1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Looking for a new .380

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by antman157, Jan 8, 2010.

?

Which .380 reigns supreme

1. Ruger LCP

31 vote(s)
    52.5%
  2. Kel-Tec P3AT

16 vote(s)
    27.1%
  3. Sig Sauer P238

12 vote(s)
    20.3%
  1. antman157

antman157 Loaded Pockets

Im headed to a gun show next weekend (Jan 16) ... I am on a mission to find my first .380 (for summer carry) :roof:

Anyone give their thoughts on the ones listed in the poll, the three listed are the only ones I am really interested in finding .. Which 1 is the best .. Opinions?

Which ones have the most upgrade options .. easiest to clean .. Lightest .. These are some of the qualities I am looking for

2. StorminMormon

StorminMormon Empty Pockets

I have shot several .380s over the past year in a similar quest. There are some good ones out there, but in my opinion there are two that I consider "the best".

[​IMG]

The first one, is the Desert Eagle Micro .380. It is awesome. It shoots great, it's absolutely dependable, and it's built like a tank. Of all the guns I've shot - you can just tell by holding it that in 10 or 20 years it will still look the way it does today, still shoot the way it does today, and the others will be in a land fill somewhere. It's design is about as close as you can come to a revolver when talking Semi-Auto. Once you take it apart, you'll see what I'm talking about. It doesn't have a safety, it doesn't have a slide lock, and it's double-action only. Also, it's very well designed for pocket carry. You should still have a little pocket holster because it's the wise thing to do, but since it's "square" in design it will sit in your pocket and stay there. Some of the more "L" shaped pistols tend to shift around (even with a good holster) and you're constantly fighting with it to stay standing up in your pocket for easy retrieval. Don't listen to what anyone says about the weight. There always like "boo-hoo...it weighs 14 ounces, the other guns only weight 9 ounces". Believe me, it's worth it. If you're going to moan about 5 ounces - maybe a gun isn't for you. You should just get a nice "go-phone" and call 911 when you're in trouble.

[​IMG]

I also like the Ruger LCP. It has some of the same benefits as the Desert Eagle. It's a little lighter, it has the same capacity for ammo, and it has one of the best laser mount setups on the market (for this caliber pistol). If you get an LCP - you gotta get the crimson laser. Believe me, you pull that thing out of your pocket and paint some guys chest with a laser in less than 4 seconds...he's backing off. If not, the he's in for a rude awakening.

Stay away from the Sig P238. It's got several problems in my opinion. It works fine, it's just poorly designed. Just because it looks like a 1911 doesn't make it great for pocket carry. After a few weeks, you'll end up carrying it on your hip in a holster and that completely defeats the purpose of a pocket carry pistol.

Hope that helps. Good luck! If you decide to get the Desert Eagle...these guys have the best price anywhere: http://www.shootersjax.com/magnumresearchmicrodeserteagle380acppistol.aspx

3. FRagman1967

FRagman1967 Loaded Pockets

My vote would be Sig Sauer. I hate hate hate polymer framed pistols. So Sig is my best reccomendation! I have 2 Sigs and they perform to my highest desires, as does anything by CZ, but I don't know if they make a .380.... Good hunting to you!

4. solocanoe

solocanoe Empty Pockets

I own the LCR (with CT grips), and have fired a friends LCP with the laserguard - so I guess I have a bias on the Ruger (of your choices)
    I have the same laserguard on my Glock 23 as you can get on the LCP - storminmorman is right - it ROCKS! ;D

I've got another friend with the Keltec - actually he has the .32 too....I think I've shot them more than he has (not much) but the Keltec seemed to work ok

and I SSSSSSOOOOOO drooled over the desert eagle "mini" in the 2010 concealed carry handguns magazine when it came out! :drool:

I traded in a NAA Guardian for my LCR, so I like the 'heft' of lots of steel in the tiny guns...and they shoot easier, if you are gonna shoot it often at all.

