1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Looking for a new EDC light

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by Jaysop, Mar 13, 2015.

1. Jaysop

Jaysop Loaded Pockets

I dont know to much about flashlights and im looking for some input here guys

What I need is a variable output, somewhat small and light weight light to keep with me in my pack, its just time to retire my surefire 6P.

Either 123s or AA is preferred.
    I've been looking at some of the Zebralight head lamps. What I like is that I can use it as a head lamp and a regular handheld. That's a huge plus. Saves me from needing an additional headlamp for the few times I need one. On low power they have good battery life and are decently bright. BUT according to a lot of reviews online and especially on the Candle power forums they seem to not get good reliablity. Something like 25% failure in their polls. With a 1 year warranty I don't want it to take a dump and have to put up another $75.

I'm used to Surefire quality but I just really don't want to spend the Surefire price right now.

Should I just get a smaller handheld and a headstrap or something?

A solid warranty with good customer service is important. I'll never own another Fenix light for that reason.

A point in the right direction would be really appreciated.
    Thanks

ManVsLawn likes this.
  2. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Are you still using the Surefire incan? If so, I strongly recommend checking out Malkoff dropins - the M61LL will breathe new life into your 6P.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  3. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

The L10 by L3 Illumination is also a very nice multi-mode AA light. Three or four modes, pretty reasonably spaced and accessed by twisty.

ManVsLawn and Jaysop like this.
  4. Jaysop

Jaysop Loaded Pockets

I was thinking about re purposing it as a emergency/power outage type light for the house. I just know there's better lights out in same size or smaller packages

ManVsLawn likes this.
  5. Jaysop

Jaysop Loaded Pockets

That L10 looks like a very cool little light.
    how would you rate the quality overall?

ManVsLawn likes this.
  6. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

Better is subjective to my mind. The M61LL will give you 10 hours of bright light (100 lumens) and then a long, slow decline. And disgustingly reliable to boot - Malkoff dropins are popular for a reason.

If you want something reasonably reliable with dual modes, the Rayovac Indestructible in x2 AA is a good buy for $15 or so. Two modes, so far no complaints using them as beaters.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  7. tmedina

tmedina EDC Junkie!!!!!

They've gotten solid reviews all the way around. The 10C can be hit or miss on the clicky assembly, but I haven't heard any complaints about the L10. Mine worked well until stolen and I intend to replace it as a general multi-use, single cell AA light.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  8. les snyder

les snyder Loaded Pockets

I like my Fenix E12.... single AA, 3 modes

OK_Lee and ManVsLawn like this.
  9. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

I love my original L10C but with subequent L10C purchases I found the quality to be a gamble and customer service bad. Still own several and EDC the original off-duty because the light is made perfectly for my needs (when you get a good one). For CR123s, I'd recommend Fenix PD35, but see you mentioned you'd never own another Fenix light. Why is that? I've never had a problem with any of my Fenix lights and I own several, including a PD35 I EDC on duty.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  10. Jaysop

Jaysop Loaded Pockets

I owned a PD35. I stopped working within hours. I bought it online and didn't want to deal with the hassle a online return creates so I contacted the manufacturer.
    First off They called me in the middle of the night. A person from china.
    They said they'd ship a new head after having me run a few tests. After a few weeks a wrote them again. Aparently it had to come by crate from china. Finally got it and it didn't work. 2 months later I have a new tail cap. Still doesn't work. They stopped responding after that.
    I eventually sent it back from where it came. I should have done that earlier but I found how pathetic their CS amusing.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  11. GatorMedic

GatorMedic Loaded Pockets

Sorry to hear that. Both of my PD35s have been flawless as well as my other 7 or so Fenix lights; as such, I've never dealt with their CS before. I can see why that would make you not want to buy their products again though. Hope you have better luck this time around with whatever light you end up buying

ManVsLawn and Jaysop like this.
  12. Jaysop

Jaysop Loaded Pockets

I heard so many good things about it before I bought it. I was bummed about how it turned out.
    I can live with a product that fails. I'd just like the manufacturer to stand behind it.

ManVsLawn and GatorMedic like this.
  13. reppans

reppans Loaded Pockets

Malkoff MDCs, Peak Logan or El Capitan, and FourSevens Quarks will get you long warranties and good US-based customer service - single cell CR123s and AAs for easy EDC pocket-ability and below SF prices.

I use traditional flashlights in aftermarket headbands, but find that simply clipping and rolling the light into my shirt collar under my ear to suffice for 80% of my hands-free needs.

ManVsLawn, Blerv and tmedina like this.
  14. Darth_Firebolt

Darth_Firebolt Loaded Pockets

i've had nothing but great reliability from my SC52. now i'm buying an L2 SC52 so my wife will quit asking to borrow my light all of the time. :p

ManVsLawn likes this.
  15. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I have carried an SC52 since the dy they came out,every single day in my pocket!

Never an issue of any kind.

I also have several ZL Headlamps too and an SC600 and an SC80 and again not a single issueexcept the one time the SCV80 turned on in pocket and tried to burn me down?
    That one has the old style switch that is not as recessed as they are now.

I love the ZL and so does everyone who sees mine and then gets one.

ManVsLawn and quickster47 like this.
  16. Tornado

Tornado Loaded Pockets

Can't help but join singing praises for the ZL lights, though I only have a SC52w L2 so far. It is my edc light so it's with me everyday everywhere. Absolutely love the light.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  17. quickster47
    • In Omnia Paratus

quickster47 Loaded Pockets

EZDog and Tornado what tint is your SC52, cool white or neutral white or another?

Carl

ManVsLawn likes this.
  18. Tornado

Tornado Loaded Pockets

Neutral white for me.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  19. kensington

kensington Loaded Pockets

Sucks to hear about your experience with Fenix. I was going to recommend the HL50 since it can use AA or cr123`s and can be removed from the headband but no point in it now. Good luck.

ManVsLawn likes this.
  20. Jaysop

Jaysop Loaded Pockets

I feel like a zebra light would be perfect if it works. Has anyone had any experience with their CS after the year is up?

ManVsLawn likes this.