have the Fenix and Jetbeam mini. No tritium slots and only two levels 10 and 130 lumens. I especially like the Jetbeam as I have them in aluminum, stainless steel, titanium and the difficult to get copper.

6. Omega Man
    • In Omnia Paratus

Omega Man Loaded Pockets

I bought a MecArmy light to compare with my D2, and it was hirrible. The charging slot would only fit 1 of the 6 mico usb cords i had! The threading was way too short from opened to on, I didnt even keep it a full day, i returned it the next day.
    I found a dilema with your situation, which again, i was in too, before giving up and sticking with the Quantum. Cell charging.... There are virtually no 10180 chargers easily avsilable beside Cottonpickers or ones from China that recently popped up. I thought that in-light charging would be great, but it was more of a gimmick and totally unreliable out if the box.
    Have you given the Quantum a good deep cleaning? I monthly have to clean the + contact in the head, black square on the - contact, and both ends of the battery, with a pencil eraser. I also carefully wipe the grime from the bodies threads, carefully as to keep them lubed. This always stops the flickering that eventually develops from use.

O_G and Zand3r like this.
  7. ballistic

ballistic Loaded Pockets

Nitecore Tip 360, it's a game changer IMHO. I keep it tethered in my watch pocket with a QD Law Industries Tool Hanger for quick one handed deployment and retention.

G39 likes this.
  8. Zand3r

Zand3r Empty Pockets

Thanks for the heads up. I'll give it a shot and see what improves.

9. Zand3r

Zand3r Empty Pockets

Also, do you guys know what mah I should look for in a replacement 10180 battery and also a good vendor? I'm seeing things from 1200 to 70 mah.

10. G39

G39 Loaded Pockets

I just got one and I wear it as a necker. I had a CMG Infinity Ultra in that duty for 15 years

It's impressive for sure. I use mine as a necker. It replaced a still functional CMG Infinity Ultra that is oooooold for LED lights. One regular AA burns 100 hours and a Lithium runs forever with it, but it's a 2-3 lumen light with old technology. The firefly mode on the tip is as useful, and it steps up to 360 lumens. It's as bright as my olight S1R Baton turbo S if I stay out of the two turbo modes. Lots of light in a small light and the charge holds a long time.

Moshe ben David and ballistic like this.
  11. Westerdutch

Westerdutch Loaded Pockets

I think they go up to 90. Everything above that is very likely a lie/overstatement, anything under could be a lie/overstatement. A classic case of buying the seller, not the product.

12. BigGreenTick

BigGreenTick Loaded Pockets

Westerdutch is correct. That being said I have seen some of the 'reputable' 10180 resellers (MecArmy & Veleno) labeling theirs as `100 mah. I doubt the capacity is any different than those labeled 70 mah but they at least they are safe options.

I've had good luck with the DQG labeled 10180s that Gear Best used to sell but it looks like they are no longer available.

13. Devinsfdad

Devinsfdad Empty Pockets

I bought the Nitecore tube for everyone in my family, good little light and being USB rechargeable is handy as well. I still have a Maratac stainless AAA on my truck keys and a copper version on my wife's keys. The Maratac AAAs is a handy little flashlight.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  14. turbo6

turbo6 Loaded Pockets

For keys, the smaller the better, IMO.

It's extremely rare that I don't have another light within reach, so with that said...

Fenix UC01 or Nitecore Tube are great if you want smaller options.

Moshe ben David likes this.
  15. Gorn

Gorn Empty Pockets

1200 mAh is more than a AAA generally holds. Anyone selling a 10180 saying it is 1200 mAh is someone I would be very suspicious of when buying anything from them.

16. Willy

Willy Loaded Pockets

+1 on the NiteCore TIP. I have had one for about a year and just ordered a second one. No trits though.

17. choombak

choombak Loaded Pockets

Get the Peak Eiger. You have a choice between Al, Cu, Brass and SS.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

18. SOS24
    • +1 Supporter

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

I think the DQG Hobi (or the hobi plus with built in recharger) would fit the bill. It uses a 10180 rechargeable, 3 modes with a listed max 120 lumen and a slot for a tritium vial on the end.

19. sonofjesse

sonofjesse Empty Pockets

I like the olight i3e a lot. Under 10 bucks and love the size.

dml24 likes this.
  20. PBJS II

PBJS II Loaded Pockets

I have an original ARC AAA with a lithium cell. It isn't scorching bright but bomb proof last ditch light.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk