1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Looking for a new .380

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by antman157, Jan 8, 2010.

?

Which .380 reigns supreme

1. Ruger LCP

31 vote(s)
    52.5%
  2. Kel-Tec P3AT

16 vote(s)
    27.1%
  3. Sig Sauer P238

12 vote(s)
    20.3%
  1. mrwhite1

mrwhite1 Loaded Pockets

Here is my newest 380
    Sig P230 TwoTone Gray Grips Nite Sights
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. silentstorm16

silentstorm16 Empty Pockets

A lot of friends carry the Ruger Lcp. I had one friend have a major malfunction the feeding ramp was eroding away due to certain types of hollow points. But ruger fixed it with no problem. And now his weapons fires perfeclty without any feeding malfunctions.

3. Tindjin

Tindjin Empty Pockets

Funny you should say this. I've been looking for a pocket gun for a while and couldn't make up my mind until I shot a couple of them. Finally decided on the LCP so went around today and no one had one in stock. Decided to get one online (prefer buying local unless the price is hugely different) so went over to the small gun shop I use for transfers and he had two in stock, something he normally doesn't have in. Walked out the door with an all black model.

Then I just get home from girlfriends after dinner party and start looking a deal on the Crimson Trace (LG-431) and a holster that will fit it. Found a combo on Gunbroker for the two of them together for a bit less than I could find either one. It has been a VERY good day. Got 200 rounds sitting ready for tomorrow morning when I'll go break it in.

4. Tindjin

Tindjin Empty Pockets

As a follow up. Went and put 150 rounds through the new LCP today. I had 3 different manufacturers FMJ and 2 of JHP. The LCP swallowed all of it with only 1 hiccup. I can't really fault it though. Could have been a bit of limp wrist action or odd flinch from a sore hand. I was at about the 100 round mark and was doing rapid fire. I hit the 4th magazine in the set (bought 1 extra and borrowed 2 from friend) when halfway through I got a FTE. I was doing about 1-2 seconds between trigger pulls during the magazine. The barrel/slide were pretty hot at that point but don't think it was the gun, more my form. This is easily the thinest gun I've shot and my hand was killing me by the end of the hour I spent shooting. 3 of the mags had the finger rest/extension but my other personal one didn't (have ordered some more) and I'm sure my grip was insanely hard making sure I held onto it during the rapid fire.

Very impressed with the reliability of it. My $2.5k Ed Brown Kobra had more teething issues in it's first 100 rounds than this one did with 150 rounds. I've got the crimson trace on order as the sights suck and if it was dark I wouldn't want to trust point shooting with such a small and reletively hard to hold gun.
    Loving this thing so far. I'm not cleaning it until 300 rounds then I'll take it apart and give it a good cleaning and start carrying it when I don't feel like bringing the Kimber along.

5. 3fgburner

3fgburner Loaded Pockets

I carry a P3AT. Most of my other carry guns are 9x18 Makarov.

6. Andy Wayne

Andy Wayne Loaded Pockets

Agreed!

[​IMG]

7. Polywog

Polywog Empty Pockets

You might also look at the taurus tcp just like the ruger but seems a little more refined, even though it is a taurus...

8. HOMELAND SECURITY HAM

HOMELAND SECURITY HAM Loaded Pockets

Well, due to the extreme value and the dangers in today's world, I dont EDC it any more, however, my ultimate and the ultimate 380.acp is the pre 1968 gun control act real "German" Walther PPK.

The value of these guns vary weather they are pre war or have nazzi proof markings on them etc.... Some of these go into the thousands of dollars.

There is no second best. Unfortunitely I cannot recomend the new ones. Since S&W bought the licensing to build these, the ones they produce are worse than garbage.

Although it is one round larger the next best 380's are the "German" Walther PPKS

For thoes of you that are not familier with the Famous PPK, that is the gun carried by James Bond 007.

The quality of these mouse guns range from superb ultra high German craftmanship and go down from there. Probably the next down the line is the Manurin (French) Walther PPK, After the gun control act of 1968 the size of the PPK made it impossible to import, so Walther put the (interchangable) PP frames on them, The PP (poleizei pistolie) {I cant spell} frames were one round larger and were impoortable these were designated the PPKS.

The more recient lesser quality PPK varients were made by the importer known as Interarms, These were the last of the reliable PPk models (these were, as far as I know only available in stainless). Interarms also produced the PPKS in stainless and I althouth think they produced a small quantity of the tiney TPH (.22LR) These are about the size of the little Baretta.22's however as far as I am told the German ones are the only reliable ones.

The most recient PPK varient, are the ones that are manufactured by S&W. These are so bad that they are available (used) in abundence. Most reputable gun shops try not to sell them. They are pleased to allow customers to dry fire them as the up to 30 pound trigger pull will put the gun in the disqualified class of options for the serious buyer. They are all but unusable.

Use caution in your decision making process when looking for a 380 in this size class as there are several quality 9MM's available in this same size, that are far more reliabile. And the larger 9 MM is the diference between a Cadiliac with a 4 cylinder and an 8 cylinder when you compare it to the 380. Also when it comes to self defense there is obviously an edge with the 9MM as the 380 (also known as the 9MM Kurtz or short in German) is comparable to the 9MM as the .22 short vs. the .22 Long Rifle, when looking for a serious self defense gun in this size I would opt for a 9MM at this time.

But as for the poll for the best 380the German Walther PPK gets my vote!

9. oakchas

oakchas Loaded Pockets

And, if you can't find a decent Walther PPK and are looking for a reasonably priced near copy of it, in 9X19 Makarov... the Polish p-64 can be had for less than $200.. 9X18 is somewhat between a .380 and 9mm Luger (9X19)... The ammo is readily available, albeit online mostly, is generally cheaper than .380 and 9mm (if you purchase Brown or Silver Bear (russian mfg)). The little P64s are really accurate for a little gun, and unissued condition units are inexpensive, with a holster, and a cleaning rod.
    Though they, like the PPK being all steel, are a bit heavy compared to the LCP and the Kel Tecs, diamondbacks, etc. et al... And that's one reason I'm looking at the Kel Tec for CC

10. HOMELAND SECURITY HAM

HOMELAND SECURITY HAM Loaded Pockets

I'll pass on the 9X19 Makarov, although european ammo is available, the ammo that is around falls short of the quality anti personell (self defense) rounds available for the more comon calibers.

11. jryan06

jryan06 Loaded Pockets

I carry my P3AT every day...small, easily concealable. I never feel under gunned with it. I carry an extrla magazine in the SOB holster. It is a pretty snappy little gun to shoot

12. amacman
    • In Omnia Paratus

amacman Loaded Pockets