1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Looking for a key chain flashlight

Discussion in 'Flashlights & Other Illumination Devices' started by figuy, Mar 15, 2019.

1. figuy

figuy Loaded Pockets

I have tried several and the ones I like the most are the Nitecore Tube, Tip and Tini, but I don't consider them to be reliable enough for EDC. Two tubes and my Tip died on me and I found them on or with a dead battery from accidentally being switched on fairly often. I'm looking for something similarly sized and priced with a 1 or less lumen mode. If it's two modes I would like the high to be about 50 lumens or more and run time of at least an hour. If it has more than two modes I'm fine with medium having less than 50 lumens as long as high is about 50 lumens or more. I'm also looking for USB charging and button(s) for switching. Thanks.

2. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

I've never seen a keychain be usb chargable, that would be handy.

I would say a lumintop tool. Small, has I think 5 modes, clicky and it quite durable.

I forget what the factory lumens are, mine goes to 600 for about a minute haha!

[​IMG]

CV801 likes this.
  3. CV801

CV801 Loaded Pockets

I have the Surefire Sidekick. Great keychain light. USB rechargeable. 3 light modes. The brightest is 300 lumens not sure what the other two are off hand. Push button activation.

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smokingfish and ran23 like this.
  4. this_is_nascar

this_is_nascar Loaded Pockets

I have a LuminTop Tool with both tailcaps available for sale. It's black, in great condition.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

smokingfish likes this.
  5. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

I can't seem to find anything that is USB charging and won't turn on in my pocket by itself?
    They all have so far?

6. assassin10000

assassin10000 Loaded Pockets

I carry a DQG Hobi (TI w/Neutral white led). It's twist on/off, so no accidental activation.

7. TNRonin

TNRonin Loaded Pockets

Mecarmy is good as well as countycomm's offering. Both are USB chargeable and fantastic keychain lights. I switched to the copper because its..... Copper.

Sent from my SM-T280 using Tapatalk

8. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

I've been using Nitecore Tube and now a Nitecore Tip for years. I've never had one turn on in my pocket. Guess either I've been lucky or maybe my pockets are just not so full.... I have several of them and wouldn't trade them for anything except something else in the Nitecore family if they brought out something so new and improved that I couldn't resist. Which come to think of it is why I acquired the Tip when it came out! :)

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David

9. smokingfish

smokingfish Loaded Pockets

Oh it's fun when the light is self activated in your pocket!
    Sometimes I'm at work and wondering why my thigh is burning.

10. flux

flux Loaded Pockets

USB charging and with buttons:

Rovyvon Aurora, get the one with 219c emitters = best color accuracy
    Ultratac K18 AAA/10440 - has charging port for 10440, sideswitch, AAA compatible

no button, twisty/no USB charging AAA lights with firefly/low at 8-10/high with 100+
    Astrolux A01
    Thrunite Ti3

11. figuy

figuy Loaded Pockets

Thanks everyone for the input. I wound up ordering the MecArmy SGN3-SW. I was considering the Surefire Sidekick and may try it if the SGN3 doesn't work out. The SGN3 was the closest to what I was looking for. Hopefully it will be more durable than the Nitecore Tube and Tip. I'm sure it will have accidental turn on issues having a button switch. Hopefully it will be more more resistant than my last two EDC lights.

12. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

Good Luck!
    There are many great looking lights for this it seems but I just can not find one that will not turn until I want it to!

13. CV801

CV801 Loaded Pockets

Not that I'm pushing the Sidekick (I don't earn commission lol) but I've never had that turn on in my pocket. I don't even know what could possibly turn it on in your pocket. It's a flush button that takes a bit of intentional pressure to turn it on.

briferg likes this.
  14. Gogogordy

Gogogordy Loaded Pockets

Now, if that was someone “special” you’d be delighted with that characteristic!

Moshe ben David likes this.
  15. EZDog

EZDog EDC Junkie!!!!!

The Sidekick made it one day!

I just have busy pockets?

16. Tesla

Tesla Loaded Pockets

Yes, it's a design feature for cold weather, so there's no shrinkage.....:)

Moshe ben David likes this.
  17. BigGreenTick

BigGreenTick Loaded Pockets

I recently switched to one of the Rovyvon lights after having carried a i3E for several years.

So far I've been pleased with it. No accidental activations yet.

18. this_is_nascar

this_is_nascar Loaded Pockets

Consider a Photon Freedom.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk

19. turbo6

turbo6 Loaded Pockets

Nitecore aren't exactly known for their reliability. They make some unique lights but not a brand I'd buy for longevity.

For example I've bought many Nitecore Tubes and the failure rate is probably over 50% within 6 months. Nice small light but it's a crap shoot if you get one that will last more than a few months. Conversely, I've had a similar style Fenix UC01 for 3 or 4 years now, original internal battery and all, and it still works fine and holds a charge. Not quite as pleasant beam as the Tube, but built much better, IMO.

20. Moshe ben David

Moshe ben David Loaded Pockets

Given the markedly broad range of experiences so many of us report with Nitecore Tubes, I'm starting to wonder if (a) Nitecore actually produce their own products or work through contract builders out in the Far East (China, Vietnam - to name the usual suspect locations) OR (b) if Nitecore products are susceptible to being 'cloned'/pirated?

I'm a champion of the Tube but that's only my experiences... anyone have thoughts of what I'm alluding to here?

L'chaim!

Moshe ben David