1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Looking for a new EDC pocket light, what fits?

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Plainsman, Jun 18, 2022.

1. Plainsman

Plainsman Empty Pockets

Heres my criteria!

1) I intend to use this light as EDC for general use and blinding/striking defensive use.

2) I am in ND, USA and can easily order online.

3) My price range is less than $50

4) I want a flashlight

PART B
    Length:
    Prefer 3”-6” for ease of carry and holding in defensive situation.

PART C
    Width:
    I prefer a long narrow light.

PART D
    Weight:

Medium, slightly heavier than a AA MiniMag or lighter

5) What kind of "bulb".
    [ ] LED - more rugged, unlikely to burn out in your lifetime, less accurate color rendition, in general

6) What batteries do you want to use?

AAA preferred

7) How much light do you want? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).
    [ ] I want to read a map, find a light switch/keyhole, or get around the house at w/o disturbing anyone. (5-10 lumens)
    [ ] I want to light an entire campground or dazzle an intruder. (100+ lumens)

Dimmable would be preferred, however, high end is more desirable than low end!

8) Throw vs Flood: Which do you prefer, lights that flood an area with a wide beam, or lights that "throw" with a tightly focused beam? Place an “X” on the line below. Sometimes a flood is better particularly closer up or indoors. You won't have to "sweep" the light back and forth to see what you need to see. You can also just set it down pointing the general direction rather having to point it right at that which you are working.

Throw (distance)--------- X-------------|----------------------Flood/close-up

9) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims (like some LED lights). but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries. Understand that runtime is a function of brightness and capacity of your batteries. If you want 6 hours you'll either have big batteries or dimmer light, they haven't made a setup yet that lights up like the sun, runs all night, and fits in your watch pocket. ;)
    As much as I can get considering all the other parameters!

10) Durability: Generally the old phrase “you get what you pay for” is very accurate for flashlights.

[ ] Critical (Police, Fire, Search & Rescue, Self-defense, Survival.)

11) Switch Type:
    Either
    [ ] sliding switch (Stays on until slid back.)
    [ ] clickie switch. (Stays on until pressed again.)

12) Switch Location:

Either
    [ ] I want a push or sliding switch on the body near the head.
    [ ] I want a push switch on the back end of the body.

13) Operational Modes: Check all that apply.

Either
    [ ] A simple on-off is fine for me.
    [ ] I want 2 light levels. (Brighter/short runtime and Dimmer/long runtime.)

14) Is it important whether the body is metal or plastic/composite?

[ ] I want a metal-bodied light.

15) Special Needs: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Circle any below or write in your own comment(s).

All of these are in the “would be nice category, but not necessary.”
    [ ] Waterproof – how deep: 3m?
    [ ] Non-reflective/dark finish (stealthy/hard to find)
    [ ] Corrosion resistant or hard-anodized finish
    [ ] “Hybrid” light (bright incandescent combined with long running LEDs)
    [ ] Built-in second (or spare) lamp or filament
    [ ] Belt/Jacket clip
    [ ] Kuboton/self defense features

Thanks for any/all help!

2. DGladden

DGladden Loaded Pockets

My pick for under $50, AAA pocket light would be the Olight i3T. I have a couple of them and they are great lights.

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Plainsman likes this.
  3. watchcollector1968

watchcollector1968 Loaded Pockets

I believe you said 6" - I think for AAA that Streamlight makes one, Microstream. The Olight mentioned by the guy above is a very good choice. If you can tolerate a AA, the Thrunite Archer is a very nice light.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Plainsman likes this.
  4. Plainsman

Plainsman Empty Pockets

AA would work as well, Im just wanting something easily replaced and handy to have spares. Thx!

5. jocsen

jocsen Loaded Pockets

Check the wuben 05. The best i could ever find!

Plainsman likes this.
  6. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

When I was first getting seriously into lights I also needed an easy to use and rugged light that was easy to power and utterly reliable.

I ended up with the Fenix LD12 and would still carry one EDC if not for a few details that I evolved into "Needing" only pnce I learned more about lights overall.

I cant see how there could be more light for the money honestly for normal people than the LD12?

https://www.amazon.com/Fenix-LD12-Flashlight-Aircraft-Grade-Aluminum/dp/B007DMS1JU/ref=asc_df_B007DMS1JU/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241940204152&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=13140784843489046313&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9022874&hvtargid=pla-459253115217&psc=1

7. adnj

adnj Loaded Pockets

8. aicolainen

aicolainen Loaded Pockets

I’ve fallen off the flashlight train, so I without being up to date on the latest developments I’ll say I’m very happy with the Lumintop tool AA v.2. It will accept 14500 lithium cells and give you an unreal amount of light from a tiny package.
    I haven’t run mine on Ni-Mh or primaries, but I would expect a decent beam with those as well.

Personally I prefer the single AAA form factor for EDC, but I use my Tool AA as my outdoor EDC in the winter/dark season. I don’t notice the added bulk when wearing outdoor pants and the boost in lumen is very welcome in outdoor situations. The only negative worth noting is that with a 14500 power source, the low setting is still a bit bright and will hurt my night vision, especially when the ground is covered with snow.

9. victograph

victograph Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    My two carries. 8 year old. Fenix pd25 and 1 year old lumintop AA

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

10. NorthernHarrier

NorthernHarrier Loaded Pockets

+1 for the Lumintop Tool AAA or AA 2.0.
    For 2xAAA: get on the Prometheus Lights (Dark Sucks) mailing list and get a Preon 2 on sale.

I wouldn’t recommend trying to use a flashlight as a defensive weapon in a nation where handguns are almost as common as car keys.

11. victograph

victograph Loaded Pockets

[​IMG]
    This one looks very interesting. AA plus rechargeable. A little long but fits multiple bills.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk