1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Looking for a key chain flashlight

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by figuy, Mar 15, 2019.

1. turbo6

turbo6 Loaded Pockets

Yeah, I would be curious as to some of the variables at play here. I will say, I've bought most of mine from various retailers, so they were not coming from one source each time. I don't think counterfeit Tubes would be common but from what I understand they do exist, at least at one time they did.

I had an older MT series (?) Nitecore many years back, one of the 2x AA lights they used to make with similar results - it was dead in about 5 weeks. Never dropped it either. Not really sure what happened.

My oldest and longest lasting Tube actually just died the other day. Looking back at my order history it was over 3 years old. However that wasn't the norm, others I bought were dead within weeks to less than a year, so it varied quite a bit.

Although I didn't totally write Nitecore off, I bought a TUP this past Christmas and it's been working fine. However any premature problems will likely make it my last NC.

2. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

@turbo6: hmm. Mine or at least three of mine are more than 4 years old I think. Don't know what else to add....

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

3. cm64

cm64 Empty Pockets

I have also had 2 out of my 5 Tubes fail. Another failed but it was caused by a loose wire & ok after I re-soldered it.
    Not a good track record for the Tube

FiaOlleDog likes this.
  4. FiaOlleDog

FiaOlleDog Loaded Pockets

Depending on your needs (amount of light aka lux/lumen) and the space you are willing to sacrifice on your keychain.

I tried a NiteCore Tube - and it failed within in a few months.

I upgraded from a ThruNite TiS to a Ti3 - and this works for me since years, with 1 AAA Eneloop battery. The size is acceptable for a keychain, IMHO, and it satisfies my lightning needs:
    • sub-lumen (moonlight) for "during the night"
    • medium (12 lumen) for general purpose
    • high (120 lumen) for "I need all light I can get right now"

If you are fine with twisty (vs. clicky) and the lumen spacing is fine I would recommend it.

Of course there are many other options with the similar form factor: Lumintop AAA, UltraTac K18, etc. - where some accept 10440 Lithium batteries and have much higher light output (200-300 lumen).

5. D56

D56 Loaded Pockets

Anybody tried the RovyVon keychain lights? - rechargeable 550 lumens, thinking about getting me one.

6. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Lot of Hong Kong marketing hype. Steps down to 65 lumens after 2 minutes. Did you look at the runtime plot? The battery is rated for 130 mAh...meaning no runtime. A CR123 has 1300-1500 mAh by comparison. Chasing high lumens in a keychain light is a mistake IMO. Use the keychain light to find your high output light that will run awhile or for close-task work. Search Candlepower Forums for more info on them.

Last edited by Tesla, Apr 9, 2019
    #26 Tesla, Apr 9, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  7. flux

flux Loaded Pockets

lots of people like them, but I would not buy one..

pro: small, bright
    cons: no runtimes, expensive, battery no replacable when it is empty or when the battery eventually dies,

I would rather get a good old AAA keychain light that might be able to take 10440 batteries as well. they can make up to 160-180 lumen for 30 mins to 45 mins, which is plenty bright. with 10440 they get even brighter up to 300 lumen, which is probably more than you'll ever need in a small light like this. easy battery replacement.

8. mike3145

mike3145 Loaded Pockets

I have had a Fenix e05 on keychain for pushing a couple of years now and have been quite pleased with it. I think once it turned on by itself and ran down the battery. I really don't think you could go wrong with one.

9. BC42

BC42 Loaded Pockets

I went from iTP A3 EOS upgraded to Olight i3 EOS to Thrunite Ti and TiS to Nitecore Tip. I've had the Tip for a few years on my keychain now and have had no issues with it. I liked it so much I bought a backup a year after and it's still new in its packaging. Press both buttons and it locks the buttons. Press both again and it unlocks. I have had it turn on in my pocket when it was unlocked before.

10. jon1all

jon1all Loaded Pockets

For a keychain light, I like Klarus Mini One. It’s micro-USB rechargeable and very small. I have the RovyVon Aurora A2 as well, and it’s great, but I don’t use it on a keychain (I use it as a light duty office EDC light clipped to my pocket).

A few things make the Klarus a preference for me though when it comes to being on a keychain. It’s shorter & lighter than the RovyVon. And it’s a twisty instead of side button (twisty is much less likely to get accidentally switched on banging around with keys in a pocket). AND... the Klarus has a user removable/replaceable battery. The RovyVon does not (that’s actually my biggest gripe with the RovyVon, so it’s essentially a disposable $40 flashlight for all intents and purposes).

Oh yeah, and the Klarus is half the price of the RovyVon...that doesn’t hurt. :)

FiaOlleDog and ran23 like this.
  11. kye4some

kye4some Loaded Pockets

There are a handful of them out there that are USB charging and won’t accidentally turn on, I have the Peanut Rev 2 in copper. Built in Micro USB and twist head 2 two modes 8L and 145L great little light.

“The rights of conscience, of bearing arms, of changing the government, are declared to be inherent in the people.”

Fisher Ames

12. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Not in my use sadly.

I have a few of the 10810 lights like the Peanut and they all turn on in pocket on me.
    I also want a lot more battery than these have in my Keychain light.

13. kye4some

kye4some Loaded Pockets

Might want to try another carry method, this has never failed me.[​IMG]

“The rights of conscience, of bearing arms, of changing the government, are declared to be inherent in the people.”

Fisher Ames

Nick4305 and FiaOlleDog like this.
  14. Swe_Nurse

Swe_Nurse Loaded Pockets

https://www.heinnie.com/manker-heinnie-haynes-touch-torch

That one has never turned on in the pocket for me and I have a really hard time seeing how it would. It's a great little light. Good lumen output, good battery life, small, light (it weighs 16-17 grams, the 26 grams is a typo) and rechargeable by USB. Manker quality. It is almost exactly the size of a protected 18350 battery, just a bit lighter.

It has two drawbacks, the activation is a bit slow, it takes maybe half a second to get started and for me personally the light is a bit too cold. But unless you need it to be high CRI and lightning fast out of the pocket you can't go wrong.

#34 Swe_Nurse, Jun 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
  15. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Yeah,that one is never going in my pocket.

I have been carrying a 4/7 Mini Mkii Ti for a while now and the extra Ti grittiness seems to keep the light from twisting on until I want it to!
    I can program it to the modes that I want,it is HiCri and came with a rechargeable battery and magnetic charger.
    This one is also crazy bright as needed and has a great Moonlight mode too.
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for the suggestion though.