Hopefully you can get a chance to shoot some of your choices - all these little babies have 2 finger grips - neat to hold... but some don't like it shooting... :luck: in your search! ;D

5. Bowman1911

Bowman1911 EDC Mechanic

I own an LCP, & it eats anything, hollowpoint, fmj, whatever ammo you can find, it shoots. If I had the money, I'd get the Sig. I've played with, not shot, one & love the tritium sites, & well, anything that reminds me of a 1911. I love my LCP, but if I was rich, i'd have ths Sig & the Khar I played with the day I bought my LCP.

6. JB in SC

JB in SC Loaded Pockets

The LCP is a pretty good pistol; the several I've fired were reliable and had decent accuracy.

I don't understand the reasoning behind a pocket pistol in a 1911 style platform (Colt's or Sig 238) . Cocked and locked in a pocket? I don't think so....

I was impressed with the Kahr P380 (mine was a great shooter and very accurate), but I prefer a revolver.

My Model 60 carries well in a Mitch Rosen Upper Limit.

7. antman157

antman157 Loaded Pockets

Yeah I have a Taurus .38 revolver .. But I want something a little smaller .. I didnt like carrying it in the Summer .. Its perfect in my jacket in the winter

8. DB

DB Kilted Moderator

One more vote for the LCP. I've been very happy with mine and don't have any second thoughts about it. I also have a Bersa Thunder .380 which I also believe is a great handgun, but for easy pocket carry/concealability, you can't beat the LCP.

9. ironmike86

ironmike86 Loaded Pockets

i agree cocked and lock small pistol suck. At least my 380 Colt does. IMO if your getting a 380 for cc. The Sig is to big. JMO

10. Monocrom

Monocrom Loaded Pockets

11. knuckles

knuckles Empty Pockets

Somebody has to say it . Seecamp .380. ..Yes they are hard to get .Yes, they are expensive. For a reason.

12. TKC

TKC Loaded Pockets

I would also vote for the Seecamp in .380.

13. antman157

antman157 Loaded Pockets

Does anyone have the Kel Tec belt clip installed on the Ruger LCP?

Or do they make a clipdraw for the ruger? I cant find one online

14. solocanoe

solocanoe Empty Pockets

clipdraw makes a universal. got one I have moved from Beretta 21a to the Glock 23....(that's a big difference in size and weight)
    worked fine on both.

the clipdraw held fast, the tape IS actually removable with no residue, like they claim...and while the clipdraw isn't installed right now...I certainly don't regret it, and it does give one options...

15. antman157

antman157 Loaded Pockets

Cool! Thanks for the info

16. FRagman1967

FRagman1967 Loaded Pockets

Agh! You are correct! I forgot that a version of the CZ-82 was available as the CZ-83. And a 12 round mag, to boot. :brickwall:
    I love my CZ-82, but I like 9mm Makarov when it's loaded correctly.

So there, I reccomend either a Sig or the CZ-83. Granted the CZ 83 is like 4 times the size of what you mentioned!

17. Eagle Scout
    • In Omnia Paratus

Eagle Scout Loaded Pockets

Not in the poll...but. Semi auto in .380? Beretta 84 cheetah. Oh yeah.

[​IMG]

18. porkchop

porkchop Loaded Pockets

How about a Bersa Thunder? They come in 7 or 15 shot varieties.

19. Blaker55

Blaker55 Loaded Pockets

I just picked up my LCP today at Cabelas. $349 for a package that included: pistol, 2 mags, DeSanti's Nemesis pocket holster, 1 mag plate extender, 2 cloth/zip cases (1 large, 1 small) & a lock, with a $20 coupon discount.
    Certainly like it so far and seems to amount to nothing in the pocket.......so far.
    Got it cleaned up and re-oiled and ready for carry now. Have yet to shoot it but it feels good in the hand.
    One negative is the front sight is black and my old eyes have trouble picking it up. I'm going to add a dot of glow in the dark paint to make it easier to see.
    Love my HK P30 but hoping that this little LCP will be a good carry piece.
    Ammunition is a bit hard to come by though. Our Cabela store was out and went to another shooting store and had to put out $29 for a box of 50 Remmingon FMJ. Supposedly could have got it for something like $18 if Cabelas had it in stock.

20. antman157

antman157 Loaded Pockets

Wow, thats a nice kit .. Pics?