1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Looking for a new backpack

Discussion in 'EDC Bags' started by flphotog, Jun 12, 2018.

1. flphotog

flphotog Loaded Pockets

Hoping you guys can help, I'm looking for a new bag and haven't been able to find exactly what I'm looking for. I have a North Face Surge which is ok but just doesn't quite do it for me. Had a North Face Recon but it's on it's way back to North Face (seems to be going by pony express given the time it's taking), also have a 5.11 Rush 12 which worked except that I don't want or need the hydration pocket and I was getting tired of the tactical look.

So, as for a budget, no final decision on that but for now lets say $150 - $200 but that is far from firm if I can find what I'm looking for.

To make this as short and easy as possible lets start with the North Face Surge and add what I'd like to see. Size wise the Surge is great, my major and really only problem is the lack or organizing pockets. I really need at least a couple of pockets in the two large pockets and ideally a couple zippered pockets, mesh or not, doesn't matter to much. The two large pockets with no organization is a bit of a pain.
    I'm also not to happy with all of the felt lining, I just don't know how well it will hold up, so felt lining isn't a deal breaker but I can certainly live without it.

Edit: Please backpacks only, no interest in sling bag, messenger bags or anything else.

Many thanks

2. Myrddraal

Myrddraal Loaded Pockets

I'm thinking the A19 Evade would be perfect. Or maybe the Osprey Nebula.

RED-FIVE, HELM and twin63 like this.
  3. twin63

twin63 Loaded Pockets

I agree with the Evade suggestion. Just a tad smaller than the Surge (27L vs. 33L), but organization is awesome. There are pouches that can be added to enhance organization even further. I've been carrying mine daily for almost 2 years now. Great pack.

RED-FIVE likes this.
  4. Crazy Chester

Crazy Chester Loaded Pockets

Osprey makes some great packs with decent organization. Look at the Nebula or Comet (a few others as well). I have a larger duffle backpack form them that is great, and other family members have some of their backpacks, and they hold up very well.

5. flphotog

flphotog Loaded Pockets

Thanks all, I appreciate the suggestions and will take a look at them all. It's hard to decide on an Osprey because none of the pictures I've found show much on the inside including on the Osprey website for some reason.

6. Crazy Chester

Crazy Chester Loaded Pockets

Try searching on YouTube. You can usually find the pack on a review, and see the bag in greater detail. The reviews aren't always that good (sometimes they are), but at least you should be able to see the bag in a video format, and see how large it looks and how the interior is laid out.

7. flphotog

flphotog Loaded Pockets

That was a good idea. Just finished looking at a review of the Evade and have decided against that for now at least. Very disappointed in the very limited opening of the "laptop" compartment. I won't be using it for a laptop, at least most of the time and would really like more accessibility.

If there was actually somewhere I could look at this pack I might change my mind but I don't know where or if that is even an option

Last edited by flphotog, Jun 13, 2018
    #7 flphotog, Jun 13, 2018
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  8. speedy

speedy Loaded Pockets

The best selection I seen is at REI. That is where I got mine.

9. Michael Rex

Michael Rex Empty Pockets

Did you find a bag yet? If not check out the Vertx bags. I carry a Gamut every day and really like it.

10. Uzna

Uzna Loaded Pockets

I second the gamut. I've had one for about 8 months and have carried it nearly every day. Good organization and the slim profile is nice. Very well made and thought out.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

11. SOS24
    • +1 Supporter

SOS24 Loaded Pockets

This thread is timely. I have been looking into getting a new pack, also.

Currently, I think the Evade is leading my list because I do like the organization in it. I was also looking at the Tom Bihn Synapse 25 because I like the water bottle pouch being centered and it also has some organization. I think I am going to also consider the Gamut.

12. Evyndall

Evyndall Loaded Pockets

This is remarkably similar to what I am looking for at the moment, except for the tactical look which I don't mind.

13. flphotog

flphotog Loaded Pockets

I wound up going with the North Face Surge. Not my ideal bag but it works for now.