1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Looking for a new .380

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by antman157, Jan 8, 2010.

?

Which .380 reigns supreme

1. Ruger LCP

31 vote(s)
    52.5%
  2. Kel-Tec P3AT

16 vote(s)
    27.1%
  3. Sig Sauer P238

12 vote(s)
    20.3%
  1. porkchop

porkchop Loaded Pockets

I was just in one of our local wally worlds today and the ammo shelves were nearly empty. The guy behind the counter said they keep ordering but nothing is being delivered. He said when they do get a shipment they only get a small percentage of what they ordered and what they do get is gone as soon as it hits the shelves.

2. antman157

antman157 Loaded Pockets

Luckly I have 4 Wal Marts within 30 minutes of each other.. About the only ammo I can find is shotgun shells .. Luckly 9mm is starting to show up more frequently .. Havent seen any .380 though :-(

3. antman157

antman157 Loaded Pockets

Has anyone seen the new Taurus TCP .380?

4. porkchop

porkchop Loaded Pockets

Looks like we're in about the same boat. They had maybe a dozen boxes of .22LR and a couple of boxes of odd rifle and pistol ammunition. However, if you have a shotgun, you are good to go no matter what you want to shoot, birdshot, buckshot, or slug.

5. solocanoe

solocanoe Empty Pockets

you know...I REALLY wanted to say something about .380 ammo scarcity and hammer home that point earlier...but I figure if you have your heart set on a caliber...then that's your business...besudes, that's the gun caliber that has seen SO many new small/light carry advancements - lots of cool new toys! ;D

but my gun club range (over 600 members) - and my friends who have the keltecs and the LCP's...they can't find enough .380 ammo either. I read a report from USCCA about 2 months ago that said it could take up to a year for the ammo industry to catch up.

I know it's not your primary piece, you said that.....just make sure you can find enough ammo to make yourself happy...otherwise, you may want a different summer carry setup, for 2010 at least.

6. antman157

antman157 Loaded Pockets

Yeah right now my primary is my G26 -- Perfect carry for Winter .. But as Summer is upon us, I am looking for something a little more smaller and lightweight .. The .380 is my preferred choice .. But who knows -- Thats 4 months away -- Lots can change in that time

7. Brules

Brules Loaded Pockets

I saw one at the last gunshow and held it next to my LCP. I liked the Taurus, looks pretty nice, but I'll keep my LCP.

8. powernoodle

powernoodle Loaded Pockets

LCP owner here. Its what rides in my pocket when I don't want the bulk of a S&W 442 or Kahr PM9.

9. antman157

antman157 Loaded Pockets

Yeah there is a gun show here next weekend .. Hoping to see a variety of .380 -- Wanna get the feel of each one before I make a purchase .. If I can sell a couple of my guns then I may purchase another gun -- Who know -- I love gun shows

10. JB in SC

JB in SC Loaded Pockets

.380 ammo is just beginning to trickle out. Natchez had the 250 round box of UMC in stock last week @ $99.00. I am reasonably sure a multi-million round run is coming in April or May from the Arkansas plant.

11. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

Use factory ammo in your .380 when carrying. Use handloads for practicing.

12. johnnywest

johnnywest Loaded Pockets

I like my LCP quite a bit. I love my Micro Desert Eagle though.

13. antman157

antman157 Loaded Pockets

Yeah I was reading the story on the Desert Eagle .380 in the 2010 Concealed Carry magazine ... It looks awesome

14. HOMELAND SECURITY HAM

HOMELAND SECURITY HAM Loaded Pockets

If money is no object, a real German pre-1968 gun control act Walther PPK. If you have to CCW a .380 there is probably nothing better in the world. If it is not a pre 68 German one, there are serious quality differences in the French (Manurin) models and the Interarms american models and the worst that I definately cannot recommend in good faith the new Walther PPK's made under license by S&W.

15. Dirty Bob

Dirty Bob Loaded Pockets

You may also consider keeping an eye open for a Makarov. There are some .380 Maks, and I find it a very easy pistol to shoot. It's an all-steel, 26 ounce pistol. It's a DA/SA, with a decocker/safety. The design is simple in the extreme, and Makarovs are very reliable. One negative for some is the heel-mounted mag release, but it does have the advantage of being very unlikely to release the mag while the gun is holstered, unlike some mag releases. The other negative is tiny sights.

Overall, though, the Mak has a very good reputation as a pistol that simply works, no matter what!

Regards,
    Dirty Bob

16. FRagman1967

FRagman1967 Loaded Pockets

Gotta agree with you, Dirty Bob, I have a couple of Stasi E. German Makarovs, though in 9x18mm... They are heathen accurate and reliable as all get out! I like the heel mag release, it is simpler and more robust than a spring mounted frame mounted mag release. :iagree:

17. Dirty Bob

Dirty Bob Loaded Pockets

FRagman1967: I'm jealous! The E. German Makarovs are the best of the best! Are yours actually marked in some way that tells you that they were Stasi issue? BTW: the German film, "The Lives of Others," shows just how pervasive the Stasi surveillance was. Very scary movie!

I forgot to mention about Maks: the barrel can be changed from 9x18mm to .380 ACP, although it's a task that often requires a specialized tool to remove the old barrel, and the new barrel may need a hole drilled for the pin that locks it in place. Barrels can be purchased from Gun Parts Corp. I suspect that many gunsmiths could do the job easily.

There are also some commercial Maks out there -- some in .380 ACP -- with adjustable sights, that were made in Russia. The commercial .380 that I fired had the adjustable sights and was a pretty nice pistol. The weight of an all-steel pistol really tamed the .380 and made it a very pleasant pistol to shoot.

All my best,
    Dirty Bob

18. oldblazer

oldblazer Loaded Pockets

At a gun shop last week I compared a Kel-Tec P32 and a Taurus TCP .380. I'm a HUGE Taurus fan but might lean towards the Kel-Tec simply because it is just the tiniest bit smaller than the Taurus. Several friends have Kel-Tec models P32 (.32) and P3AT (.380); both are the same size. The pocket clip works very well. FWIW: the Kel-Tec PF9 is a compact 9mm that is very small, comparable to the P3AT.

19. SlapNuts

SlapNuts Loaded Pockets

:iagree:

20. antman157

antman157 Loaded Pockets

the pocket clip for the Kel Tec P3AT works on the ruger doesn't it? I'm getting a holster too but I like the option of clipping it inside my pants if need be for deep concealment