1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Looking for a new .380

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by antman157, Jan 8, 2010.

?

Which .380 reigns supreme

1. Ruger LCP

31 vote(s)
    52.5%
  2. Kel-Tec P3AT

16 vote(s)
    27.1%
  3. Sig Sauer P238

12 vote(s)
    20.3%
  1. SlapNuts

SlapNuts Loaded Pockets

I'm not sure but I think it does.

2. antman157

antman157 Loaded Pockets

Started looking around online -- There hardly is any .380 ammo ... Hopefully I can find some at some local stores ...

3. FRagman1967

FRagman1967 Loaded Pockets

Yes, I favor the East German Mak's over all else, not to say that there's anything wrong with the others. I have owned and used Bulgarian, Russian and Chinese Mak's. Though for pure accuracy I've found nothing close to the East German.
    Yes, Shotgun news features at least one place with 380 barrels and the vices to retrofit either caliber. I am a militaria collector, though, so I prefer the original caliber when possible.
    It is a fine simple robust pistol!

4. robrit13

robrit13 Loaded Pockets

i have been looking for reviews of the new Walther PK380. Love the look of the .22 cal Walther, and this .380 looks just like it with more punch. Gunblast.com does a great review and has videos to go with it. Hope to get my hands on one soon to feel it out and see if it is a keeper.

http://www.gunblast.com/Walther-PK380.htm

5. antman157

antman157 Loaded Pockets

Yeah I saw that .380 ... I have the walther P22 .. It fits GREAT in my hand .. I love the feel of the gun -- Although it jams a good bit

6. DB

DB Kilted Moderator

Just got my carry permit in the mail today, so I'm heading out tomorrow to find a good IWB and/or pocket holster for my LCP. If they have it, I'm going to check out that new Walther PK380 and rent one to try out at the range while I'm there, and I'll report back.

7. tpd223

tpd223 Empty Pockets

Mechanically, the Ruger is a nicer looking Kel Tec, as is the new Taurus.

I'd go with the LCP as Ruger as great customer support and is made in the US, or the Kel Tec if I couldn't find the Ruger for sale, for the same reason. They both work, although the Kel Tec is more likely to need to be fixed by the factory to get it running 100%

I see no reason to carry a Mak, etc. when those guns are well into the size and weight range of the various small 9mms and .40s. Those guns used to be a decent idea for a CCW pistol, but the newer small carry 9mms make them obsolete IMHO.

8. Dirty Bob

Dirty Bob Loaded Pockets

I would generally agree with the above statement, except for two things:

1. Some people have problems with the recoil of the smaller, lighter pistols, due to arthritis or other issues.
    2. Many of us (especially novices) are far more accurate -- and faster -- with the larger pistols like the Makarov or Bersa.

If I had a .380 for home use and not for CCW, I would go with a steel pistol. If I develop arthritis or some other condition later in life, a pistol like the Makarov is easier to shoot than something smaller/lighter. For carry by someone who will practice and is not bothered by the recoil, the LCP or P3AT would definitely be a good choice.

Regards,
    Dirty Bob

9. SlapNuts

SlapNuts Loaded Pockets

Good luck with that. I can find SD ammo local but nothing to plink with at the range. That's the reason I'm in the market for a G19.

10. Dirty Bob

Dirty Bob Loaded Pockets

I got tired of not finding .380 ammo on the shelves, too.

I've recently put in an order for .380 brass. I have a source of primers, and a supply of bullets already cast and lubed for loading. Reloading is enjoyable, and a heckuva lot cheaper than recent .380 prices, even with the purchase of the brass. I'm looking forward to some more practice!

Regards,
    Dirty Bob

11. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Be sure to keep factory ammo in your .380 pistol.

God forbid you have to use it . . . One of the things the prosecuting attorney will latch onto is how regular ammo wasn't good enough for you. No, you had to handload your own super-deadly ammunition.

Yeah, I know; sounds retarded. But keep in mind we're talking about lawyers.

12. Dirty Bob

Dirty Bob Loaded Pockets

That's the plan, but I don't have enough factory stuff for practice!

Thanks,
    Dirty Bob

13. antman157

antman157 Loaded Pockets

Yeah Id love to reload .. Im nervous though .. Never done ANY reloading -- But it would be ideal for target practice -- I wouldnt keep anything other than factory hollow points in a .380 anyways for SD @Monocrom if going in public

14. tpd223

tpd223 Empty Pockets

Unfortunately I have both arthritis and carpal tunnel, so I am well aware of recoil related shooting issues.

I have noted that the various blow-back .380s/9mmMAK pistols can recoil more than a locked breach 9mm, not less.

15. hatchetjack

hatchetjack EDC Junkie!!!!!

If you settle on a Kel-tec or LCP, I don't think you'll find yourself firing 100's of rounds on an outing.(If you can find that much these days) I did with my Keltec to be sure it was totally functional and also ran a substantial amount of Winchester Silvertip thru it as this would be my preferred carry round.

To be honest, it's not that much fun to shoot but that was not the reason I bought it.

I also remembered ammo shortages at the beginning of the Clinton days so I made sure I was set up before the latest Fearless Leader took office. Same with all my reloading components.

HJ

16. lynnaea

lynnaea Empty Pockets

I'm also tired of the ammo shortage... it's turned my Bersa Thunder into a paperweight. Frankly I'm concerned that we won't see any .380 at all as long as 9mm is selling out, as I understand they're manufactured on the same assembly lines.

Maybe it's just that I'm in Texas but there is a major scarcity of nearly all times of handgun ammo down here.

17. DB

DB Kilted Moderator

I wouldn't let supply deter anyone from getting a .380. I'm still finding adequate amounts of .380 in my area. Most places limit 2 boxes a person/per day, unless you're using at the range where you're buying it, then it's no limit.

18. antman157

antman157 Loaded Pockets

Well today is the day ... Been reviewing the post a good bit .. Show opens at 9. So we will see what we can find. I really appreciate everyones input

19. antman157

antman157 Loaded Pockets

Well I didnt get anything today -- I am debating ..

I found a Kel Tec .380 for $260+tax ... You guys think that's a good deal? I can get a ruger from another store for $289+tax .. Just wondering what deal would be the best

Also considering the Kel Tec PF-9 ... Its not much bigger than the P3AT .380 .. And its in 9mm -- Which I have ton of ammo of

20. r_senik

r_senik Loaded Pockets

i chose the p3at, because the lcp is almost the same thing but cheaper right?
    but personally ill get the pf9, because the ease of finding the 9mm bullets.