1. Are you a current member with account or password issues?

Please visit following page for more information

Dismiss Notice

Looking for a good neck knife, Buck Kaala?

Discussion in 'Knives' started by Marlinaholic, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Marlinaholic

Marlinaholic Loaded Pockets

Hi all, just gotta ask everyone's opinion on what my options are for a good neck knife. I want the following:

"normal" looking drop point blade about 2 1/2" to 4 inches, don't need a "claw" type, just bought a La Griffe for that and don't really want serrations

good quality steel, probably 154, D2, S30V

American made

skeletal handle with handy paracord size holes, just in case I want to wrap it, not really into neck knives with fat G10 or wood handles

I would compromise on any one of these points if need be, but the Buck Mayo Kaala seems to fit the bill all the way around. Anything out there better for the money that fits my requirements? Where is the best place to buy one, I notice there are a couple on Ebay at good prices from sellers with excellent feedback, but I have never bought any Buck before, so maybe you guys know better. Lastly, anyone make a kydex belt sheath for this model? I assume the included sheath has no belt or clip provision, but correct me if I am wrong. Thanks for the help guys, your knowledge is greatly appreciated by this neck knife dummy. :thinking:

2. JonSidneyB
    • Administrator

JonSidneyB Uber Prepared
    Staff Member

If you want American made how about the Izula or the upcoming Bark River.

3. bartsdad

bartsdad Loaded Pockets

4. Marlinaholic

That Izula looks interesting, thanks for the tip guys, if I get one, it will be from you Jon.  Hey, I noticed the sheath works with a Tek Lok attachment, do you sell those Tek Loks Jon, or if not does someone on the board that you recommend?  If I get the knife I'll have to get the Tek Lok attachment for my belt too. 

5. Exmasonite

Exmasonite Loaded Pockets

there's always the Boker CLB Edit

designed by our forum's own daywalker, you can't go wrong with this knife.

Also, you may want to talk to JSBurly about the possibility of him getting it in stock and supporting the forum in the process.

edit:

Ooh, i forgot... one of my favorite knives of all time: The CRKT Fixed Falcon. Discontinued by CRKT in their infinite wisdom :brickwall: but can be found for $20 or less around the interweb or evil-bay. They do turn up in the strangest places... dc'd in 2006 or 2007, i found one in my gander mountain 5 months ago, NIB. Has a weird/nifty IWB clip but better with the chain as a neck knife.

6. Marlinaholic

Ok, bought a Tan Izula from you Jon, and I am gonna buy a Kaala eventually too, try 'em both and see which one I like better. I might just keep 'em both. The Boker is just a little too Pudgy for me to be honest with you, but neat looking knife so thanks for the tip.

7. dionysus686

dionysus686 Empty Pockets

cant go wrong with a ka-bar becker necker! 1095 cro-van's a great steel, especially if its going to see some good use. and with a price around $35 its a great deal. i think its taiwan made, but still very good quality.

8. Marlinaholic

Thanks for the info. I don't know, with the Kaala AND the Izula, its pretty easy to stick to American made versions of what I want. They both seem very nice so I bought 'em both. From what I have researched they are both fine knives, and I actually don't own a single foreign made knife or multitool yet, so might as well not break with tradition. ;D

9. Aaron SBT

Aaron SBT Empty Pockets

I bought the tan Izula also, it's 1095 HC, a great steel. I sweat quite a bit and I have been wearing mine most days since just before Christmas and I have yet to see any pre-rust or discoloration, whatever it's coated with seems to do a very good job of preventing staining, and I like the big chain/lanyard hole on the sheath, which will fit on a large carabiner. Let us know how you like it!
    :cool: