1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Looking for a New Holster

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by ?uesto, Jan 29, 2016.

1. ?uesto

?uesto Loaded Pockets

Hey all,

I'm looking for a new holster. It'd mostly be for home carry and when I go hiking and camping, so I think I'm going to go OWB. I've got a few IWB holsters that work fine, but I'd like something more comfortable that I don't need to conceal.

I'm also not opposed to spending a bit more for a nice leather one, especially if it can stand up to sweat and other moisture (I'm in Florida). I'd like some advice on retention, and a few recommendations on models if you have any, (open to custom work).

I'm not usually rolling around or anything when I go hiking or camping, but if I did take a tumble, it'd be good to know my gun won't go anywhere. Any recommendations on a snapped strap, versus a Carrylok type system, or something like Safariland's ALS system? I know I couldn't do leather on the Safariland, but security is more important than a sense of heritage I seek in going with leather.

Thanks!

Weapon: Sig P229

2. Trespasser

Trespasser Loaded Pockets

I like the Double D Diamond Guide Chest Holster. Allows easy access to pistol when carrying a pack. Other option would be a drop leg. I've tried other modes and it seems like my pack waistband is always in the way.

Mounted it to my pack waist belt one time and when I took it off I didn't have my firearm. Didn't like that much.

reppans likes this.
  3. les snyder

les snyder Loaded Pockets

my competition holster is a Blade Tech WRS with a thumb released spring loaded hood... dropped and offset, but not a drop leg holster... I used a Blackhawk SERPA with a 1911 and Glock, but changed to the Blade Tech after a knee jerk prohibition on their use by a local club due to the proximity of the release button to trigger location

pic of the Blade Tech... I had to make a slightly longer hood to clear the aftermarket rear sight...
    [​IMG]

pic of the SERPA in use at the 2010 Ft Benning 3 gun match

[​IMG]

jps, kensington and Wishoot like this.
  4. W-D

W-D Loaded Pockets

A n

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Crazy Chester

Crazy Chester Loaded Pockets

I also live in Florida, and am quite fond of UBG Holsters.

6. LivingUpNorth

LivingUpNorth Loaded Pockets

I'm a big fan of the Blackhawk SERPA for my XD-45 for outdoor adventure. I also have an older Blackhawk pancake holster (leather) which is nice when I want my XD tucked in a little tighter. It's roughly the same price as my Gould & Goodrich pancake holster for my 1911. They're both high quality leather and have strong snaps on the thumb break for good retention.

I've tried two different Condor nylon, drop-leg holsters, but I could never get them to stay put. It probably doesn't help having a full-sized, double stack .45. That, or not being totally ripped with huge quads to keep them steady. ;)

7. Durandal64

Durandal64 Loaded Pockets

If you need active retention, the ALS is pretty much the benchmark. I love my ALS, and have not looked at the thumb-snap type retention since. If active retention is not a deal breaker, why not go Raven Concealment or G-Code? I've done some pretty aggressive classes and shooting matches, and never had a gun pop loose from my RCS Phantom holsters. Prince Gunleather is my go-to leather guy. I know him personally and his stuff is art. You're looking north of 100 bucks on all these options, but why put a 500-800 dollar gun in a 20 dollar holster?

I've had 2 Serpa's go tits up on me during a class and match. Never again. Since moving up to a more premium product, I've had no issues.

quickster47 likes this.
  8. RAMBOCAT

RAMBOCAT Loaded Pockets

Highly recommend the WWII Tankers Holster. It fits a number of guns and holds them securely. If you want better than the standard military replicas check out the custom from Old El Paso Leather.

9. Telstar

Telstar Loaded Pockets

london bridge used to make a nice nylon tanker holster. Mine has been great

10. BigEd

BigEd Loaded Pockets

I own 2 serpa's, 1911 and a Sig. Use them at the range and that's about it.
    Don't do many comps other than turkey shoots and range days. I am not a quickdraw guy which brings inherent dangers of it's own.

Too many incidents like this:

!!! CAUTION FOUL LANGUAGE !!!

11. Nenavist

Nenavist Loaded Pockets

Give a look at Stealth Gear USA holsters.

Evil D likes this.
  12. Austinwolv

Austinwolv Loaded Pockets

Safariland GLS: awesome holster for ease, natural grip, and security. Accommodates a huge array of different pistols in case you carry different guns or even change primary gun in the future.

Avoid Serpa.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

13. Nenavist

Nenavist Loaded Pockets

Have a look at Remora holsters :). Plenty of options to choose with Remora.